Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > General Chat > Rumors and Gossip, etc...

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 03-05-2000, 02:55 AM
Inactive User

I was watching a president election debate and one of the guy's running SAID That AL Gore is trying to get rid of the internal combustion engine in the nect 25YRS.WELL he's not getting my vote.I guess he dosn't care or understand that car's will run on cleaner fuel's like natural gas?HE WOULDN'T KNOW A HOT ROD IF IT RAN HIM OVER.Last year over 1 million people went to the Woodward cruese a 1-day event!!And what about Nascar and NHRA drag racing ?IF he get's his way LIFE WILL SUCK !!!!!
Old 03-05-2000, 04:08 AM
Moderator and HEMI FIEND

In another 40 years there wont be enough gas to move the cars we love..
EVERYTHING sythetic from plastic to fake fur is made from a petrolium poduct. As the world gets more industrialized the more Petrolium is used.
Another thing to remember is our cars may be cleaner by FAR compared to what they were in the 60's but world wide there are 10-100x more cars on the road now than there were in the 60's. That is another factor that the Gov considers when it legislates Clean air laws.
In other words there is only so much "American Pie" and the more people that eat it the less Pie for each to eat..
sad but true.
I wont Vote for Gore anyway
Old 03-05-2000, 04:12 AM
Inactive User

Gore has always been a big proponent of the electric car,and he will not get my vote.As I've said many times before,It's up to you on who you vote for.If you don't vote,you have no right to complain.This applies not only in Washington,but your hometown as well.
Old 03-06-2000, 01:26 AM
Inactive User

I agree with youall he is the last person I would vote for. If you don't take time to get involved in what is going on around you don't have room to complain. I really beleave that no matter what the platform or type of power Hot Rodders will find away to make it faster. Just my opinion. Larry

------------------------
71 Charger 383
Old 03-06-2000, 01:50 AM
Inactive User

I read in a magazine about a year ago (maybe motor trend) that we will never see the end of gasoline in our lifetime.
Old 03-06-2000, 08:20 PM
Moderator and HEMI FIEND

I agree with Larry that hot rodders will always survive as far as the oil thing.
I know this there are just 2 major oil fields left, one is in the middle east and the last one is around the Caspian sea(Southern Russia). From what I read the Middle east(mostly Saudi Arabia) has another 15-20 years of pumping crude oil left.
The caspian sea area has what they think is a smaller oil field than what the middle east started with, so it maybe has 20-30 years, or so they say.
The 2 important variables are, will we find another large oil field and how much of the world is going to get Industrialized.
China and India have the largest populations in the world and bothe are going to be getting industrialised soon.
India already has one of the largest electronics industries in the world(read LARGE middle class who wants cars).
I know Im a little scared. And any Expert often has 2 other experts saying there full of crap anyway.
how do they get a tital "Expert" anyway
Max

[This message has been edited by Maxwedge (edited March 06, 2000).]
Old 03-06-2000, 09:15 PM
Inactive User

Over 80 percent of the oil ln the us is not being used because of are inviormental laws, their to strick and are oil feilds are shut down. i think we have plenty of oil and can't use it.well anyway i think what will happen is hybreds will take over like the japenees did in the 70's on the auto market it will happen so fast that you will never see it coming .
Old 03-06-2000, 09:53 PM
Inactive User

Wink

I remember reading something about the world petroleum supply that said something about there being way way more petroleum than we thought 10-20 yrs ago. Supposedly enough to last alot longer than any of us are going to live. Who the hell knows? Experts are contradicting each other every other week.
Old 03-06-2000, 10:24 PM
Inactive User

Always remember that hot rodders will come up with a way.....

Hydrogen fuel cell plus nitrous, anyone?
Old 03-07-2000, 02:24 AM

Wink

Ooooo Turbo -- when talking about hydrogen does the name Hindenburg ring a bell??? Jus' wunderin'!!!

Old 03-07-2000, 03:01 AM
Inactive User

Sure does JC!

Nitro-methane.....hydrogen.....

Both would probably get you there fast, but explode and leave you there sometimes!
Old 03-09-2000, 08:54 PM
Moderator and HEMI FIEND

well maybe some of my concerns were just things I read from environmentalist wackos.
something I pulled off msnbc
"The entire refuge, at 19 million acres, is along the coast of Alaska’s North Slope, 95 percent of which is already available for oil and gas drilling. The U.S. Geological Survey has estimated the coastal plain could contain from 5.7 billion to 16 billion barrels of oil. Even if drilling was approved, it could take a decade before production begins.
Murkowski said his legislation would allow oil development on only a small part of the 1.5-million-acre coastal plain. Even if only 7 billion barrels were produced,he argued, that’s the equivalent of 30 years’ worth of oil imports from Saudi Arabia."
Maxwe
Old 03-14-2000, 01:00 PM
Inactive User

Here's the biggest problem that I have with this so called "world trade".We are pumping oil from the Alaska Pipeline and there are lots of oil derricks pumping oil and gas off of the coast of Louisiana and Alabama in the Gulf of Mexico.Where is this stuff going?? Japan?? And if we are having this great productivity,why are we buying oil from the Arab Emirates?? To stop countries of aggression(Iraq)from invading and taking over that oil supply?? This whole deal makes no sense to me at all.If someone knows,I'd sure like to hear about it.
Old 03-14-2000, 02:13 PM

Most of the American crude stays in America. Some of it goes to Canada and Mexico.

ALL oil is being traded at the same cost per barrel. American oil is no cheaper than OPEC oil.

All of the American oil producers limit their production, to maintain profit ratios. Most of them don't like doing this, but the American government pays them to do this. Just like the American government pays them to cap new wells and pays them on a yearly basis to keep those wells capped.

Ed

------------------
'96 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT CC 360 4X4
'68 Charger 383-4
Old 03-14-2000, 08:25 PM
Inactive User

hey Max, you get to be an "Expert" when a couple of your buddies say your right. I'll vouch for you if you'll vouch for me!?!?!? As far as capping the wells and getting paid for it thats the same way they do the farmers, they get paid for not planting certain crops and/or fields they own. This way the supply doesn't exceed demand, prices stay up for the economy and they can tell us how careful we should be using this product because of the short supply. As far as muscle cars dieing, they are as most of us know them. The EPA is way to powerful even if they can't figure out how dumb it is to give a polution credit to a noxious spewing factory for crushing my car that sits in my backyard out of sight of the neighbors just because it does't run right now!!!
Old 03-18-2000, 08:59 PM
Inactive User

I believe that part of the reason our oil production is limited is for national secruity reasons. If a war were to start we would require a great deal of oil. I doubt that we would be able to buy it from any one else. Also I read another expert(?) that stated that there is basically an unlimited supply of oil in the earth, it didn't come from dead dinos, and that this is all about profits. I wish I could remember his name, but alot of other experts discredit him because he doesn't preach the popular line. Just like there is no proof of the green house affect. Just my opinion. Larry
Old 04-13-2000, 01:51 PM
Self proclaimed expert

Biggrin

As long as there is corn sugar yeast and copper tubing we will be able to run alcohol even if we have to make it ourselves. As far as oil goes. Oil is just the easiest way to get fuel, not necessarily the best. Gasoline can be made from coal, the Germans did it in world war two. The chrysler turbine car ran on cognac and Chanel no.5 when it toured europe. The only reason we aren't driving 300 or 400hp cars that get 60miles to the gallon is because the oil companies don't want us to. When the oil finally starts to run out, things might improve for hotrodders, you never know. Superchargers and turbos get better milage and more power. Why don't they make more cars with turbos and SCs???? They don't want to. They might make a couple dollars less on the sale.
Old 04-13-2000, 07:25 PM
Inactive User

Cool

Where I live, there's oilfield after oilfield. There's tons of production. Despite all this, the general consensus is that they've barely scratched the surface of what's available.

Sounds good to me.

See you in hell, treehuggers!

------------------
99' Dakota Clubcab SLT 2wd in Metallic Red and Driftwood two-tone. It has the 318/auto, 3.55 ltd. slip, tire and handling package, pretty much all other options. No specific mods, YET!