Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 03-23-1999, 03:07 AM
LUZ

I have a 1972 Dodge Charger SE with 440 HP engine. It has a mild build up including a purple shaft 484 cam and headers. I recently put on an Eldelbrock torker II intake on it with a new Carter 750 cfm carb. Since this upgrade I have a hesitation when starting from a stop. It will get to the point of almost stalling with regular acceleration. It is not nearly as bad if the acceleration is hard. If you power brake it at the track it will get past the hesitation and run good for the 1/4 mile. Does anyone have any suggestion on how to correct this problem? With the stock intake and old Holley carb it didn't seem to have this problem.

Old 03-23-1999, 07:27 AM
ViperGod

Great build up, it sounds like you got a vacuum leak, check you intake gasket(if fact replace it) and did you replace you carb gasket with a new one?(the spacer between the carb and intake) check all of you plug on the intake. Now if none above, then you might have a fuel problem, check for Flooding,if there is no flooding, you might have a bad fuel pump, dont forget to check your accelerator pump on the carb( you forgot tell us if got a new carb or a used one.)dont forget to replace you fuel filter, and check all the lines kinks and extra filters on it that you might not know about...good luck

Old 03-25-1999, 05:22 AM
Dave

My first guess for a place to look would be the accelerater pump. I would guess is that you don't have enough 'squirt'. Although you are probably close. That would possibly explain why when you stall it up you have less of a problem. At a higher rpm the accel pump becomes less important because there is already some velocity to the intake charge.
If you were rich on your accel pump you would get a puff of black smoke when you stomped it. Check the linkage on the carburator itself to see if it is coming up short on squirt. I'd give it more unless it was giving me the puff of black.
Old 03-25-1999, 06:40 AM
Joe Gilmore

Check and or reset the timing it may need more advance
Old 03-29-1999, 02:04 AM
LUZ

Thanks for all your suggestions. I haven't had a chance to try them yet, but hopefully one of them will work. If anyone has any other ideas let me know. I appreciate the help!