Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > General Chat > Rumors and Gossip, etc...

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 01-05-2000, 12:53 PM
Inactive User

Cool

Ok, here is a topic that is sure to get some discussion. With the different age groups here, we should get a wide range of opinions, but that is the point, eh? This is along the lines of RAM MAN's "At The Movies..." topic. I was discussing yesterday with a good friend of mine what typr of music he likes while driving, and racing. Since music tends to affect your driving style, I'm curious to see what everyone likes. I know people who like to street race with certain types of music, while others (like me) prefer to concentrate on the sound of the car. What kind do you prefer to race? Or for long trips? Or those really fast, winding roads? If anyone says classical on winding roads, please post your tag number so I'll know to pass you!

------------------
~Elwenil~ ~.\|/.~
Old 01-05-2000, 01:45 PM
Mopars win..others whine

The music was so much different back in the 70's....gosh I feel old all of a sudden. When I used to street race back then my favs were Nazareth, Bachman Turner Overdrive and Steve Miller. Nothing lately really gets me going except maybe Metallica. If I did choose anything most recently I guess it would Motley Crue and Warrant. Nice topic to talk about too!
Old 01-05-2000, 06:40 PM

Cool

When driving on the street AC/DC comes to mind any thing with alot of drums and base. But while racing the only thing I want to hear is the sound of my engine and the roar is enough to get me in the mood.
Old 01-05-2000, 07:16 PM
Inactive User

Cool

OK - I'm showing my age a little here, but I gotta here the song "GREEN ONIONs" by Booker T and the MG's (its the song that plays in the movie "American Graffitti" towards the end of the show - when the Duece coupe races the 57 Chevy.)

Also RUSH's "Tom Sawyer" and the old Boston tune: "Rock and Roll Band" have to be "cranked up" to be enjoyed - and its hard not to crank up any of those tunes and drive slow !!!!

------------------
"Good Luck on your project."

Old 01-06-2000, 04:08 PM
Inactive User

I probably shouldn't even answer this one since most of you will not recognize anything I mention. For cruising, nothing beats Roy Orbison, but it's talk radio for long drives. Spirited driving calls for a tune like Topsy part II and for racing, the radio is tuned to the tower frequency.
Old 01-06-2000, 06:30 PM

Biggrin

Well, for the most part if I'm driving/towing long haul...It's got to be:

1. LED ZEPPLIN (on ten of course)
2. Springsteen(my Jersey upbringing ya know!)
3. Impossible to cross state lines without crankin' some Beach Boys.
4. Can you really roll without "gettin yer ya ya's out" the Stones.

Elwenil, I reserve my Classical for loading up the race car on Sunday Mornings, it seems to recalibrate everything - of course even it's got to be real loud!

------------------
Lead, follow or get out of the way!

Old 01-06-2000, 07:17 PM
Inactive User

Thumbs up

When it comes to cruisin' and listenin' you guy's have missed it completely! The only tape I need on any long trip is my tape of HANK WILLIAMS SR. Just me and Hank wailing along that Lonesome Highway. My Cheating Heart is put to rest while yelling out Hey Good Lookin to some sweet thing who makes me So Lonesome I Could Cry. All you need is some good hurtin' music and you and your Mopar can go for miles!
Old 01-06-2000, 07:29 PM
Inactive User

Country?!? Ok, ok. I can relate to most of everything even though I'm still on the young side, but I'm not even going to comment on dowling, lol! Sorry man, I can't go that far! My musical tastes range from classical to death metal, and since I am also a guitarist and drummer, I stay on the heavier side. For top speed crusing nothing is like Ministry's Psalm 69 album. Anyone ever noticed the Ministry T-shirt for "Jesus Built My Hotrod"? It's a full color pic of a 440 sixpak and on the back it says, "No man with a good car needs to be justified." That is a quote from a movie I believe, but I dunno which one. For long drives I like something a little more mellow like Tiamat or Paradise Lost. Some classical is good for night trips by yourself. General crusing gets anything from Kidney Thieves to Nine Inch Nails, to Misfits, to everything in between. Most of you have probably never even heard of most of what I listen to, but the idea here was that most enjoy some upbeat rock and roll when they have their cars in mind. No matter what style of music we listen to, I'm sure we can all agree there isn't any better music than a Mopar on top end, eh?

------------------
~Elwenil~ ~.\|/.~
Old 01-06-2000, 10:21 PM
Inactive User

Definately MetallicA's FUEL! You guys seen the video? Nothin' but pro street cars and street racing. Sorry, don't think too many mopars in it......... or at all.

jim
Old 01-06-2000, 10:26 PM
Inactive User

Here is a clip! check it out! Bad A$$!

http://metnem.simplenet.com/videos/fuel.mov

[This message has been edited by Dakattack (edited January 07, 2000).]
Old 01-07-2000, 05:24 PM
Inactive User

you guys like?

jim
Old 01-08-2000, 10:20 PM
Inactive User

Thumbs up

Dakattack, I'm not much of a Metallica fan, but that clip looked pretty cool! I'm going to have to see if I can catch the video on MTV.
Old 01-09-2000, 12:14 AM
Inactive User

Cool

While cruising I like to listen to Lynyrd
Skynyrd, Led Zepplin, Kenny Wayne Sheppard, and a little known band called Moondog Mane. But nothing beats the sound of my 340 sixpak opening up!

Teresa
Challenger T/A
Old 01-09-2000, 01:48 AM
Inactive User

Hey, I'd have to agree with the Skynyrd and the Led Zep. I get the feeling for some 70's stuff on occasion also. Hollies song about the woman in a black dress really comes to mind. I wish I could remember the name, but my copy has had the names worn off for years! Boston is also good for that sort of mood. Nothing like those Boston chords rolling through the interior at around 10 on the volume scale. I can also go for the Metallica, but I kinda felt let down by their last few albums. Seems like they kinda sold out after the ...And Justice For All album. Oh well, we all get old, eh? Anyone else?

------------------
~Elwenil~ ~.\|/.~
www.elwenil.cjb.net
72 Charger SE
Old 01-09-2000, 02:24 PM
Inactive User

Wink

Age??? Does it really matter as long as you are in a MOPAR!!!!!
Here's my pick's
RACING;
Heart: BARRACUDA (may not be a car song but cool anyhow)
JUDAS PRIEST: Heading out to the highway/ Breaking the Law.
AC/DC: Pick any one.
Steve EARL:Copper Road (a must listen for the country guy's & gal's)
Cruzing & towing music:
any 70's & 80 rock or Hair bands.
Maybe some PANTERA & corrosion of conformity
V10
Old 01-09-2000, 02:31 PM
Inactive User

Lightbulb

One More,
Trans AM by Sammy HAGAR.... If you listen to it the car beats a big boss ford & a 350 chevy but never mentions A MOPAR!!!
When I am singing it though & insert BARRACUDA for TA

LOL V10
Old 01-09-2000, 09:46 PM
Inactive User

Hey Elwenil, the name of that song is Long Cool Woman In A Black Dress. I usually have mine jacked up to 12 or 14, I have a Pioneer Supertuner, 4 speaker cd system in my 70 T/A Challenger. I have headers and 2 1/2 exhaust run out to the tail, not factory I know, but I like it.

Teresa
Challenger T/A
Old 01-09-2000, 11:16 PM
Inactive User

I thought that was the name of it, but for some reason to me it seemed really long, but I guess that is the way it's supposed to be. Hey, don't worry about original when it comes to tunes. I myself have a Pioneer Premier CD head unit, Pioneer equalizer with sub crossover, Rockford Fozgate amp, and an ancient MTX box with 12" subs. In my big show truck I have the same set up except with 10" JL Audio subs, and front speaker component system. Oh, and 10 is plenty for me. With this set up if I go above 14 it drains the battery and damn near puts me deaf.

------------------
~Elwenil~ ~.\|/.~
Elwenil.cjb.net
DodgeChargerSE@aol.com
72 Charger SE
Old 01-09-2000, 11:46 PM
Inactive User

Cool

The original part I was talking about is the exhaust, on the T/A's the exhaust came out in front of the back wheels. This was missing on my car when I got it 20-21 years ago. This is the only missing part and I love the way headers sound and perform anyway, so I wouldn't change it back.
Old 01-09-2000, 11:58 PM
Inactive User

Oh, duh... That's what I get for not paying attention. To be honest, I think the T/A exhaust looks kewl, but is really unpractical. Some states still don't allow side exit exhaust because of noise regulations. To me the big drawback is blowing your engine and spitting oil out the pipes right onto the tires. Not a good situation when you are going 100MPH+.

------------------
~Elwenil~ ~.\|/.~
Elwenil.cjb.net
DodgeChargerSE@aol.com
72 Charger SE
Old 01-11-2000, 05:28 AM

I'm surprised no one's mentioned the obvious Mopar Muzak, Mountain's "Mississippi Queen" and Jackyl (those guys are Mopar Guys, too).

Copperhead Road's cool, too, with the line about "Grandaddy ran the whiskey in a big block Dodge..."

Of course, I couldn't afford a decent radio or stereo system when I was younger and now that I can, I still prefer to listen to a healthy V8 opened wide. Music to my ears.
Old 01-11-2000, 06:28 AM
Inactive User

Amen! to that V8 sound. I saw Jackyl and their Mopars in a magazine awhile back ,can't remember what issue that was. Another line from the Copperhead Road song, " I still remember that rumbling sound"! Yeah!

Teresa
GOMANGO! Challenger T/A

[This message has been edited by SIXPAK340 (edited January 11, 2000).]
Old 01-11-2000, 05:10 PM
Inactive User

Hi all,

First off, short time lurker, first time poster. I used to be into country music a bit a few years back (and I do get the urge to break it out here and there), and it amazes me that on this post there are at least three people who have heard of (and evidently listen to) Steve Earl. None of my friends that listen to country music exclusively have even heard of him.

Anyway, as for music-driving relationships:

Street racing...none, too many important mechanical things to listen for.

High speed night blasts...Classical (especially Chopin), (as mentioned earlier) Ministry-Psalm 69, Suicidal Tendencies-Art of Rebellion, Pink Floyd (any will do), and Soundgarden (absolutely any).

Commuting...Red Hot Chili Peppers (any), most any music formerly known as "grunge", "big hair" 80s hard rock and heavy metal bands, classic rock, but mostly talk radio.

------------------
"...they don't make no seatbelt for the mind, so I can't buckle up for this ride."

Mr Belvedere (aka Ford Fairlane; aka Jason)

Current driver: 1966 Plymouth Belvedere II, 400BB and 727 auto

Disreputable others: 90 "7up" LX 5.0 vert; 89 Harley; 79 Ford F150 SC; 74 Plymouth 'Space' Duster; 66 Plymouth Sport Fury; 64 Ford Fairlane 500 'Sports Coupe'; 63 1/2 Ford Galaxie 500
Old 01-12-2000, 02:57 AM
Moderate anarchist

AC/DC is my favorite, but I get big dollar tickets listening to them and driving, so I don't. Believe it or nor, "Hot Rod Lincoln" is the ticket for me. Red Barchetta by Rush works and so does Heart's Barracuda.

Steve

------------------
Old 01-15-2000, 03:19 AM
Inactive User

Thumbs up

I seen JACKYL in a outdoor concert and they had a DIRECT CONNECTION tag on the front of the bass drum! The bass player,Tom was wearing a MOPAR shirt. I've been told he has a very nice CHARGER. As usual MOPAR RULES and fast,hard rock&roll fits perfect! This year I plan to fly the PENSTAR flag on my trailer at the local drag strip no matter who don't like it! MOPAR or I walk!#%*+@
Old 01-15-2000, 06:24 AM
Inactive User

Smile

I can't believe none of you guy's listed Guns n Roses Appetite For Destruction on your list. For cruising, put it in, turn it up, rip the knob off! For racing, gotta hear my big block scream though. Good topic.
Old 01-17-2000, 04:28 AM

Funny I didn't think about Gn'R, Appetite is in my Ram's CD player right now. Two other good ones are Iron Maiden's "Aces High" and Metallica "For Whom the Bell Tolls."
Old 01-17-2000, 04:38 AM

We're forgetting another Mopar reference by Jan & Dean:

But parked in a rickety old garage,
Is a brand-new, shiny red, super-stock Dodge

Old 01-17-2000, 08:47 AM
Inactive User

While, yes I do listen to classical while I drive, you won't have much luck passing me, because I push my 85 Ramcharger down the Texas back highways at 100-140 mph.
Old 01-17-2000, 07:57 PM
Inactive User

Based on my own 84 Ramchargers suspension and brakes, if you are doing anywhere near 100 MPH in a Ramcharger, I don't want to be anywhere near you. Mine scares the hell out of me at 85 MPH! I'll stick to my 72 Charger with it's updated suspension and 140 MPH top speed, it's really stable. Ramchargers are kinda heavy for high speed maneuvers in my mind. Although there was a two-tone green, lowered down 2WD Ramcharger with Texas plates where I live, that I was always curious to find out how it handled.

------------------
~Elwenil~ ~.\|/.~
Elwenil.cjb.net
DodgeChargerSE@aol.com
72 Charger SE