Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > General Chat > Rumors and Gossip, etc...

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 03-08-2000, 07:27 AM
Inactive User

Exclamation

Hi I work with two chevie guys and they bug me all the time that if mopar was so cool someone would write a song about them.Well the meatheads have got me .I don't know of any except the roadrunner beep beep song and Heart barracuda(I know its about the fish but i'm grasping here)help me ,there must be some songs out there about mopars.come on guys give the noodle a scatch
Old 03-08-2000, 08:07 AM
Inactive User

there is an old Jan and Dean song about a shiny red super stock Dodge sitting in the garage...something like that anyway...

Better yet, get some Jackyl, all those guys are Mopar nuts...
Old 03-08-2000, 05:14 PM
Inactive User

The one your thinking of is the "The Little Old Lady From Pasedena".
Old 03-09-2000, 04:45 AM

Cool

Hey Turbo -- another great Mopar song is by the Beach Boys, "Shut Down":

It happened on the strip
Where the road is wide
Two cool sharks
Sitting side by side

Yeah, my fuel injected Sting Ray
And a 413
Revving up our engines
And it sounds real mean!

Declining numbers
At an equal rate
At the count of one
We both accelerate

My Sting Ray is light
The slicks are startin' to spin
But the 413
Is really diggin' in

Super Stock Dodge
Is winding out in low
But my fuel injected Sting Ray
Is really starting to go

To get the traction
I'm ridin' the clutch
My pressure plates burnin'
Man -- my machines too much!!

He's solid Ram Induction
But it's understood
I got a fuel injected engine
Sittin' under my hood...

Ah, those were the days. The song was released in 1963 and Super Stock Dodges and Plymouths really ruled the drags back then. I left out the choruses but the end result was the Sting Ray won -- "Shut Down" the Dodge. As much as I liked the song -- never believed the ending!! <smile>

Now, if you'd like the words to "The Little Old Lady from Pasadena" -- just ask, I'll sing it for ya.

Later. . .

JC
Old 03-09-2000, 06:15 AM
Inactive User

Biggrin

I can't believe my ears.just one day after posting this I hear a B52's song(love shack)that says "I've got a chrysler thats a big as a whale"Thats good enough for me to be a mopar song.Hope to hear about some more songs.At least theres no mopars songs like Kathy Matais's 455 rocket.that says"whos broke down piece of shhhhhevie is this"
Old 03-15-2000, 05:26 AM
Inactive User

congrats to the B-52's as they have another song that mentions a chrysler
Old 04-21-2000, 11:13 AM
Inactive User

Hey jcnathan you got some of the lyrics messed up in shut down. The song does imply that the STINK ray won the race but of course in the real world that never happened. For real, Motor Trend tested a 64 FI Corvette Stink Ray (327/375), which was nearly identical to the one mentioned in the song with 15 more horespower and it turned a 14.20 @ 100mph. Two years earlier they had tested a new 62 Dart with the 413 "Ramcharger" now called Max Wedge and it turned a 13.44@109+. At any rate the song lied but it was still a cool song. But there are tohers too - What about "The Scavenger" by Dick Dale & The Del Tones. It goes like this: I got a real boss car Makes all the others look sick - Its a brand new dual quad 426, I gotta positraction rear and a four speed on the floor and if you ever choose me you'll never ask for more, cuz it';s the scavenger yeah the scavenger and I said it gooooooooeeeeeesssss.of course theres more but I ain't got all day. Here's a couple more songs: Bite Bite Barracuda by Buddy Randall & The Knickerbockers, and "426 Super Stock" and "The Wedge" both also by Dick Dale and The Del Tones.
Old 04-21-2000, 11:30 AM
Self proclaimed expert

Wayne, I can't agree with you about 455 rocket. I would love a MOPAR song that makes fun of shevies. And The line you are thinking of is. "Who's junkyard piece of SHI..velle is that?" I love that song. Nothing like GM trashing GM.

What about the song, If I had a million dollars. There's a line about "If I had a million dollars I would buy you a K car, Ya, a real fine automobile." I laughed my butt off when I heard that the first time.

Heres a good one, Copperhead Road. They sing about running moonshine in a big black Dodge.

Remind them of Hot Rod LINCOLN?? A LINCOLN and a CADDIDILAC race and top out at 110. That just shows top of the line performance there. 110 give me a break, get a real car.
Old 04-21-2000, 06:37 PM
Inactive User

Thumbs up

Hey Guam:
Back when the song came out at first I thought it said Black Dodge too ,,but a girl I knew bought the tape and the inside cover had the lyrics. I was surprised to find it said "Big Block Dodge".
I remember one segment of it in particular:
"My daddy ran whiskey in a big block Dodge...he bought it at an auction at the Mason's Lodge....Johnson county sherriff painted on the side...just shot a coat of primer then he looked inside....him and my uncle tore that engine down...I still remember that rumbling sound...the sherriff came around in the middle of the night..heard momma crying knew something wasn't right..headed down to Knoxville with the weekly load..you could smell the whiskey burning down Copperhead road ".
Anyway,,that is pretty close to the words.
The reason I remember the first line is I love big block Mopars and if you look at my profile,,you will figure out the second line.

Tommy
Old 04-21-2000, 09:54 PM
Self proclaimed expert

Red face

I never could figger out them lyrics. I always thought they said "tropicana sherrif" I knew they didn't but it always sounded like it. It sounded like big block Dodge to me but I thought it was their accent. Oh well. My dad always thought who wrote the book of love was "Who wrote the moo cow now" my mom swears it's true. He ran a lot of open headers as a kid though.
Old 04-21-2000, 10:10 PM
Inactive User

Thumbs up

Hey Guam:
That's a good story man,,,LOL!!!!
It's amazing how you hear things sometime.
I have had that happen a lot of times.
It's funny when you realize the real words and think of your memories of the past.
Take care man,,how is Guam?

Tommy
Old 04-22-2000, 10:14 AM
Inactive User

Shutdown by the Beachboys was based on a true story. Brian Wilson said that the driver of the Mopar was a friend of Dennis Wilson, and told him about the race. They wrote the song based on the story the Mopar driver told him, and he did loose to the 'Vette. I seem to remember him saying that the guy in the Dodge was having trouble with his distributor, and it was crapping out on him at high RPM's.

------------------
1970 392 Hemi Cuda