Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 05-04-2003, 02:15 PM
Inactive User

Help 340 I.d.

Hello all, this is my first post. Back in the early 80's my father and I found a 72 340 Duster for my first car. It was a basket case and a lot of time and effort yielded a nice a car. I sold that car to help pay for college but I now have the chance to buy it back fifteen years later. Unfortunately one of the two owners bubbaized this car a bit and it was a little dissapointing when I took a look, but the sentimental value is there and I plan on purchasing it. I need to take another look and be sure it still has the orignal motor. I think it is, from my first look I think the owner after me stripped the performance parts, intake,carb etc before he sold it to the man who owns it now. However I'm not 100% sure. I would apprecieate what to look for to be sure someone didn't drop in a 360. It's been a good ten years since I've been actively involved in muscle cars and need a little help to shake the cob webs loose. Thanks. Rob
Old 05-04-2003, 02:37 PM
Inactive User

well goood for you fella, buy back ,id had one 23 yrs then wish i'd never sold it . look on the dr side of the block at the casting #the last of the # will say 340 ,318, 360 take some brake clean an wash them off so you can read them ok
Old 05-04-2003, 02:47 PM
Inactive User

Thankyou, the car is overpriced and I want to be sure of the engine before I let sentiment over ride good judgement. Rob
Old 05-05-2003, 02:29 AM
Inactive User

Without getting under the car look at the front on drivers side just below the head. The engine size and build date will be stamped in the block.
Old 05-05-2003, 10:00 AM
Inactive User

Default Re: 340 I.d.

Quote:
Originally posted by Rob1
Hello all, this is my first post. Back in the early 80's my father and I found a 72 340 Duster for my first car. It was a basket case and a lot of time and effort yielded a nice a car. I sold that car to help pay for college but I now have the chance to buy it back fifteen years later. Unfortunately one of the two owners bubbaized this car a bit and it was a little dissapointing when I took a look, but the sentimental value is there and I plan on purchasing it. I need to take another look and be sure it still has the orignal motor. I think it is, from my first look I think the owner after me stripped the performance parts, intake,carb etc before he sold it to the man who owns it now. However I'm not 100% sure. I would apprecieate what to look for to be sure someone didn't drop in a 360. It's been a good ten years since I've been actively involved in muscle cars and need a little help to shake the cob webs loose. Thanks. Rob
my '72rr has a lot of sentimental value in it as well...anything done to it is done by me and dad - side by side... people tearing it apart is what i'd be worried about if i ever sold it, but thats not gonna happen any time soon!! (hope not ) being only 17, and having a 500hp beast is awesome! i love my first car, and plan on keeping it a looong time.

i'd buy it back, but thats me...

good luck!
Old 05-05-2003, 07:15 PM
Inactive User

72roadrunner

Sell your left one before you sell that car. I've regretted it for years. When I saw the car briefly my heart sank. Thankfully no cutting, but the immaculate paint was replaced by a very average paint job, the engine had been stripped of all the go fast goodies and just general neglect. This car was in a field and I drove by it for years. One day someone mowed the weeds and the 340 stripe was barley visiable. I took a closer look and the car was on blocks with the engine in the trunk and the tranny in the back seat. My dad owned a transmission shop and rebuilt the tranny and I built the engine under the close supervison of my very competent high school shop teacher. The body and paint work was done by a local man who did a very nice job. It was a blast to have that car in high school. I have the cash in hand and if it still has the 340, I'm taking it home. If it doesn't I'll negotiate the price and probably still take it home.

Thanks for all the replys. Rob
Old 05-05-2003, 10:52 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally posted by Rob1
72roadrunner

Sell your left one before you sell that car.
heh, took me a sec to relize what you were talkin about

it's amazingly sad what people do to great machines... it does sound like a good project though... re-restore your highschool car

good luck!
Old 05-05-2003, 11:01 PM
Inactive User

340 or 360 buy it back. You'll regret it later if you let it slip out of oyur hands again. Once you have it back oyu can make it into whatever oyu invisioned it before. I don't think I could sell mine, I'd hate myself for it! Obtain your dream-go for it!