Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 12-24-1999, 10:20 PM
Inactive User

UPS just dropped off a new Griffin radiator.I
tried to get it in the car with the clutched
fan, it just won't fit.I'm using all stock pulleys,I tried MP'S aluminum pulleys they just won't work.Anyway can someone suggest a
fan and would you be able to tell me how close to the radiator the fan should be.Oh do
you mount the trans cooler right in front of the radiator or as low as posible in front of the radiator.
Old 12-25-1999, 05:05 PM

i dont know what fan would work, but i know i read once that an unshrouded fan should be around 3/4" from the rad. otherwise, the fan would pull air from around the rad instead of through it. mine is set at that clearance, by luck though i put the trans cooler lower, like behind the bumper, that way it gets air flow from the fan, but it doesnt interfere with air through the grille for cooling. i guess it could mount anywhere as long as the rad and fan provided enough cooling for the motor. since they make remote kits with a small electric fan, i dont think it takes much to cool trans fluid in "normal" conditions. im going to use a trans temp gauge on this car and i do plan on moving things around to get the most cooling for everything. i love testing stuff LOL
Old 12-25-1999, 05:53 PM
Inactive User

my tranny cooler covers the whole front of the radiator on my Charger. I went super cheap and used my old A/C condenser as a tranny cooler. I'm surprised I have never seen this done before, it works terrific on my TCI 727. I was thinking it might cause the car to run hot, but it stays real cool even with a tranny cooler and a power steering cooler in front of the radiator. If anyone uses the idea of the condenser tranny cooler, flush it out and pressure test it first. I got lucky and my original worked perfect. Big cooler for cheap and there are thousands in junkyards everywhere!
~Elwenil~ ~.\|/.~
Old 12-26-1999, 08:37 AM
Inactive User

Chrysler uses a number of different fan clutches,they vary in overall length,hopefully you have a long one. I'd go down to the parts house and do some comparing.A safe distance for the fan from the radiator is 3/4" but you can be further away if you run a shroud,when running a shroud the fan blades should be 1/2 in the shroud and 1/2 out......PRO....
Old 12-26-1999, 03:06 PM
Inactive User

hey gromski, i just looked at your info about you and it says you are from plymouth ,ct.... that is funny my parents live 6 miles from you in thomaston..... i just thought that was cool....
anyways about your current problem....this is for a n A body rb car, right??? i hjad the same problem... i went with the howe radiator and a flex fan.... i now im losing some horse power to the flex fan but let me finish the story.... this is the second howe radiator in the car the first on got eaten by my hungry clutch fan, it was too close to the radiator or something to that effect, so i was very careful when i redid this set up again... at 200 a radiator i can only afford 2....lol... any ways im using a sock pulley set up and i had to go with the 1.5" adapter for the flex fan, i have a shroud and it is set like pro said .5 in , and.5 out this set up works great in my car and i live in texas where it is hot.... so it should work great where you are , the only problem is you lose a couple of horses to the flex fan.... CWBY
Old 12-26-1999, 04:56 PM
Inactive User

Well, unless you are dead set on the clutch fan, you can always get a fan spacer off a late 60's car without the clutch and cut it down to what you need. You'll have to get new bolts also, but that shouldn't be that big of a problem. You will still have to deal with the drag on the engine from the direct drive fan, but you can always use a lightweight flex fan. Other than that, and the ideas above, stick a "pusher" electric fan in front of the radiator.
~Elwenil~ ~.\|/.~