Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 05-05-2003, 05:17 PM
Inactive User

Help Need a GOOD valve job.

I had my "J" heads opened up for 2" valves and hardened inserts installed. I took the heads home after the inserts were installed before cutting the seats and did some work with the grinder, mostly arond the valve guides, plus cleaning everything up and matching to the gaskets. I found that the insert installation left a large ledge in the bowl. The inserts were about 1.65 inches in dia. outside and inside about 1.45. I opened up the bowls to remove the ledge, avoiding the actual insert.

When I went to pick up the heads with valves installed, the first thing I noticed was the valves were sunk in the head, about half the thickness. Also, the heads were milled after the valves were installed. Four of the valves had been milled as well creating thin edeges.

On two of the valves he had installed a larger insert and these looked better. He said he had to change them because I had nicked them with the grinder. I'm new at head work but am a fifty year old engineer who has tinkered with cars all my life. I don't feel as if I'm getting a fair shake here. In this bow-tie world most live in I suspect I got inserts that were never intended for my heads.

I would appreciate any comments, especially reccomendations for for a machine shop in the East Ky area.
Old 05-05-2003, 08:27 PM

The valves that have the sharp edges will probably go bad. sharp edges in the combustion chamber usually create hot spots. It sounds like you got a bad deal.
Old 05-05-2003, 10:48 PM
This account disabled due to bad email address!

Hey man.
I also live in North Eastern Ky. Just a rock through from Wv, and the Buckeye. Were ya at? I know some good Mopar friendly shops. He must have cut the heck out of them to hit a valve. I would take them back and demand some resolution. Put a long straight edge across all the valve tips above the retainers to check the stem height. That will give you a idea about how the valve is seting comared to each other. If there off more than .015 you will have a bad lifter peck in your engine. This is not good. Also I know why he put the hard seats in for the unleaded fuel, but should have only done the exhaust side. Should have only charged you 8 seats and labor. Even if you went with 2.02 intakes they were no need for seats to be installed. just some things to check.....let me know.
Old 05-05-2003, 11:11 PM
Inactive User

Smile

Thanks for the responses JV and 6 Packin. The inserts were my idea and are only on the exhaust, for the reason you said. The intakes look okay except for milling the valves. I plan to replace them to avoid detonation from hot spots. The exhausts that got sunk the most are shimmed, probably to get back the spring pressure. I definitely need to get the exhaust seats redone.

I'm in southern Floyd County. Sounds like you must be near Boyd County 6 Packin. That's not too far for me. Where do you suggest? I don't want to go back to the first shop.
Old 05-06-2003, 02:32 AM
performance engines

Default seats

one thing I don't understand about the shop you used, you had the seats installed first, right? then did your own porting/polishing?, correct? then took it back for the valve job?
I,personally, would have installed the seats then rough cut them to be close to the correct installed height, then let you do your stuff, then fine ground the seats then surfaced prior to assembly. your shop didn't do it this way? hmmm, I wouldn't take anything back to them.
Old 05-06-2003, 06:00 AM
Inactive User

That valve job most definitely does not sound right.

There is never a proper excuse for hitting valve heads during deck milling. It is likely the valve heads will fail prematurely due to differential expansion under cyclic thermal stress, and even before failure, the sharp edges on exhaust valves will make detonation more likely.

In addition to getting it redone and not using valves that have been mistakenly milled - you now need to have the deck of the cylinder head sonic checked for thickness, as the milling may be been excessive and you won't be able to hold head gaskets.

Hank
(also an engineer, born in Floyd County Ky at the very hour the record flood of January 1957 crested)
Old 05-06-2003, 09:17 AM
Banned

Grab your shit and run away from that shop as far and as fast as you can.....do not ever take anything to them again, they have butchered your heads and valves.

Try Bill Richardson at RAM Racing Engines in W. Virginia, he will fix you up.

Don
503-627-0728
Old 05-06-2003, 10:24 AM
Inactive User

Looks like SOMEONE is back in the swing of things.

Welcome back don. Hope your feeling better. No smokes, RIGHT?!

-Fox
Old 05-07-2003, 01:48 PM
Inactive User

Thanks for all the input guys. Don, I'll try to locate Ram. Can you tell me what city they are in?

Hank, hello from Floyd County.
Old 05-07-2003, 04:30 PM
Banned

Hey there goes Don...he used to smoke...