Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > General Chat > Rumors and Gossip, etc...

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 04-23-2000, 05:08 PM
Inactive User

Angry

I have seen that soo many of the kids today are modifing Honda Civics. What I wonder is what's wrong with the neon? A 4cyl neon has about 150hp and moves pretty good. Is it the lack of MP parts? or are americans turning into jap car lovers?
Old 04-24-2000, 06:24 AM
Inactive User

I went to the SEMA show in Las Vegas two years ago and was amazed by the amount of aftermarket accessories for the Honda, and Toyota. Lots of toys to make these cars go or handle. Making a Neon go fast is kind of like working on a rwd Mopar in the 70's and 80's. Not many people making good parts for you. If the demand grows the aftermarket will take notice and go fast parts will show up.
Old 04-24-2000, 09:18 AM
Addicted Moparchat Member

i just don't understand the logic in dumping thousands into a honda to make it maybe as fast as say a stock Z28. people my age complain about how that's all they can afford, that they can't afford a new Z28, mustang, or firebird (of course all the mopar muscle is "too old and ugly"). yet they spend more in mods just to make them, if they're lucky, as fast as a new f-body or pony. <sigh> 2004 is too far away... i want a charger now!!!
Old 04-24-2000, 09:42 PM
Inactive User

Would someone tell me why these kids would even bother trying to build up either one? They are both very fine economy cars, but by no means are they performance cars. I've seen people compare Civics to Mustangs. Why? For the money they spend making an econo-box go fast, they could have a nice restored Duster, Coronet, Super Bee, etc..
Give me 17 grand and I'll buy you a REAL performance car. These guys have it bad when they have to build their car "up" to 160 horse power. And they still end up with a smaller, slower car.
I don't know if any of what I just said makes sense, I'm just sick of seeing kids dump money into an econo-box than just go out and buy a fast car from the start. Apparently, we do place Chevys over one brand: Jap-crap.(Aren't they all the same?)
Old 04-24-2000, 09:59 PM
Inactive User

Yeah, for 17k, you could build a Duster with a 440 or a car like xe ryder's Scamp. the kids probably say something like "They are ugly." or "Too much work." or "I can't get girls with it" I dont care. I am a teen and I have talked to alot of people close to my age who have Dusters like me. My friends like my Duster and so do I.
Old 04-25-2000, 03:24 PM
Self proclaimed expert

You guys are full of crap. It wouldn't take anywhere near 17,000 to get a nice MOPAR that looks better and runs better than that junk.....LOL
Only serious racers are modifying Neons for the most part. The NEONs have serious potential that just hasn't been recognized yet. There are plenty of parts available for them, they are just harder to find. I personaly would like to own a NEON just to have a fun little toy.
Another point: I have seen plenty of serious muscle cars for 6 or 7,000 in nice condition. As far as the guys that think the "OLD" muscle cars don't get women, they just don't know what a good woman is. I guarantee that if a woman likes you because your Civic pulls a high 15 then she will love you when your MOPAR pulls a high 12. And I can definately say that buying a 7,000 dollar MOPAR and putting 10,000 into it is more rewarding than buying a 10,000dollar Civic and putting 7,000 into it. Plus you feel like a man in a muscle car not like a boy in a toy.

[This message has been edited by GUAM SS/T (edited April 25, 2000).]
Old 04-25-2000, 06:03 PM

hey, these guys need to increase the power to haul around the 400 lbs. of stereo equipment. besides, we need something to laugh at while waiting for the light to turn green. keep increasing the bass, boyz.
Old 04-25-2000, 09:41 PM
Inactive User

Guam, when I said 17k, I ment that is what most of these cars cost by the time the rice-boys are through with them. By the time you have bought a new Neon and dumped alot of crap into it to make it fast, it is around a 17k car. You know what I can buy with that much money? And it's been a while since I've seen a restored Muscle car for less than 12 grand.

[This message has been edited by JR (edited April 25, 2000).]
Old 04-25-2000, 10:54 PM
Moderate anarchist

have any of you gys driven a Neon? I have, my wife owns one. It rocks, especially considering it's relatively small displacement. She's handed Riced out Eclipse's thier butt with her stock 96 SOHC Neon and with me in it too. I got a coworker with a modded Civic, 98(?) or so with a header, fart tip and who knows what else in the way of mods, no challenge. It can probably whip my Diplomat, but not my turbo van. Not even close to the Cuda, but it's a toy.

So, modding the Neon isn't as big a requirement to make power as it evidently is for the rice cars. They zip pretty good stock and there are a lot of people modding them, making hot rod parts for them and dialing them in. There are hot computers, exhausts, intakes, NOS kits, TURBO kits, headers, cams, cold air kits, ignition setups, what more do you want?

Steve
Old 04-27-2000, 05:22 PM
Moparchat Barracuda Owner

I am with Thunderstruck on this one. While the Cuda was torn down while heads were being ported I had taken the 95 Neon to the track. (This car has 130,000 miles on a SOHC 2.0 with no modifications whatsoever.) I thought by the way it pulled that it would run a 16 easy. based on what my 91 Shdow 2.2 would run consistent 18.30 all day long with the 5 speed. The neon is also a 5-speed but is better geared than the one in the shadow. Anyways I told everybody I thought it would run a 16. Of course nobody believed me. Well since I had to prove it I took it out. All I did was remove the air intake from the filter air box to the throttle body. The first run it ran a 18 something I cant remember exactly but I dumped the clutch at 2000. I ran a second time and it ran a 17.80 this time i dumped the clutch at 2500. The next time up a couple of guys in Hondas a Civic and a CRX both modified with exhasut and who knows what else wanted to race. They were runnig low 17's. I told them it didnt matter to me but I didnt know what this car would do and I hadnt done any modifications to the car. Well they ran each other and I watched them both get into the water and then try to to do big burnouts. Bothe of them ran low 17's again. I ran and dumped my clutch at 3000 this time and ran a 16.96. Then I quit running I had reached my goal. The car ran a 16 now granted it is a high 16. I think if I had run another and dumped the clutch at 3500 it would come down some more. I didnt see those two guys in thier Hondas again.

This is as Chrysler put the car off the lot and has 130,000 miles on it.

Christian

------------------
68 'Cuda 383 Working on adding EFI
69 'Cuda Race Parts Car
76 Duster 273 recent transplant
95 Neon 2.0 SOHC best of 16.96
84 Dodge Ram D50 transplanting 360
Old 05-05-2000, 11:29 PM
Inactive User

Biggrin

I wanna tell my story too!

I took my '91 3.3 Dynasty with 140,000 out to a 1000ft Drag strip and was running 14.30's

I dunno what I'd get in the 1/4 but I'm satisfied with what it did.

Anyone have any guess what'd it do?

Also I beat a Ford Explorer 4X4 V8 twice and lost to a mid 80's V8 camaro by .06 sec.

Thought I had him but got me in the end.

Mopar to ya!
Old 05-06-2000, 02:10 AM
Inactive User

Exclamation

I own a '96 DOHC 5 speed neon. I don't know if you guys know but Len Ayala has a 11.7 1/4 mi. neon. It has 400 hp, turbo. It kills corvettes and cobras. Plus the ACR and R/Ts are performance cars. The ACR's come with adjustable Koni struts, and are race oriented which means it comes with no speakers, radio and things like that. With just some simple bolt on's neons can beat stock 5.0s easily.

------------------
akidd311
Old 05-06-2000, 02:13 AM
Inactive User

Just so you people know, if you go to howellautomotive.com you will see plenty of aftermarket parts for neons. Cnnpracing.com is another good source.
Old 05-06-2000, 02:52 AM
Moderator and HEMI FIEND

Do you guys know why the hotrod craze startedwith chopped model T's and all that old tin??(or at least one of the reasons)because there were alot of them and they were Cheep Junk...
History repeats itself again
nuff said on that

[This message has been edited by Maxwedge (edited May 05, 2000).]