Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 05-11-2003, 03:02 PM
Inactive User

Default Wheres third gear?

Been working out bugs here and there. Got a new one. Duster's 727 goes through first to second o.k.. Doesn't go into third. Been fooling with kickdown cable trying to get third back. Finally unhooked it completely and third came back temporarly. Drove it a little bit (5 mi.) and third left again. Had to drive back in second.
Please tell me trannys not going out. Just got rebuilt not long ago. Then it wouldn't go in first, this is differnt. I'm hoping maybe something with kickdown? It's got the spring pulling it forward toward motor and kickdown cable pulls it the other way when throttle applied.
Low on fluid? Lever out of ajustment? Silly little mistake? Anything,... just tell me I don't have to pull that tranny.

P.S. Getting really frustrated with it!
Old 05-11-2003, 04:29 PM

How does reverse work?
Reverse and high use the same front clutch so, if reverse is OK but high is flaky, the problem is probably related to the governor or the throttle pressure linkage. If reverse also has problems, the front clutch is the culprit.
Old 05-11-2003, 10:01 PM
Inactive User

Default Whats the scoop?!

PlyDus340..What kind of scoop does your can have? Im going to be getting fiberglass components from Unlimited..Unless someone knows of a better source..And am undecided on the style of scoop Ill be useing..Also has anyone used the fiberglass doors for street use and if they have is they anyway to incorporate the windows for up and down usage? They say you have to use lexon glass which is fine but I want to be able to raise and lower them.. I have read in an article about some of they early 60's cars where they used seatbelt straps to do this.. Any help would be very helpful.. Sorry to stray off the subject but I had to ask before I forgot and the picture of the scoop looked good..
Back to the trans.. My trans has no reverse and no third..a fellow from COPE Trans said a sealing ring or front clutch was probably faulty.. Now I did insert 5 discs instead of 4 but I may not have got the clearances tight enough, BUT I do remeber when I installed the valvebody accordingly to a Mopar mag article I was to block a port in the front of the case..and I was thinking maybe my particular MSvalvebody didnt need this modification..I did test servo pressure and everything seems find but am I getting the correct pressure to the front clutches..
I will say one thing from first to second the little 318 will snap a neck.. But Im fond of Big blocks some an upgrade is not far away..
Old 05-12-2003, 04:13 AM
Inactive User

Reverse works fine. Crazy thing. Drove it last night and third came back. I dunno, guess I'll talk to my tranny man today and see what he thinks. Seems like when it gets hot it doesn't want to work. I figure I need a tranny cooler, for one thing. Fluid levels fine.
Another thing, Hooked headers to exaust system saturday. Doesn't run as good. Go figure. I hope higher octane will fix that. Seems to be running fairly well. Got to get these bugs worked out.
I'm not sure where the scoop came from. It was on the car when I bought it. It's some fiberglass job. I think I've seen some like it on ebay.
Old 05-12-2003, 08:55 AM
Inactive User

Good luck with the trans. Higher octane won't help it run better with closed exhaust, sounds like with the extra back pressure it's now too rich, so jetting is the only way to get it right again.