Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 05-11-2003, 10:08 PM
islcuda

Smile 4 spd noise?

Hi all, been running around breaking in my 71 demon with 340 and ther e has been a niose like grinding, sometimes when you go from first to second and also in reverse, I haven,t really experimented a lot with 3 and 4 but the noise is quite loud like a grinding, not low pitch but medium pitch. Could it be just a simple thing like linkage adjustments, replys would be appreciated, thanks Tim
Old 05-11-2003, 10:17 PM
Inactive User

hmm....
check the fluid, the linkage adjustment.
also, did you rebuild the tranny? if not, you may have slop/wear in her.
mike
Old 05-11-2003, 10:31 PM

if the noise only occurs while you are physically moving the gear shift (shifting gears), i would guess it is either synchronizers or incorrect clutch adjustment. since you arent supposed to engage reverse while the vehicle is in motion, reverse isnt synchronized, and the grinding noise you hear while shifting into reverse could be normal, if it is brief and the car doesnt jerk or try to move when it happens. also, for similar reasons, first gear is often not synchronized (how often do you ever downshift into first?)

you can try holding the clutch down to within an inch of the floorboard (dont push it clear to the floor) and put it in reverse or first. then while still holding the clutch down, put the trans in neutral, then back into first or reverse. if it grinds again while doing this, the clutch is dragging and needs adjustment or replacing.

if it is synchronizer noise, the transmission will have to be disassembled to replace the defective parts. in this case, the noise is more of a nuisance than anything, but over a period of time, you could damage the gears, because what you are hearing is the teeth of the gears slipping past each other untill the gear speed is matched.
Old 05-12-2003, 10:18 PM
islcuda

Smile little more study

Okay guys thanks after a bit more playing, i,m finding the noise is more when I engage the clutch and rev it a little, i do not have to touch the stick at all. There is new centerfroce clutch in there and a fairly new throw out bearing. My guess is that when my old motor blew I had just installed a new throw out bearing but while the motor was away getting redone, i washed the bearing out with varsal. I am thinking now big mistake,lol. I, m gonna terar er down again and hope the heck i haven,t damaged anything. Tim
Old 05-13-2003, 01:44 AM

yep, that will do it every time
it only takes a couple of times to understand why they say that every time you remove the trans, replace the throw-out bearing. the price of a new one is cheap compared to the labor to do it later.
Old 05-13-2003, 07:53 AM
islcuda

Thumbs up

I just find it hard to beleive with only 240 miles on the new one, Tim
Old 05-13-2003, 08:24 AM
Inactive User

Creative 1 and Tim,

How do you replace a throw out bearing? I was told that mine's going.

Is this something that can be done by a novice like myself?

Thanks,

Terry
69 RR
Old 05-13-2003, 10:23 AM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally posted by ttraut@unlockit
Creative 1 and Tim,

How do you replace a throw out bearing? I was told that mine's going.

Is this something that can be done by a novice like myself?

Thanks,

Terry
69 RR
If you have the tools you can, just pull the engine or drop the tranny, remove old bearing from input shaft, replace with new bearing and reinstall engine or tranny. Now was'nt that easy LOL
Old 05-13-2003, 04:13 PM
Inactive User

So all I need it sounds like is a vise grip and some duct tape
Old 05-15-2003, 01:32 AM
islcuda

Smile

unlock it it is very easy, just put a jack under tranny and fly at er with your wrenches, and the tyranny is out no sweat. I did take mine out without a jack but it is a grunt to do it. The tranny can just slide back a bit to change bearing but I,m taking mine out to recheck all i can, Tim
Old 05-15-2003, 02:18 AM

ummm... if the clutch disc isnt new, or nearly new, you might consider replacing that while you have things open. also check the pressure plate.
Old 05-15-2003, 05:59 AM
Inactive User

Tim and Creative 1,

Thanks for the insight. Creative 1, you mentioned "check the pressure plate". What would I check for?

Thanks,

Terry
Old 05-15-2003, 11:31 AM

check for signs of overheating - blue areas, cracks, anything that looks out of the ordinary. the friction surface should be smooth and polished with no signs of "hot spots". also place the pressure plate on a workbench with the clutch side down and look carefully at the fingers. they should all be in the same plane, meaning they should all contact the release bearing at the same time. check for signs of unusual wear in the fingers too. if there is any doubt about the condition of things, replace them. if there are any cracks on the flywheel, have it machined. if you intend to reuse the clutch disc, check it for loose/collapsed springs and glazing. if the friction material has worn almost to the rivets or the grooves are almost gone, replace it. one more thing... check the pilot bearing. if there is any sign of rust around it, or the alignment tool seems to be sloppy loose in it, replace it too. i know all this sounds like it may be expensive, but honestly, if the clutch hasnt been abused, you are unlikely to have any problems. it is also good insurance that you wont have to do this again for a while, unless you just happen to enjoy removing your transmission periodicaly... lol. i am not up on parts prices for dodge clutches, but i would think that you could replace everything but the flywheel for under $100, if you are willing to use rebuilt parts. of course, if you are running a 500 hp 360, then you should consider all new stuff. but then again, if you were running a 500 hp 360, you would be using micrometers and dial indicators to measure things... lol.
Old 05-19-2003, 10:23 AM
islcuda

Gripe

Okay, got the tranny out, would not come out at first, felt a little resistance, so undid clutch and bellhousing also. Got it out and the pilot bushing is jammed on the end of the tranny. Had to get it off with a pipe wrench. The inside of the pilot hole in the crank does not look to bad, a little skaring but not bad, I,m thinking get machine shop guy down here and mic the center and then check the pinion shaft also. Then use stock bushing if possible or get machine shop to make new one. What is your opinion on this, thanks Tim
Old 05-19-2003, 10:34 AM
Inactive User

Pinion shaft. Do you mean the trans input shaft?

Yes, mic that also and go from there. The input shaft should be sanded a little to be sure it is kinda smooth and will turn in the new pilot bushing. The machinist can make a larger pilot bushing as he sees neccessary after he mics the id of the hole in the crank, and the od of the pilot portion of the input shaft.
Old 05-19-2003, 02:12 PM
islcuda

Thumbs up

Thanks auto,lol yup i meant the trans output shaft. I guess it is just a bit more money to get it right, shoulda been done when the engine was apart but I guess the engine shop forgot or something, but I certainly will have some words with him. I thought of just putting in stock bushing but i better get it right this time, thanks Tim