Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > General Chat > Rumors and Gossip, etc...

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 06-13-2000, 02:58 AM
Inactive User

Question

Doesn't look like we're going to get around to getting a 2000 300M this year. Has anyone heard what the differences will be between the 2000s and the 2001s?

thanks
Fred
Old 06-14-2000, 07:54 PM
Moderator and HEMI FIEND

I dont think they are going to do anything Major until 2003-4 when they come out with the rear drive platform
Old 06-14-2000, 09:46 PM
Inactive User

Fred, nothing solid has been posted, but I'm hearing there will be a minor tail light change, wheels will go to 17" for all, and there will be minor interior trim differences. One even less reliable source says there will be several engine performance improvements.
Old 06-15-2000, 01:28 AM
Inactive User

Rumor has it that the 2001's (and maybe even beginning 2002)will have a package similar to the 300M Special concept car, shown at SEMA. The car was slightly lowered, had performance tires, bigger brakes, unique wheels, and a tuned 3.5L. The concept car had 300-hp, we should expect something less.
Old 06-15-2000, 03:13 AM
Inactive User

Thumbs down

Who gives a rat's behind? Another overpriced leatherd-up 4 door? With a 3.5 liter. Whooooooooooppppppeeeeee! My first Mopar was a 59 Plymouth Fury which I bought in 1966 (I think). Had a bunch since then, even a K car, bought a couple in 97 and one in 98 and a Jeep in 00. Still got them all. The biggest piece of doo doo is the Sebring JXI convert. A car to make Damn-leer proud. It's falling in value as fast as a bird dropping and it's holding up that well too. Ah what to do. Been nearly a year since I bought a new car and my old pal Mopar and got nothin' anymore. Maybe I'll have to try the Ford dealer. They're still building V8s and rear wheel drive, right?
Old 06-15-2000, 05:27 AM

Ford? Do you want to buy the overused and underperforming mustang. Or are you interested in the adjustable pedals in the Tauras. The mustang engine is underpowered and not worth the money. But hey all you have to do is buy the 6 cyl. It looks just like the GT and the only difference externally is a logo to the left of the liscense plate. Ford has taken the mustang and made it just a name, praying that the name will sell units. They're other cars are not even worth the effort to test drive. Any way the 3.5L 6 cyl. is just as efficent as the underpowered 4.6L. Face it buying a ford is just like saying "I don't car bout performance, just the name and the nifty movable pedals." I used to like Ford, but the only "good" engines they produce are they're "triton" V-8s in they're trucks. And I'm not much of a truck guy. If I was looking for a good performance car, I would first look at Camaro, Firebird, 300ZX, Prelude, RX-7 and everything else. Not to get to insulting, but as long they're major V8 has almost the same as a 6 cyl. I'll stick with the 6. I don't care about cylinder numbers, just how it performs. P.S. I have several friends that drive Fords and they are pretty nice cars, but that doesn't quite match up to my standards.
Old 06-15-2000, 06:05 AM
Inactive User

Exactly! No offense to my elders, but the "needs to be a V8" argument is ridiculous! The bottom line is what counts, and with whats offered today, less cylinders do not necessarily mean lower performance. A lot of the new V6's (and even four bangers) outperform the bigger engines. We're getting more power with less gas and engine size. These V8 dreamers need to wake up before they get dusted by a nice OHC V6.
Old 06-15-2000, 04:29 PM

Thats exactly what I'm sayin' DavMan. It seems like DC is the only major US automaker producing good six cylinders. The 4.0L, the 3.5L, the 3.9L and every other new one i've seen are very nice engines. I was not impressed at Chevy's or Ford's V6s. If I were them I'd worry about all the new rice rockets comming out with V6s with over 260 horse....thats very close to some V8s and damn better than any 6 they produce.
Old 06-15-2000, 06:38 PM
Inactive User

I have two vehicles with about the same performance...a Dakota 318 and a 300M. I've never checked them at the track, but would bet it's a close race in the quarter mile. The 300M averages 22 mpg, and can get 28. The Dakota averages 18 and my top number was 21.6. The Dakota handles VERY well, and the 300M is fantastic! Which one would I rather drive when I feel like having fun?...the Dakota, without question. The main reason is I love the sound of the V8 and the wonderful seat-of-the-pants feeling of torque at low rpm's. The V6 just doesn't feel like it has any power until the tach is wrapped over the top...then it comes on almost instantly. If the M had rear wheel drive, I might feel differently, but between the two, my vote is with the Dakota.
Old 06-16-2000, 04:13 PM
Inactive User

Cool

How about a 300 with a hemi - come one guys, don't tell me you would turn one of these down !!

Its a concept car, but hey - thats where they get started right ???

------------------
"Good Luck on your project."
Mid Michigan MOPAR Enthusiasts