Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 05-17-2003, 01:06 AM
Inactive User

Help Disc Brake Spindles

I don't guess i've posted on here before so i'll introduce myself before i get started, my names jordan, nicknames coon if anybody wonders about the screenname. i'm 18 and just got me a new toy to play with so i need alittle help from ya'll. I'm currently tryin to restore a '72 Dodge Demon and i've run into the problem with the old 5x4 bolt pattern. i want to convert to disc brakes in the front and also make it the newer 5x4 1/2 bolt pattern ( i believe thats it) so i can put weld rims on it. i think a guy i know told me to get front spindles off of a b-body barracuda and they will bolt up and have the bigger bolt pattern but i'm not sure. i also heard him say that rear axles from a b-body barracuda with an 8 3/4 rearend will work to make the bigger bolt pattern, or i can have my axles drilled out for them. if any body can tell me what year and what style car i need to get these parts off of i would apreciate it. also if anybody has any of these parts and they would like to sell them let me know something. thanks, Coon
Old 05-17-2003, 02:10 AM

First correction... A Barracuda is NOT a B-body. 1969 and earlier, they were A-bodies. 1970-1974, they were E-bodies.

As you have a '72 Demon (A-body) you have the smaller Upper Control Arms, so the brakes from an E-body will not work. I'm not sure what you will need to get the brakes from.

As far as rear end dimensions go, perch-to-perch is 43.02" and backing plate-to-backing plate is 53.2". The closest rears that would fit are '73 - '76 A-body (perch-to-perch 43.02", backing plate-to-backing plate 52.625") or '62 - '63 B-body (perch-to-perch 44", backing plate-to-backing plate 53.250").

I am also moving this to Performance Chat, as I think there are more people there that can help you.
Old 05-17-2003, 11:39 AM
Inactive User

The brakes from a '73 or newer A body (Duster, Dart, Valiant, etc) will bolt on once you change the upper control arm to the later style. Just find a later model A body in the wrecking yard and take the whole front suspension as well as the master cylinder.

There is a good brake article at www.moparaction.com in the tech archives.
Old 05-17-2003, 12:54 PM
Inactive User

You've got a couple of choices on the rear.

You've got an 8 3/4 rear end now right? If you do youcan redrill the flange to the bigger pattern(drill the drum too) at a machine shop. Not the best choice.

or, get C body axles (the big cars newyorker ect) and get them shortened andresplined to fit in your diff. Then use the backing plates and drums ect from any of the newer cars. Even 11" if you want. This is the most expensive choice but arguably the best, as the integrity of the axles ect is all good, and you still have the factory dimensions on the diff.

option three is to get a b body diff complete, and put it in. If you check the thread axle dimensions(I think it's a sticky, if not it's in the technical archives) the pearch widths are close enough that the diff will fit on(I've done it, for the non believers)

This isn't a well known route, because the total width of the B diff makes tire clearance a factor, on the cars with swept wheel openings(valiants, early cudas, darts, swingers, ect) On a demon you will have no problem

last, get an 8 1/4 diff from a 73 up dart, or duster, and put it in complete. It will take most of what a street car can handle power wise. It may be a cheaper alternative until one of the better choices can be afforded.

As for which cars have the bigger pattern, virtually everything does. Only early A body's had the small one.