Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > General Chat > Rumors and Gossip, etc...

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 07-19-2000, 01:41 PM
Inactive User

CONCORD, N.C. -- Still mourning the death of his son, Kyle Petty said Tuesday he will honor him by permanently taking over Adam's race car -- a move that signifies a major restructuring at Petty Enterprises.

Kyle Petty will drive the No. 45 Sprint car the rest of this Busch Series season and then in Winston Cup next season.

Petty, 40, has been driving Adam's car on the Busch Grand National series since the 19-year-old was killed in a May crash in practice at New Hampshire International Speedway. He will remain in the No. 45 car for the rest of the year, and stay in it next year when they move the car up to Winston Cup.

"I couldn't see putting someone whose last name wasn't Petty back into the car," Petty said. "It's a healing process. Emotionally for me it's been a pretty big boost being in that car.

"We didn't change one thing on that car -- not the seats, not the steering wheel. When I sit in the car, I'm sitting in the same seat (Adam) sat in, holding the same wheel, and I feel close to him."

Petty will only drive his No. 44 Winston Cup car until September, then focus solely on the rest of the Busch season. Steve Grissom, who drives on the Craftsman Truck series for Petty Enterprises, will take over Petty's Winston Cup car starting Sept. 3 in Darlington, S.C.
Old 07-19-2000, 09:46 PM
Inactive User

I really hate that the Pettys have been through so much lately, just when it seemed that everything was coming together for them with the Dodge package. Adam seemed like such a nice young man and he and Kyle were obviously very close. I was really looking forward to watching Adam's career in Winston Cup with the new Intrepids. Having watched his Grandfather for years in the Mopars, it was going to be like old times again. But Kyle, Steve, and John will be fun to watch next year, as well as the rest of the Dodge field. I'm excited about NASCAR again; it's been a long time!
Old 07-20-2000, 03:08 PM
Inactive User

I know what you mean, I never got to see Richard race a dodge and i was born after chrysler pulled out, i have been looking foward to the day that dodge would come back and when i learned that the Petty's were going to race dodge i was really excited, finally after 20 some years the petty's and dodge hook up again, and then when it was announced that Adam was going dodge along with Casey Atwood i knew dodge had 2 great drivers to lead them into the future. i was really shaken up after adams death watching and following his career, he seemed like such a wonderfull person, in a sport were ego's and tempers override, adam seemed not to let anything go to his head, which he could have pretty easy. in a sport that is dominated by money, ego's, and tempers, Adam was a very easy going person. that just wanbted to have fun and race because that was all he knew how to do. in a interview one time adam said that everybody around were they live, farm and their sons grow up to be farmers, well he said my family don't farm, we race and that is all i know how to do. Adam is going to be missed but never forgot, on his web site there were a bunch of wonderful stories about adam and some of them were touching. its so sad when accidents happen, i just think everybody should take a minute and say a prayer for the petty's and the irwin's and the hard times that they are going threw.

Quote:
Originally posted by attsr:
I really hate that the Pettys have been through so much lately, just when it seemed that everything was coming together for them with the Dodge package. Adam seemed like such a nice young man and he and Kyle were obviously very close. I was really looking forward to watching Adam's career in Winston Cup with the new Intrepids. Having watched his Grandfather for years in the Mopars, it was going to be like old times again. But Kyle, Steve, and John will be fun to watch next year, as well as the rest of the Dodge field. I'm excited about NASCAR again; it's been a long time!