Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > General Chat > Rumors and Gossip, etc...

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 07-12-2000, 02:58 AM

All motors were built with aftermarket heads and parts available from Summit Performance.
Results are as follows:
Mopar: 437 HP@6,200RPM
Ford: 429.7HP@5,900RPM
Chevy: 426.2HP@6,500RPM
There is more info there then I could possibly type here, but it's a good article and highly recommended, Mopar rules!
Old 07-12-2000, 02:36 PM
Self proclaimed expert

Hey, Remember the Carcraft crate motor shootout 4-5 years ago. Not only did the 380hp crate 360 make the most hp and torque, it was the only one to exceed its horsepower rating. It exceeded its rating by 11hp. That is a quality product.
Old 07-13-2000, 01:31 AM
Moderate anarchist

Same specs as the recent Car Craft shootout, wonder which was a recycle? If you notice in the shoot outs the Mopars usually win, unless they lamely claim it costs too much, like Hot Rod did a few years ago. Laughably enough both the frod and chubbie smallblocks in the shoot out exceeded the budget limits, sometime they got real creative. Like the "home port job" that had pro all over it.

Steve
Old 07-13-2000, 12:50 PM

I don't think I've ever read a smallblock shoot-out that mopar didn't win. Do you remember when Hot Rod mag. did the test with the old 360/360 Commando engine? Was an actual track competition between Mopar, Ford, and chebbie. Dick Landy and son did the tuning on a duster that ran against a 70 cumsparrow and 5.0 (351) puswang. Needless to say the duster, well, dusted the comp. by a tenth or so. Hot Rod downplayed the results by saying that Dick Landy made the difference.
Old 07-13-2000, 02:34 PM
Self proclaimed expert

Cool

I was just looking at a Summit catalog. They have a really good deal on a 5.0 GT40 crate motor. You get Aluminum GT40 heads, SVO cam, and SVO valvetrain. It costs a couple of hundred more than the MOPAR 380 but it makes 35 less horsepower. ROTFLMAO! SO, you spend more money to get an aluminum headed SVO 5.0 and get beat by a MOPAR with Iron heads.
Old 07-18-2000, 09:08 AM
Inactive User

Is StrretRodder a McMullen-Argus publication? Because Popular HOT RODDING did the shoot-out last year. They all used Edlebrock Allum. heads./Summit stuff and were built at different Performance shops. I think Joe Jill built the 360 up. Of course, after the results were in the Ford and Chevy guys were pissin' an' moannin' about the "extra c.i." of the Mopar. The Ford guys said they really won cause they made the most hp per c.i." And the Chevy guy was bemoaning his decision(Arrogancce?)not to use a roller cam-blah,blah--it was pathetic! PHR then had a contest and gave that bad little Mopar to a very happy winner!

------------------

Old 07-18-2000, 04:29 PM

Yeah, Street Rodder is a McMullen/Argus magazine, it could very well be the same test that was in Popular Hot Rodding. As for the shivvy and phord guys, that's what they always do, run their mouth when they have Mopar handicapped or outlawed, then make excuses when they can't hang with the Big Dog. There will probably be another test, they'll shuffle the rules and try to work it out so Chevy can win with Ford coming in a close second, but the truth is, Mopar Rules!
Old 07-18-2000, 07:59 PM
Self proclaimed expert

Just saw another good one in a Kitcar magazine. Chevy 350 TurboRamjet or some such nonsense. Fuel injected and 350Hp So, Ford and Chevy use Aluminum heads and fuel injection and still don't make the power of the MOPAR. Atleast Ford came close with a smaller engine.
Old 07-19-2000, 03:15 AM
Inactive User

I think the best one was the 500 inch bigblock shootout. Mopar had the smallest motor and beat Chev by 3 tenths, Ford blew up second pass but was not too close the first one so it wouldn't have won anyway.
In the first crate motor shootout, on paper
the Ford should have won. But just cause you run more comp, bigger and roller cam doesn't mean you'll win.
Mopar Rules
Glen440
Old 07-19-2000, 07:09 PM
Moderator and HEMI FIEND

That would have had to been the exact same artical, because in the SRD thing they were gonna give away the motors too!!!!I will say this that ford was cool and the torque curve on the chevy was unbelievable..it was almost flat throughout the whole rpm range...I was suprised to see the 302 being used instead of the 351..Something else to note. That Motortrend test of the CObra Rvs Z06 corvett vs R/T 10 Viper...I have covered all the GM and ford boards I know of and nowhere is that magazine artical mentioned...Kinda funny..when your betting on a looser and you take your best car vs someone elses 3rd rate car(the R/T10 is behind the GTS and GTSR/ACR)..You can put your head in the sand and ignore it...But the Viper aint goin anywhere...
Old 07-20-2000, 03:34 PM
Self proclaimed expert

Anyone remember when Carcraft or one of the other Chevy biased magazines decided to show how cheap and easy you could build a 12second street car. They got an old MOPAR from a junkyard and started getting stock parts off other Junkyard MOPARs. They not only met their E.T. they came in under budget! I wonder why they didn't use a Chevy???