Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 05-19-2003, 01:28 PM
Inactive User

Default Jets and rods

I have a edelbrock 600 CFM carb and matching EB intake on my 360 and I was wondering what jets and metering rods to put in.
I opened it up and adjusted the float and checked the jets and there is no sizing on them blank. I bought a jet and metering rod and spring kit. I am looking for recommendations.

TORQUE!!!!

Thanks in advance.

Custom distributor curve
Old 05-19-2003, 01:44 PM
Inactive User

What color are your plugs. By the numbers. ie. #1 is what color. #2 is what color. ect.
Old 05-19-2003, 07:32 PM
Inactive User

If you don't have the manual for the carb, go to the Edelbrock web site and down load it. Follow the chart that shows what rods and jets to use to fix whatever problem you think it has ( too lean or too rich). It takes a lot of playing with the different set ups to get it tooned in.
Old 05-19-2003, 11:48 PM
Inactive User

All muh plugs are black with carbon deposits
number 1-8
Old 05-20-2003, 08:52 AM
Inactive User

If they are thick black put in rods that are .004 BIGGER. If they are thin black put in rods that are .002 BIGGER. Then test and check the plugs again
Old 05-20-2003, 12:03 PM
Inactive User

Will do thanx keep u informed
Old 05-21-2003, 02:15 PM
Inactive User

If it's the manual choke carb the jets are 100/95 and 70/47 rods. and electric choke is 98/95 and 73/47 rods. The numbers should be on the rods & jets but they are real small. If you don't know what you have to start with measure them or go with factory setup. Then tune using the Edelbrock charts.
Old 05-21-2003, 04:26 PM
Banned

Re: Jets and rods

Quote:
Originally posted by VetteKilla
I have a edelbrock 600 CFM carb and matching EB intake on my 360 and I was wondering what jets and metering rods to put in.
I opened it up and adjusted the float and checked the jets and there is no sizing on them blank. I bought a jet and metering rod and spring kit. I am looking for recommendations.

TORQUE!!!!

Thanks in advance.

Custom distributor curve
If its a new one the edels have a prob with cracking internally. IT may be a bad carb, so I'd tear it down and see. There are several post on this forum about this problem with the newer carbs.
Old 05-21-2003, 08:04 PM
Inactive User

Ok people lets ass-u-me that the primary jet setup is 98 and secondary ones 95 and 73/47 rods.

Please read the original post.

I have the edelbrock jet kit

Which Jet and rod combo?

Keep it simple sillY

KISS
Old 05-21-2003, 09:56 PM
Inactive User

It would help if you tell us about your 360 combo. I don't think you should be running rich if you have the stock setup. So clean or change your plugs then check your choke to make sure it working properly. Set it/ move the dial to lean so it releases quickly. It's almost summer anyway. If you have a stock/mild combo the factory combo may be ok. If you want to try alittle richer just go to the next thinner/richer set of rods on the chart for your 98 jets. Just see how the motor responds and how your plugs look after nice drive. The Edelbrock manual really helps. I printed it off the website when I tuned my Carter AFB. I doubt if you would go leaner as the electric choke EB is setup for fuel mileage already. Just follow the tuning chart for richer or leaner. They say keeping the cruise part of the rods alittle lean helps keep the plugs clean. The engine will let you know if it likes the changes or not. Go with the metering rod springs that are best suited for your idle vacuum. Too strong a spring with a large cam will cause the rods to flutter/rise at idle which dumps in excess fuel=rich/fouled plugs. I use the light 3" spring with 6" vacuum at idle(MP508 cam) If you have a mild/stock cam the 5-7" spring would be best suited. If you want to richen the secondary jets just go about the same amount of steps you went on the primary. They say keep it balanced. But do the cruise/power portion first then tune the secondary which of course would mean a jet change if you wanted to richen it up.
Old 05-22-2003, 11:29 PM
Inactive User

Now that is gonna take some readin but its a step in the right direction yyeeewllllllllll
Thanks
Old 05-23-2003, 02:13 PM
Inactive User

Carb is fine no cracks fuel still there a mint later
Old 05-31-2003, 09:28 PM
Inactive User

Sorry it took so long router was down.

I put in the # 7 combo jets and metering rods with the silver spring, everything is a ok now I also user 5/8" plugs that came recommended for my old block they were gapped at 40 there originally for a magnum 318. I'll tell u they made a differnce.

Next on the list is 12v ignition upgrade.

My truck is an 84 and still uses the ballast resistor.

I am going to cut the connector of a donor vehicle and take the electronic ignition and coil should take about an hour. I hope it works