Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Car Audio Forum

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 05-20-2003, 11:22 PM
Inactive User

Default Speaker Boxes for convertible?

OK, I don't know much about car audio, so here is my problem:
I am installing a new CD/Stereo in my 1969 Coronet Convertible and there is no good places to mount the speakers. The stereo takes four speakers and I want to use the four 6"x9" oval speakers that I already have.
Because I don't want to cut into the car, I am thinking of making two speaker boxes to sit on the rear floorboards. Each one would hold the front/rear speaker for each channel side.

Has anyone done this before and have build plans?
Any suggestions?
Old 05-21-2003, 03:12 AM

I am in the same boat with my 69 Roadrunner convertible.

I am working on a solution that I think will make this easy.

There are two ways to go about it. One is to buy some repro kick-panels and cut THOSE to mount speakers to the front, then go with some shallow fiberglass boxes (just deep enough to give the rear speakers "voice") and figure out some way to tie them to the area right under the rear seat cushion so they don't slide around.

The only problem I see for you is that the speakers in front reallt can't be 6X9...a 6 inch two way should do well there.

I'm also going with one of those miniature MP-3/AM/FM units (there are some tiny ones out there with radio and up to 128 meg of RAM) velcro mounted to the dash, and a small amp under the passenger seat.

I'll take pictures of the finished install. The idea is to be able to remove the whole system and go back to stock in under an hour, then re-install after the show. ( and drive it around with the radio blaring, of course)

The other thing you can do is just put a dummy original radio in the dash, then mount your CD head unit in the glove compartment, using the hole in the dash to mount one speaker in there. You won't have stereo, but tunes is tunes.
Old 05-21-2003, 02:26 PM
Inactive User

When I got the car it already had a non-stock radio in it, and the previous owner hacked the radio plate, but the dash was not cut behind the plastic radio plate. The AM/FM CD I got is just a cheap Pionner DEH-11, 4x40Watt Supertuner II, but it fits in the dash without cutting anything.
It came with two Pioneer 6x9" speakers all for about $120 at Wal-Mart. I already had some better quality 6x9" speakers that I could also use.

I was thinking of a speaker box that is more of a triangle shape so when I mount the two front/rear speakers in the box, one will face the back seat and the other will face forward then I can put one box on each side of the rear floorboard. I was thinking of wiring it with a connector that would handle all four speaker wires to make it easy to remove the speaker boxes.
Old 05-22-2003, 02:49 AM

That would work.

If you want to make the best use of the 6X9s, why not constuct enclosures that fit under the front buckets?

You could point one at the fron of the car and have the sound "bounce" up at you, and then do the same with the "rear"..the speakers would be positioned at the rear bottom of the seat facing the rear seat... If anything, they will act like tactile transducers and allow you to really feel the bass!

My ideal situation is to get some repro kickpanels for the front, repro rear door panels (where the armrest goes) and cut those up to mount speakers. I could then make a quick disconnect for the speakers, and it would just be a matter of changing out the panels for show. The only thing stopping me is the high cost of those rear reproduction panels. I couln't do it to NOS stuff...cutting up NOS convertible stuff should be punishable by law!
Old 05-22-2003, 11:42 PM
Inactive User

You mentioned reproduction rear pannels for the convertibles?
I din't know anyone makes those?
I don't think my seats have room under them to mount the speakers like you mentioned. I will have to check it out tomorrow.
Old 06-22-2003, 12:26 AM

Rear panels for the convertibles can be found here...they are very expensive, 500 bucks a pair.

http://www.krusinmoons.homestead.com...nproducts.html
Old 07-18-2003, 10:05 PM
Inactive User

Here's what I have done and recommend you consider.Put a pair of shallow 5'' or 6'' high quality 2 way speakers in the front kick panels. If you don't want to cut yours, get a pair from the scrapyard. For the back, get one of those pre made boxes with a pair of 8'' or 10'' woofers init. On the cord to the box, put a 4 conductor plug(lots of choice at Radio Shack). Then when you run the speaker harness to the back of the car, put a plug in the topwell, put one at the back floor pan, and put one in the trunk. It will sound great and provide the unique flexibility you need with a ragger.