Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 05-21-2003, 07:43 AM

Default Fuel Cells. Aluminum or Plastic?

I curently have only a five gallon fuel cell and I am up grading to a bigger one. I just wanted to know the ups and downs on the two.

Thanks George
Old 05-21-2003, 09:29 AM
Inactive User

Sounds like a race car. Ask what the track rules are and the sactioning body rules are. I have no idea which would be better. Altho I like the aluminum better. And more fixable/weldable if it develops a leak. Looks better too if it is visable.
Old 05-21-2003, 05:13 PM

Well Its a street/ strip car and the reason for asking is that Summit only carries the 27x17x9 fuel cell and that is too big. Jegs has a plastic one 18.5 x 18.5 x 12 which would be perfect but the shipping is almost as much as the cell. Summits shipping is cheaper than Jegs even for the Aluminum one.

I just wanted to get some opinions before ordering so thanks for the reply and keep em comming.
Old 05-21-2003, 07:05 PM
Inactive User

I went to the local race car builder and he ordered it, and put it in, 22 gal. steel. Street/autocross. Wanted to get into vintage, but can't afford to. Need to retire instead.
Old 05-21-2003, 09:53 PM
CrAzYMoPaRGuY !!

I made my own fuel cell out of aluminum. I tossed in accelration/deceleration baffles, a baffled area for the fuel sending unit, bungs for supply/return and a vent, and built in a sump. It worked really well for me because I had to have an odd shape to take advantage of the area available for more volume- it's a street car.

Might be worth thinking about?
Old 05-23-2003, 05:37 PM
Banned

Re: Fuel Cells. Aluminum or Plastic?

Quote:
Originally posted by BakedMopar
I curently have only a five gallon fuel cell and I am up grading to a bigger one. I just wanted to know the ups and downs on the two.

Thanks George
Do not use an aluminum tank. They are too easy to breach in a wreck. All real race cells are plastic or rubber self seal type in a metal steel can. If you like I have one for sale in a steel can with lines and foam filled. Also have a rear disc conversion kit for sale that's 200 cheaper than any you've seen lately in the hot rod books. Let me know if interested.
Old 05-23-2003, 05:46 PM

OKay so I was thinking about it over and over and is still leaning towards the plastic because of the size. That was what I was thinking also about the aluminum if it would handle the impact if things go wrong.(Hope they wont and hope I will never find out)

About the brakes e-mail me with some pics if you can.

Hit me up at aguiarg001@hawaii.rr.com

Thanks,
George
Old 05-23-2003, 05:51 PM
Banned

I'll have to borrow a camera first. Need to buy one. Going to start setting up web sire soon to sell parts from my new store. I'll get some pics as soon as I can. I'm trying to get a group buy up to get the price down. Look under performance talk for rear disc kit I think is how I worded it. Got a couple looking at the kit now.

Think you might want my cell? It's plastic inside a steel can with foam baffels.
Old 05-23-2003, 06:47 PM
Inactive User

A plastic cell will not stand up to any more abuse than an alum one. What do the pros run? I have both. Heck I have both in the same car...lol

The alum is nice cuz you can work on it and add things with no difficulty. I would just pick what ever one you can find to fit your dimensions. Getting one made is a good option as you could probably get more fuel in it having it custom built to fit your application like others have said.
Old 05-23-2003, 06:56 PM
Banned

The plastic and rubber self seals are the type the pro's run. I run at a Nascar track and It's in the rules. As for the plastic and the rubber self seal they will take more damage without leaking. That's why we use them by the rules. The plastics will colapse in on themselves most of the time before they burst. Even my RamCharger has a plastic one in it from the factory for this reason. I know it works 'cause 3 years ago on Dec 26 one of those little ricers locked the brakes on a rainy road and slid down the steep hill under my 4x4 while I was at a stop sign. IT crushed the tank half flat. I used compressed air to pop it back out.

The rubber ones will reseal as long as its a small puncure. And the foam used in both helps control slosh (witch effects handling) and holds the fuel in the tank if it is ripped open. If it's full it will not hold much though.

The aluminum ones will rupture on impact period. And what would you need to add to a tank. If it's got a sender, a pick up, and a vent then there is nothing to add to it.
Old 05-23-2003, 06:59 PM
Inactive User

Heck. I had to add all kinds of stuff to my fuel cells, return fittings, I also added 2 more pick ups on it. Couldnt do that with plastic as easy. As for pros I was referring to Drag racing pros. I know NASCAR has a completely different set up since wrecking is normal.
Old 05-23-2003, 07:05 PM
Banned

Most good cells have more than one return on them. Mine has two that are capped and a vent and a right rear pick up. I can add a dual pick up or duck bill pick up easily. Top unbolts and pick up comes out with it on it's tube.

I can sell you a good cell with everthing you need from my store if you like. Then you want have to do a lot of work and it will be much safer too.