Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 05-21-2003, 01:13 PM
Inactive User

Default I've got a few 340 block questions

I've got a '69 340 block that's .030 over, o-ringed and has the MP oil restriction package installed on the RH lifter bores and I was wondering if this block can be salvaged.

1) Can the MP oil restriction package be removed or machined out to bring it back to accept a hydraulic cam?

2) Is the restriction package used only with a roller cam?

3) What's the limit on an overbore on the 340's?

4) Can a regular Fel-Pro head gasket seal this thing?

TIA
Old 05-21-2003, 11:14 PM
Inactive User

1: no idea

2: again, no idea

3: .060 is as far as i'd ever go, but it'd still be a risk.

4: with the o-ringed block, hmm...i'm not sure but i'd say maybe...
Old 05-22-2003, 01:41 AM
Inactive User

phone Don at FBO

He's pretty busy these days, and doesn't cathc all the threads. He is EXTREMELY knowledgable in the area of SB machining.

Get his contact info at his site

www.4secondsflat.com

You'll get some good answers here to, but you'll be happy you called Don, if you do.
Old 05-22-2003, 08:23 AM
Inactive User

#1. You may not need to remove the aluminum tube at all. You should be able to go in with a small ball grinder head(rotary file) and cut a hole in the tube without removing the tube. All you are needing to do is to allow oil to flow through to pump up the hydraulic lifter. You will need to deburr the inside of the tube very carefully to keep cuttings out of the oil passages. Be sure to remove the freeze plug in the left side oil galley that was used to block off oil to the left side lifters.

#2. The restriction package was primarily used for roller cams. I used it on flat tappet cams as well to better control oil flow around the lifters in the bore.

#3. 4.070" bore was considered "safe" on early 340s. 4.100" was considered maximum and many blocks wouldn't go that far. If your block needs a rebore, go as little over as possible, maybe 4.075" or 4.080".

#4. Assuming the "O" rings were installed properly and in the correct location, I see no reason why you couldn't leave the "O" rings in. You might want to change to copper wire in order to be a little more mallable.
Old 05-22-2003, 12:20 PM
Inactive User

Good stuff guys! Thanks.
Old 05-22-2003, 12:32 PM
Banned

When you get tired of messing with the wire just fill the groove with JB weld and use a set of Cometics...and no I don't think the Felpro 1008 gaskets will do a good job for you.

There a 4.180 bore size and they'll probably push in short order.
Old 05-22-2003, 08:02 PM
Inactive User

Cuda, help me out. What is a Cometic head gasket? I have been so Fel Pro oriented for years I don't know anything else.

I am asking for our all iron engine, 4.025" bore, "X" block, W2 heads.
Old 05-23-2003, 12:15 AM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally posted by cuda66273
When you get tired of messing with the wire just fill the groove with JB weld and use a set of Cometics...
JB weld?? huh? i wouldn't think that JB weld could hold up to the pressures and temps of the combustion chamber...but then again, your either bein sarcastic or know sumthin i obviously don't...
Old 05-23-2003, 12:31 AM
Inactive User

You would be amazed at the stuff jb weld gets used for.

He's not kidding
Old 05-23-2003, 01:07 AM
Inactive User

Now why didn't I think of JB-Weld in the O-ring groove. I had a similar delima with a sb Ford a few years ago.

Thanks Don

Oh, I have heard that "Cometic" word before. What is it?

Billy
Old 05-23-2003, 01:19 AM

My 340 block was O-ringed from the previous owner and he had a set of regular Fel-pro gaskets on it and it sealed fine. I found out when I tore it down to do a rebuild. 7 of the wires were out but one was still in, and it still sealed fine.
Old 05-23-2003, 01:53 PM
Banned

Cuda, help me out. What is a Cometic head gasket? I have been so Fel Pro oriented for years I don't know anything else.

Cometic head gaskets are made by embossing a top and bottom layer of some hocus pocus steel alloy, coating it with some sort of Viton rubber to sandwich a layer of stainless steel of various thickness' to achieve the desired compression ratio and clearances.

Because the process is done with a lazer cutting process the bore, water and oiling holes can be easily modified on the CNC program to get an exact spec for no more expence than a stock configured gasket.

ALL NHRA Pro Stock teams and 34 of the Winston Cup teams have switched to the MLS or Multi Layer Steel gaskets.

The company originally was an exclusive Harley and import aftermarket gasket supplier until Ray Evernham got involved and they wrote the CNC programs for the R-5 engine and ventured off into the HP Automotive Market....the rest is history...they're now on a 4 acre campus running production 16/5 to keep up.

They're not cheap, figure about double what a Felpro HP set is worth and the more exotic ones can be even higher, but if you want the correct gasket that won't push or leak they're the only way to go, especially if your running 10.5:1 compression or higher.

Their main automotive products are Mopar, the catalog even lists Mopar ahead of Chevy.....can you believe that! and you don't have to explain every detail to them...they know what they're doing and do it right.

Next:
JB weld?? huh? i wouldn't think that JB weld could hold up to the pressures and temps of the combustion chamber.

Your right....we're not using it in the combustion chamber...we're using it to fill the groove for the o-ring just so we get a good flat surface for the Cometic gasket to seal against.

Next:

My 340 block was O-ringed from the previous owner and he had a set of regular Fel-pro gaskets on it and it sealed fine. I found out when I tore it down to do a rebuild. 7 of the wires were out but one was still in, and it still sealed fine

All I can say is...your lucky or you had no compression, the fiber Felpros can be more forgiving due to the softness of the material but I sure wouldn't recommend laying a piece of wire between the gasket and block to test the theroy.

Over all the Cometics are a real fine product, we sell a bunch of their stuff from carb spacers and gaskets to head gaskets..I still stock the Felpros but I'm pretty much deleteing them from my inventory.

Felpro is trying to catch up and has come out with their own MLS gasket but the continual R&D and instant response time of Cometic is leaving them in the dust.

NOTE: The recommended finish on the heads and block is RMS-36 and if the finish is rougher you need to apply up to 3 coats of Copper seal to the rough surface side of the gasket...I always recommend using at minimum 1 good coat of copper seal anyhow.

Quote:
From jason@cometic.com

1-440-354-0777

If there's any special project that your working on that Don can't help you with please feel free to contact me personally for technical assistance.

Due to the number of calls we rely on knowledgable distributors like FBO to handle the every day requests but we're here if you need us.

Thanks for your interest in Cometic and your support of our product.

Jason
Technical Department

So there ya go.....
Old 05-23-2003, 04:45 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
Your right....we're not using it in the combustion chamber...we're using it to fill the groove for the o-ring just so we get a good flat surface for the Cometic gasket to seal against.
oh, i guess i don't totally understand where the o-ring is. thanx for clearin that up.