Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 05-23-2003, 09:44 PM
Inactive User

Default Tunning help

ok, i am getting ready to take my car to the track for the first time ever, its a 72 duster 440, the engine specs are in my signature, its nothing special, i never have tunned a carb before, then i was reading that great tech article about tunning an edelbrock, i have a holley, so i dont know how much of that information applies to my carb. any information would be great,
thanks, joe
Old 05-23-2003, 10:37 PM
This account disabled due to bad email address!

I have a a car somthing like that. Good combo hu? I like those shumacher headers, worth every cent. I would start with the timing and the jet sizes. Is it a double pump or vacum second carb? I am running a 800 dp Holley with 78 jets in the front and 81 in the back. Try setting the timing to 34-36 deg total. You may find your self disconnecting the vacum advance do to the factory mechanical advanc e being so much. idealy you want around 14-16 deg intial for crisp throttle response, along with 34-36 total. You may need to play with the jets to get it right. You need to do this at the track for the easy of tuning, hard to tell on the street. Also if its a vacum second carb the springs may need to be swapped to get rid of any bogs froma stop. The they say keep going to a heavier spring untill the first one that it doesnt bog at. Remeber winging the engine in park will not open the secondaries. To see the rate of opening distance use a paper clip or hair pin pushed under and against the bottom of the vacum pod. you will see how much it opens. Get the timing right first the tune the carb. If the timing isnt right you will be just wasting time tring to tune the carb.

Let us know whats going on, theres allot of smart people on here.
Old 05-24-2003, 07:50 PM
Inactive User

good reply thanks, i will be doing the tunning on monday, any more sugestions.
thanks, joe