Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 05-27-2003, 01:22 PM
Inactive User

Default How are the Mopar Performance Torque Converters?

Do any of you use MP Torque Converters, and are you happy with them? Are they as good as B&M or TCI? There is a big difference in price, I was just wondering. Thanks.
Old 05-27-2003, 01:38 PM
Inactive User

at the risk of getting scolded, I used one on my most recent buildup...the 2500 stall converter. so far, it seems great, but everything isn't totally broken in so i can' fully recommend it yet.

I will let you know in a few weeks after i take it to the track.
Old 05-27-2003, 08:34 PM
Inactive User

Thanks fastdartchester! I will be waiting for the verdict. Here is my email tjatczak@yahoo.com.
Old 05-27-2003, 09:20 PM
Inactive User

TCI is one of the vendors for Mopar and the convertors are on back order. With all of the mergers and off shore contracts who knows what we are getting through mail order, Mopar oil pans made in China, bearings made in Poland, seals made in Malaysia, other bearings made in Canada or Mexico and all sold as Timkens. The only advice currently correct is buyer informed and beware of stories about past performance on certian parts.
Old 05-27-2003, 10:52 PM

Do it right and put your money with Frank Lupo at Dynamic Converters. All of his designs have been dyno and track tested. He makes the best of the best.
Old 05-27-2003, 11:58 PM
Inactive User

Whats wrong with parts from Canada?
Old 05-28-2003, 12:02 AM
Inactive User

Nothing against Dynamic but no matter what application you have they will try and talk you into a 9-1/2" convertor for like 600 bucks. Chances are that if you are looking at MP convertors your application is a mild one and money is a concern. There are alot of good convertors builders out there that can sent you up with a solid performing convertor for around 300 bucks. I went with Coan. They were extremely helpful and have an excellent reputation. If you use the MP converter call Mancini. When I was looking for converters they were helpful as well. They said that the warrenty/return rate on the MP converter wasnt very high at the time. That has to say something. Maybe mopar finally found a good vendor!
Old 05-28-2003, 12:34 AM

Most people only return a converter, if it fails. Most people don't take into account converter efficiency. I will stand behind the recomendation of a converter from Dynamic Converters.
Old 05-28-2003, 08:47 AM
Inactive User

yep,

I bought my MP converter from Monicatti and talked to several of the guys there, asking them lotsa questions. The feedback they did get was positive (from customers). That kinda swayed my decision to do it on the cheap. I don't have a $20 K racecar so exotic parts aren't for the pickins...I just try to do the best research up front and use that to my benefit...so far it has been working!

Just like everything else, buying parts is a compromise.
Old 05-28-2003, 09:34 AM
Inactive User

I use a MP converter in my race car as recomended in Mopars performance books. Out here in the mountains of Montana good iformation is hard to come by. This converter has been in my car behind a 440 and it has been very good so far. I use a trans brake and launch at 4600 rpm on the chip. It flashes to 5k and so far... five seasons, its been all I could ask for. But... I am building a new package so will I get a new one? Not sure yet. It was made by Turbo Action so you can bet I will be talking with them. Dynamic converters are used by some of friends and they seem to be working for them too.
Old 05-28-2003, 09:00 PM
Inactive User

I put a MP converter in a 440 Cuda street car I did for a guy a year ago and it has performed fine. I think a lot has to do with your application. If you are building a fun street ride the MP converter is fine. If it's full race look into the high dollar units. Beware of all the bench racers if you are building a street car. You don't need the high dollar parts to have fun.

Two years ago I did a 440 R/R that was to be used on the street. The owner was convinced by one of his racer buddies he needed a 3000 stall Coan converter. It was nothing but problems. He drove around at 2500 rpms with the converter building heat and over heating the trans. We took it out and swaped a 2000 TCI for half the cost and the car was tons of fun.

Be honest with yourself as to the use the car is intended and put together a combination that will work together.....ie, compression, intake, carb, cam, converter, gear. If you use the bigger is better attitude on any one or more items , you more than likely be disapointed
Old 05-28-2003, 11:11 PM

I must agree with that. Sometimes we only think about all out Performance, instead of the actual application of the car. A Dynamic Converter is a tad bit over board for a daily street machine. If you plan on it being a weekend warrior at the track as well as a daily driver, I would seriously consider the Dynamic. All out strip, then the Dynamic is the only way to go.