Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 05-28-2003, 10:35 PM
Inactive User

Default Transmission Mount Blues

Doing a test drive today I felt a nice little shudder that I didn't care for... so while I was underneath the car yanking those Godawful loud Flowmasters, I started poking around.... should the transmission mount have any play at all? It seemed to be movable by hand... not a lot, but I would have thought it should buttoned down pretty tight? The rubber looked brand spanking new, too. ???

Also, the pinion on my 8 3/4 seems to have a bit of slop in it. Is that normal or should it be rock solid?

The transmission may have to come out anyway thanks to its other multitude of problems... what a freaking money pit LOL

Any advice or things to look at closer is appreciated
Old 05-29-2003, 02:13 AM

well... there should be some movement in the trans mount... after all, it is rubber... but i dont think you should be able to move it by hand . even new rubber mounts have been known to fail. i would replace the mount if there is any doubt, and i would suggest urethane... it is stronger, more durable, and should outlast the car.

and you damn well better have some slop in the pinion shaft, or the diff will weld itself solid... lol. i know youre gonna ask "how MUCH slop should it have?"... i cant answer that definitively. maybe like 5*? it is going to be whatever the backlash is plus whatever the distance change from the contact point of the ringear to the yoke, along the centerline of the pinion shaft. now if you are lost, picture a clock... the end of the minute hand moves farther than the end of the hour hand, even though they travel the same 360*. what you are looking at is the difference in length of the 2 hands... get it?
Old 05-29-2003, 09:12 AM
Inactive User

Thumbs up

Thanks for the advice

Rotationally, I expect some slop in the pinion, too... but should it be able to move up and down as well? It's just enough to notice and I'm sittin' here thinking it shouldn't do that at all?

Or am I just paranoid? If you had seen all the other things that were done wrong on this car, you'd know why I'm getting that way
Old 05-29-2003, 09:48 AM
Banned

It should not have any up and down play to it. I just ring my front pinion out of my car too. Almost have it apart and ready to rebuild. Tranny mount should not move either. That shudder you feel is most likely the pinion bearing going and letting the drive shaft move while at speed.
Old 05-29-2003, 09:48 AM
Inactive User

What case do you have? I bet you crush sleeve has collapsed a little more and has taken some preload off the pinion bearings. I believe the only third member that doesn't have this problem, (shimmed sleeve not crush) is the "742" housing. I use this case for my drag gears.

drag-n
Old 05-29-2003, 06:44 PM
Inactive User

Well crap. Mine is the 742, but the gears counted out to 4.30, so you can bet your boots the prior owner put them in or had someone just as sloppy as him do it.

I've been looking to replace it with a 3.55 or 3.23 SG, but everyone who wanted to trade had a 489 case... maybe I better just buy a gear set and have it rebuilt... right after my tree full of money starts blooming LOL