Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 05-29-2003, 02:01 AM
Inactive User

Question Repair damaged park pawl in a BB727

I believe that I need to replace or repair the park pawl, park sprag, or whatever the correct term is, in my BB727 trans. Ever since I got this trans as a rebuildable core 4 yrs ago, it has been EXTREMELY hard to pull out of "Park" when parked on an incline, even a very slight one. In fact, I've never actually forced it hard enough to come out of park, because I felt that something would break if I did. In the past, I've never used a parking brake to hold the car first, but now I always have to set the brake, then shut it off and leave it in "Neutral" just to avoid putting it into park.
Not the best thing to do, I know, but I'm ready to fix this problem the right way.
Heres more background: This problem was present when my trans was first built and used for a year, then was still present after a more race type rebuild(including the replacement of a cracked tailshaft housing) that I've been using for almost 3 yrs.
When parked on level surface, it moves out of park like normal.(w/o the park brake on)
When parked on an incline with a wheel chock holding the car instead of the trans, it moves out of park normally.(w/o the park brake on)
The shifter and shift cable are properly installed and adjusted.
The trans works perfectly other than this problem.
The trans is from 1974.
Now, how hard is it to get to the pawl? What needs to come out, the tailshaft, the valve body, or the whole thing? What damage should I look for on the part?
Does anyone feel these are symptoms of a different problem, or am I on the right track? If this repair is way too complicated I can take it to a shop, but if you guys can walk me through it, I'll give it a shot.
Thanks for any and all replies.
Old 05-29-2003, 02:34 AM

i cant say there is nothing wrong, but the correct way to park a car is to stop it, set the parking brake, then put it in park. i have seen vehickes that had to be jacked up to get them out of park, cause the pawl was jammed by the weight of the vehicle. i know that some transmissions are pickier about this than others... mine doesnt care where it is parked, it will come out of park.

having not as yet dismembered a 727 (they are all very much the same... BB, SB, short or long) i dunno all the intricasies of them, but the park pawl is usually simply a pin that a spring pushes into a blind hole in a rotating part. hence the 'clicking' noise you hear if you try to put it in park while the vehicle is moving. when the weight of the vehicle wedges that pin against the bore it slides in, it can be difficult to disengage. maybe someone slammed it into park while the vehicle was moving and deformed that pin. that could aggravate the problem, but it usually results in shearing the pin, resulting in no park, but the tranny otherwise operating normally. hopefully, if you do dismantle the tranny to chase this problem, you will be able to fix it with a file or some emery cloth, to polish a rough spot or 2. just make sure that you get ALL the grit and/or filings out, as even fibres from cloths or paper towels can render the valve body useless.
Old 05-29-2003, 06:57 PM

I posted this info in another forum but will repeat it for those here.
It's possible that the 727 park rod that extends from the valve body into the tailhousing was replaced with one from a 904. Doing so will cause the symptoms described. In the pic below the difference in the two rods is evident, the lower rod is correct for the 727.