Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 05-29-2003, 07:19 PM
Inactive User

Help Help on setting up a 6 pack

I have just installed a 6 pack, can anyone direct me to a site that will show vacuum routing & how to set the linkage up to be manual instead of vacuum?
Thanks in advance, Jim
Old 05-29-2003, 08:49 PM

Jim, there's alot of people here with the answers for the setup of your six pack but the last part about setting up the outboards so they are manual is concerning. The vaccum on the outboards is there for a reason and even if you change the linkage to make them manually open up, you definantly wont be happy. The reason is that unlike the center carb with an accelerator pump, the outboards dont have this. The center carb is manual and when you open it quickly, there is an accelerator pump which gives it a pump shot of gas so it just doesnt gulp air and bog. Since the outboards dont have this feature, If you manually jam them open and they dont get a pump shot of gas (which they cant), all they will do is massivly gulp air and you will not be happy with the results. The only way I know of to sucessfully change the outboards for a full manual setup is to either send out the carbs to 6 packs to go and for 7-800 bucks they will modify them so they work manually (with a pump shot) and also set up a progressive linkage that is adjustable so they are triggered when the center opens up to a certin degree. They recommend a starting point of 40 degrees and tune from there. The other way is to find a super rare set of the 2300 series outboards that are manual. Again, these are very, very, VERY rare and costly.
I hope i'm explaining this in understanding terms and if anyone else can add to this to make it easier please do. All I can say is I highly DO NOT recommend changing the outboards to a mechanical linkage without getting the proper pump shot of gas.
If you PROPERLY setup the 6 pack as it sits now with the vaccum outboards, I guarantee you will be happy.........Dave
Old 05-29-2003, 09:24 PM
Inactive User

Thanks Dave. Can you direct me to someplace whith photos foe vacuum routing?
Jim
Old 05-29-2003, 10:14 PM
Inactive User

Agree, stay away from the idea of opening the outboards with mechanical linkage.

As for routing of the vacuum lines, the port just in front of the vacuum canisters on the outboard carbs is for the vacuum signal from the center carb. The top port that comes out of the fuel block on the center carb should go to the vacuum advance on the distributor. The port that is just under this one but on the center carb body should go to the vacuum ports (yes, you will need a "T" connector) on the outboard carbs. The port on the base of the center carb should go to the small vacuum pot for the center carb throttle linkage. I think I covered them all.