Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Diesel & Turbo Diesel Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 05-30-2003, 08:39 PM
Banned

Question diesel mpg "hurt"......computer "flashed"?

fuel mileage is down by about 3 or so mpg? I have heard that on a 98.5 and up that if the 'puter is "flashed"? ....that this does something to the pump timing that affects the mpg...... ? I REALLY should have seen a fuel mileage INCREASE - since I changed the tires on this dually to highway type tires.

Any thoughts?
Old 06-01-2003, 12:44 AM
Inactive User

Computer reflash has been creating alot of stir on this subject for a long time.Its a deal where it does do this(cause fuel milage losses)and can not be removed once installed.Its done for emissions and not for milage,so if its not done to your truck do not allow them to do it.Now I am not sure how big you went in tire size but if it was a large change it will definately hurt your milage some as it will throw off your speedometer/computer.Remember the speedometer and overhead computer are set up for what came on your truck stock,so if you do not allow for the oversize you numbers will be off........BRM
Old 06-01-2003, 12:52 AM
Banned

I should have been a tad clearer.......the tire height was not changed - I just went to more of a highway tread tire.

On the fuel mileage topic - what is a good number for a 24v 4wd vehicle in your eyes? How about then a 12v 2wd?