Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > General Chat > Rumors and Gossip, etc...

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 08-28-2000, 05:22 PM

Thumbs up

I've had this idea for sometime, but reading the vette post below really made me think. How hard would it be for Mopar Performance or someone else to make swap mounts for dropping factory crate Mopar engines into Chevys, Fords and others. I consider Chevrolets kind of like Willys and Austins, good looking, but extremely deficient in the power and reliability areas. One of my favorite memories is of a friend's 57 Chevy sedan with a 440 out of a New Yorker in it. He blew up several mouse motors, then got frustrated and put the 440 in. Instant 12's! He had some prep in it, but you can see where I am going with this. Imagine Hemi powered Camaros, nice reliable Corvettes with Magnum 360's, Mustangs with Hemi power! And an easy way to convert that poor old raped vintage Mopar that has a Bowtie stuck where one doesn't belong. I think this is a good idea,I bet Mopar Performance could sell tons of them! I even know where a ragged Corvette is that could use a 440 transfusion, what do you all think? Heaven knows we owe the clone rodders one anyway.
Old 08-28-2000, 11:03 PM
Inactive User

great idea Stoga,i think there is some money to be made here.
Old 08-29-2000, 04:03 PM
Inactive User

I like your idea, Stoga. We are planning on buying a kit '55 Thunderbird from Regal and putting in a Mopar small block and TorqueFlite. I have no idea what mounts to use, and I'd like to have the attach points in place before taking delivery of the car. They come set up for late model Ford engines, but if there were Mopar to Ford mounts available, I could use the standard configuration.
Old 09-11-2000, 07:51 AM
Inactive User

A BowTie friend is completing a 440 swap into a 85 Firebird right now. He fabricated his own mounts and modified the stock tranny mounts for the 727. Just needs exuast and drive shaft to finnish. He'll probably have it running in a week or so. I sold him the 440/727 and tried to get him to put it in a Mopar but those darn F-bodies are just so plentiful and cheap--and it's what he's use to working on. Well, it's progress anyway. When I first met him he didn't even know what a Hemi was. Poor kid was raised on a diet of pure chebbie--eyuck!

------------------

Old 09-12-2000, 03:34 PM
Inactive User

Biggrin

I've always been a bit of a purest, you know, a chevy in a chevy, a ford in a ford, a mopar in a mopar. But it would be fun to hit the shows and cruise-ins and see mopar power plants in all the streetrods and hotrods.
Kind of sounds like a weird dream, but I think I like it!
Old 09-23-2000, 07:25 AM
Inactive User

Cool

I guess this means that you guys would get a kick out of the car I am about to finish in a matter of days.Try this on for size:
1966 Chevy Nova with a 722 Horsepower (Dyno Proven)W-8 Mopar! I have been building this car for about 7 months and my ultimate goal is to enter the car in various "Super Chevy" races in California and Arizona. We are shooting for somewhere in the very low 9's on a 10.5" Slick. I have already been approached by Hot Rod, Car Craft and Super Chevy who all want to do a full piece on this beautiful "Chevy". HA! These idiots don't even know that it is not chevy powered!! Mopar or no Car! I still have my 10 second,1970 440 Cuda in the garage,but I just had to do something to piss off those Chebby folks!
Old 09-24-2000, 04:12 AM

Thumbs up

5150 and Montrose, all I can say is a big thumbs up for both of you! Dang, I am almost tempted to find a distressed bowtie to swap some Pentastar Power into myself! After all, finding a Chevy with a blown engine just has to be extremely easy.
Old 09-26-2000, 10:57 AM
Inactive User

Well, 5150's the Man. All's I did was give my buddy a push in the right direction. BTW, my friend always has nick names for his cars--he's calling this one the "Fire-par"! He thought that sounded better than Mo-bird!

------------------

Old 10-07-2000, 10:53 PM
Inactive User

Thumbs up

Hey guys! Quick update on my W-8 Powered Nova. We rented a track in Southern California this week and the first pass off the trailer was a 10.04 @ 134mph. It was a pretty fun ride. Our day was cut short because we were asked to leave the track as the car went 9.97 @ 137mph on the second pass.(The car only has an 8 point Roll Bar)
The best part was when the track officials teched the car and did'nt even notice that it was a Chrysler motor! ESTUPIDO! I will keep you posted as we continue to "Get the bugs out". MOPAR-YES! CHEVY-HA!
Old 10-08-2000, 08:10 AM
Inactive User

Sweet! That is haulin' a$$!! Hope you got some of your rent $ back when they kicked you out! My friends Fire-Par is on the road now, BTW. It's just a street ride but it really draws some attention--440 looks awesome sittin' in that GM F-body. Because the motor sits so high and the M-1 single plane he had to cut a hole in the hood and put on a cowl induction! Keep us posted 5150--too cool!!

------------------

Old 10-08-2000, 07:53 PM
Inactive User

good going 5150, just try to stop yourself from putting on anything with a pentastar symbol and see how long it takes for someone to actually realize what the motor is
Old 10-22-2000, 07:33 AM
Inactive User

Cool

Hey Guys! Another quick update on The W-8 Nova. We made a bit of a mistake in adjusting the four-link on our first pass and still ran 9.88 at 131mph. This thing spun all the way through 1st gear and I didn't even use the trans brake. After reviewing the video,the car looked like a damn sprint car! Anyway, as I was adjusting the four link, I noticed that one of my Coil Over Springs was bent and that ended our day. I found out through the grapevine that some people are starting to talk about, "That Mopar Guy that all of a sudden has a fast Chevy". I hope that you guys will understand when I don't share which track that we have been testing at. I really want to get this thing flying and then set the racing community in So. Cal on it's ear. P.S. We will be testing again on 10-24-00. I will keep you posted. Thanks for the kind words, It means alot to us.

[This message has been edited by Wop5150 (edited October 22, 2000).]
Old 11-24-2000, 10:01 AM
Inactive User

For those of you not familiar with what "5150" means, its a California code that mandates authorized officers to take a mentally disturbed individual into custody for treatment. In short "5150" means a crazy fellow.

And Wop5150, you are a crazy hero. I don't think I would have the courage to own and drive a chevie with a Mopar heart. Its not the Mopar that bothers me, its the chevie part.

If you need a nickname for it, how about painting the car green and naming it "Frankenstein"?

Anyways, haven't heard from you, hows the car running.
Old 11-25-2000, 06:38 AM
Inactive User

Biggrin

Hi Guys! It is true, 5150 is a term for a mental case. The part that you didn't get is the "WOP". Let's just say that I am proud to be a Crazy Italian. As far as the Nova is concerned, I have been too busy with my business to take it back out to test. We are shooting for the first week in December. Hope all of you had a great Turkey Day! I will check back and let you know how we do...