Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > General Chat > Rumors and Gossip, etc...

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 12-13-2000, 06:10 PM
Inactive User

Thumbs down

Seems its happening all over the auto industry.

I now live in Haslett (just moved from Okemos) - which is just outside of East Lansing, which obviously is just outside of Lansing.

RE Olds came here many years ago and Lansing became THE place where GM produced Oldsmobiles.

Yesterday, they said the model lines would finish out there production years and Oldsmobile would be terminated.

Not just the few cars that were built in Lansing, but the entire line - seems that GM said they were just not profitable enough to keep.

Going the same way Plymouth did.

I know this is MOPARCHAT, but thought this was at least newsworthy.

While I'll have to agree they are not pumping out vehicles as cool as some of the Plymouths were . . . my wifes old Muscle car is an Olds - and that thing will still fly and turn heads.

Here is her 1971 Olds Cutlass "SX" convertible - one of only 347 made that year with these options. I think I just heard the value go up . . .

455 with a posi and true RAM Air - this car eats everything - Mustangs, Camaros, Tires . . .

Back to my point . . . who's next ? Will Mercury be killed off ?

Will certain slow selling lines of Dodge / Chrysler be axed and never return to the sales floor ?

What do you think ?

------------------
"Good Luck on your project."

Mid Michigan MOPAR Enthusiasts http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Boulevard/4889/
Old 12-14-2000, 04:48 AM
Inactive User

It's globalization that is killing off these fine nameplates.Nothing wrong with that Olds!!To me,although I'm biased towards MoPar,I like all cars,I'm an enthusiast,and it is sad to see another fine marquis' go away.GM should be ashamed of themselves.I would have killed off Saturn instead.
Old 12-14-2000, 04:09 PM
Inactive User

Thumbs down

Even though I prefer Mopars (four of my six cars are Mopars), I hate to see Oldsmobile dropped. Haven't cared much for the Old's produced in the past 30 years, but I have to admit I liked the old 442's from the 1960's.
Seems to me that GM could have had some fun with the Oldsmobile name. I feel pretty much the same way about the Plymouth name.
I'm afraid we'll probably see Mercury dropped too. Mercury (again in the last 30 years) turned out some real crap in my opinion but it didn't have to be that way. I remember some pretty good looking and fast Mercury Comet Cyclones from the mid-sixties. And the Mercs from the 40's and the 50's were cool rides!
Nothing wrong with the name, just the idiots in charge.