Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 06-01-2003, 01:14 PM
Inactive User

Default Throw-out Bearings

my four speed started leaking a little, then more , now alot. so i'm gonna yank it and reseal it with a new gasket set. since out i will replace throw-out bearing, the question is which one?right now there's a TRW replacement part throw-out bearing in that works fine, and has taken abuse. i see Hays bearings for about 20 bucks and Centerforce bearings for 40 bucks, any reccomendations?? i'm not a fan of Hays products, but would like to hear what worked for other people. thank you.
Old 06-01-2003, 01:42 PM
Inactive User

Dont know what kind of pp plate you are using or what type of use you subject the drive train to but, now is not the time to skimp on a cheap parts.
I would replace the clutch, pp, pilot bushing and throw-out bearing while I had it down.
Old 06-01-2003, 09:21 PM
Inactive User

I have run a Hays for three years and had no problems. How much technoligy be in a t/o bearing to make the Centerforce worth twice the price? As far a replacing everything while the trans is out, I would think twice about that one. That amounts to a bunch of money to fix something that ain't broke and I don't see removing and replacing a four speed as that big of a project. I'm not sure what kind of car your talking about and the use it gets, but I assume we are talking about an occasional driver. It's not like these cars that are driven 20 or 30000 miles a year. These clutch parts should last a long while with their limited use.
Old 06-01-2003, 09:33 PM
Banned

My 4x4 has one from Advance auto parts in it and has lasted now for 10 years and has had nothing but the crap drove out of it. I use it to tow my race cars with all the time. No need for a high dollar part here unless it's a race piece that requires something that's not stock.
Old 06-02-2003, 07:23 AM
Inactive User

The mopar parts throw out bearing for the fine spline trans is the best I have ever seen and used.

2405077: throwout bearing assy 10-1/2" clutch [excellent part!!!!] $77.10 list price

You get what you pay for. I have had the same t out bearing behind 2 engines now and over 30,000 miles!!!! The other bearings are no match
Old 06-02-2003, 04:56 PM
Inactive User

my car is 73 cuda 340 4 spd, w/23 spline tranny. i have a perfectly good centerforce dual friction setup that definitely does not need to be changed. but, if there was any question about it i would do that as well. i was thinking of also calling brewer's performance, those 4 speed guys and see what they had to say as well. thanks y'all!!
Old 06-02-2003, 08:44 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally posted by moparmotorman
my car is 73 cuda 340 4 spd, w/23 spline tranny. i have a perfectly good centerforce dual friction setup that definitely does not need to be changed. but, if there was any question about it i would do that as well. i was thinking of also calling brewer's performance, those 4 speed guys and see what they had to say as well. thanks y'all!!
Do/ replace what ever gives you peace of mind. I'am just too old to bench press a 4 speed tranny because I cut corners. My wife is not as helpful as Big Ed's LOL.

By the way did you replace the T/O bearing when you put in the centerforce pair?
Old 06-03-2003, 03:36 AM

i would ALWAYS replace the throw-out bearing, and the pilot bearing too, if i was replacing the clutch. just peace of mind... but i would sure hate to have to pull the transmission a month later cause i tried to el cheapo things.

no friggin way i would pay $77, though... not if there is something just as good for less. until i got this pickup, i never had an automatic trans. been driving for 40 years, and have never fried a clutch or throwout bearing. the key to making them last, cheap ones or expensive ones is to keep your foot off that pedal. IT IS NOT A FOOT REST!. get the vehicle moving, then take your left foot and put it on the floor. (or you can add it to your right foot if that helps your cause). the only time the throw out bearing is doing anything is when you actually have your foot on the pedal. other than that, it is just extra weight. resting your foot on the clutch keeps that bearing pressed against the pressure plate, and if the engine is running 4000 rpm, so is that bearing. it aint made for that. just like brakes, if you abuse the clutch, you will be left in a lurch.
Old 06-03-2003, 07:12 AM
Inactive User

Mopar T out bearing 77.10 list price about 57.00 your cost, there is an old saying you get what you pay for.....

The mopar t out bearing uses a modern technology style bearing unlike any I have seen or used in the last 30 yrs. I have used then all, hayes etc and none have held up like this one. I have had to change t out bearings because I bought the ones in the hayes box and they wore out prematurely. I have owned more than one manual trans car....

If the one I am using now has lasted behind 2 engines and over 30 thousand miles of hard driving, there has to be something better about this one than all of the others. I guess bench pressing 4 speeds is more fun than beating up new corvettes.
Old 06-03-2003, 08:04 PM
Inactive User

Default ?

I used to use Bogus-Warner Power Brute T/O brgs. I don't know if you can still get 'em.
If you still can't decide, look at 'em out of the box. Try spinning them, you'll be able to feel the difference in many of them.
I also agree with 'Creative', but would also add: make sure the clutch is adjusted correctly, and make sure the clutch linkage is not bent, breaking, or worn-out. Watch the linkage while an assistant works the pedal. Look for things bending, or moving out of alignment.
Old 06-04-2003, 03:59 AM
Inactive User

the centerforce set-up has been in there for years, not alot of miles just time. it works great. when i installed it, the throw-out bearing available to me from the store where purchased was the Hays throw-out bearing. it worked fine for a while, but after some dragstrip use, it started getting noisey. a friend at tranny shop told me to change it. i went to local parts store a bought TRW replacement part , its lasted longer than the Hays one so far and is still in good shape. when i did clutch i installed new Z-bar bushings and lubed it up nice. i also had a new Z-bar bracket welded onto the framerail, cause the original one was all worn out[elongated]. when i recently installed TTIs i removed and relubed Z-bar again. it feels real smooth.
Old 06-04-2003, 04:03 AM
Inactive User

1 more thing , i installed new ball studs for the linkage on both sides as well. i should treat myself as good as i treat this car!!
Old 06-19-2010, 03:31 PM
Inactive User

Default 70 Cuda 340 4 speed Throw out Bearing Promblem

Was able to fix the problem Thanks kevin
Old 06-22-2010, 12:23 PM
Inactive User

well i have dealt with jammie passon of passon performance. the a833 is the only thing that he deals with he is a engineer and makes alot of the parts that he sells,as well as oem parts from mother mopar.he doesn't sell the cheap china crap. as for brewers the old man his hard to deal with the kid is better but still very exspensive. jammie also does an over drive a833 and its not the chevy style that came in the trucks.i have run a833 since 1978 and after finding passon performance i will never go anywhere else. and no i don't owen stock in the company,just want my fellow mopar people to get it rite the first time. he has a slick shift package for the street/stip and yes you can down shift on the street @275 you can't beat it. 570 401 8949 hes in eastern Penn. good luck and yes he sells trowout bearings
Old 06-22-2010, 04:29 PM

Which type of overdrive is that in the Chevy trucks?

If you don't want to get this thread off-topic, please e.mail me, I'm interested to know about these things.

And yes, Jamie Passon's overdrive mod is a neat conversion and should work very well.