Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > General Chat > Rumors and Gossip, etc...

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 04-28-2000, 12:36 PM
Mopars win..others whine

According to the CarandTruck.com site, the new Charger got the ax!!! Now what? I hope it is not true. But this site is usually right on the money when it comes to rumors. Let's hope it is not true.
Old 04-28-2000, 02:20 PM
Inactive User

You can write an email to the webmaster to plead that it not be cancelled. Give reasons. He will forward emails to DC PR.
Old 04-28-2000, 04:45 PM
Inactive User

Thumbs down

<dd>Well, there's always hope for a Hemi-powered 300N. Man, I guess DC just doesn't want my money, eh?

<dd>*Sigh...*

<dd>- novicius -

<dd>P.S. - Aw, *damn it!* I am tired of being "philosophical" and "positive" about this! I guess I'll have a few Mopar musclecars in my stables but my daily drivers will all be other makes -- and that's just too bad, because it doesn't have to be that way. But until DC management realizes that there exists a group of pony car enthusiasts that wait, year-in and year-out for a new Challenger or Barracuda, I refuse to support them...!

<dd>- novicius -
Old 04-28-2000, 05:01 PM
Moderator and HEMI FIEND

Be cool guys.I would tend to believe that the rumor might have gotten a little warped in some of the retellings.
Crysler has spent alot of money on this car, and has gone to alot of effort to make sure people are aware that it will be in production.
This is what Motor Trend had to say about the car!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"Overwhelming public support for the Dodge
Charger concept car has persuaded DaimlerChrysler to produce the
rear-drive sedan. The Charger will be based on a flexible next-generation sedan platform that will also provide underpinnings
for the front-drive LH cars and next 300 letter car. "
Motor Trend ..Future Car Forcast
If motor trend tells us it is so then I would tend to believe it. Car-Truck while often credible isnt getting official information.
It would be hard to believe that after all the money/Hype that they would totally scrap it. But if it turns into a "Monty Carlo SS" like gm builds now...Id rather see it die than suffer that fate.
Max

[This message has been edited by Maxwedge (edited April 28, 2000).]
Old 04-28-2000, 05:47 PM
Inactive User

If DCX kills the Charger then they kill my support for them. This is just the latest in a series of stupid product moves - no Charger=no product interest. I will not be buying any new Chrysler cars in the future and up to this point I have never owned anything but Mopars. Time to turn in my wimpy sebring on some American muscle like a rustang or camaro instead of waiting for the Charger.

DCX can bite me!

------------------
'68 Charger - 383 4bbl
'69 Charger R/T SE - 440 4bbl
'96 Sebring LXi - small rodent
'00 300M - 3.5l
Old 04-28-2000, 06:50 PM

Let's hope they're going to do something with the intrepid and a v-8. Wasn't there talk at one point that the charger and intrepid were related, same chassis, and that the charger would replace the intrepid. It would make sense for DC to do this. Especially when you can't buy a Monte Carslo or a Tar-ass with a V-8.
Old 04-28-2000, 07:04 PM
Inactive User

<dd>V8 in an Intrepid? Highly doubtful but that's not as important to me as rear-wheel drive.

<dd>Ultimately, that's all I'm asking for -- rear wheel drive. I want a two-door coupe that seats four and is rear-wheel drive. I4, I6, V6, V8, whatever; you can build *anything* to make power, but the work involved in re-engineering an Avenger or Neon to rear-wheel drive just isn't worth it! Give me my drive tires in the back, dammit!

<dd>- novicius -
Old 04-28-2000, 07:07 PM
Moderator and HEMI FIEND

charger@car-truck.com
Send E-mail to this adress and they probably will pass it on to Ma Mopar.lets let em know how we feel..E-mail DC into submission. Evem the thought of cancelling the car is horrible. We have waited patiently too long for it to be cancelled now.
and even if it turns out to be just a rumor, then maybe the e-mail will light a fire underneath there collective BUTTS and get the car on the road sooner or make the car that much better!!!
my .02
Maxwedge
Old 04-28-2000, 10:15 PM
Inactive User

This may all part of Daimler's plan to have Dodge produce nothing but light trucks and vans before 2010. This was rumored before, but sort of died out.

Additionally, if they still build a 2 door 300N Hemi, then management most likely feels that they can push the would-be Charger buyers into buying a slightly more expensive (and more profitable) car.

No matter how you look at it, this decision sucks.

------------------
'68 Charger - 383 4bbl
'69 Charger R/T SE - 440 4bbl
'96 Sebring LXi - small rodent
'00 300M - 3.5l
Old 04-29-2000, 05:03 AM
Addicted Moparchat Member

@#$%&!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-29-2000, 07:37 AM
Inactive User

WOW! Pictures do this car no justice! Saw one tonight in the Dodge road show. I have never seen a four door with such good lines. This would be one fine road car.
Old 04-29-2000, 04:14 PM

From all of the research that I have done, in the past, Chrysler NEVER made an official announcement, that they were going to produce the Charger R/T.

The guy over at car-truck gets alot of his information from several insiders. The magazines also get some of their information from insiders. The people that make the decisions had never made a firm decision until now, or so it seems.

To make your opinions known, Click Here.

Everybody, make your opinions known. I don't want to be forced to buy a Firehawk, Camaro SST, or Cobra in 2004, when I go to buy my new rear wheel drive Musclecar.

------------------
Ed - MoPower

'96 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT CC 360 4X4
'68 Charger 383-4
Old 05-07-2000, 04:58 AM
Mopars win..others whine

I do not know if anyone has mentioned it or not yet, but according to www.car-truck.com yesterday or the day before has stated that the Charger "body" has been axed and not the concept of a rear wheel drive V-8 according to DC. The concept of a Hemi powered rear wheel drive car is still a possibility. DC says there was too much exposure of the Charger and would use another body if not another name (Challenger?). So now I and most of you might still have some hope that DC will build that rear wheel drive V-8.

[This message has been edited by Hoov (edited May 07, 2000).]
Old 06-05-2000, 02:27 AM
Inactive User

Thumbs up

My local Chrysler dealer told me last week that the 300N and the 2004 Charger both were given the go ahead to build. Also the GT Cruiser will probably be built. As far as the Panel one probably not.
Old 06-05-2000, 02:33 AM
Inactive User

Wink

Also the 300N WILL be rear wheel drive
Old 06-16-2000, 03:43 PM
Inactive User

the charger got axed as it stands right now because the body as it is won't fit requirments for winston cup so they are going to come out with a differnt body style but still build it.
Old 06-16-2000, 07:23 PM
Moderator and HEMI FIEND

what!!!!!!!nothing Crysler will ever make will fit because the body is a ford.....If crysler starts making the intrepid or charger look like a ford taurus consider me a GM guy.
UG!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-18-2000, 03:04 PM
Inactive User

yeah i hear ya, the way it sounded on the site i posted for the srt deal, it was gonna be a 2 door or something, but if you want it to be built the way that it is they have a email adress to mail in your opinion on it again that web site is http://www.car-truck.com/chryed/buzz/b041800.htm, i suggest everybody get there $.02 in on this so we can have a new mopar muscle car to park next to our old one's. you are gonna have to look on the site for the info on the charger, it was posted a month ago and i lost the dc email address or i would just post that, i have already sent them 15 emails.

Old 06-19-2000, 03:19 AM

The site owner of www.car-truck.com has NO association with DC/Chrysler/Dodge (read his disclaimer). The email address that was on his site, was to send email to him.

He assures that the email will make it to his associates at Dodge. What does that mean, not much.

Dodge has made the decision, we the people will not be able to reverse that decision.

------------------
Ed - MoPower

'96 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT CC 360 4X4
'68 Charger 383-4
Old 06-20-2000, 10:59 AM
Inactive User

Daimler probably dose'nt like being joined at the hip w/Chrysler and may drop the name altogether. Also read that the crouts-er-I mean Doitchlanders think the Dodge truck is marketable world-wide. Then they give Gwynn-Dunn the ax. Maybe they just dont get it! Or care. If the decisions are being made in Berlin or Stuttgarte or where-ever, then, realistically, what can we the American people do? It seems like globalization is sounding the death knell for American style muscle-the Viper's success not-with-standing. Old Hot-Rodders never die--they just fade away. My .o2

------------------

Old 06-20-2000, 07:08 PM
Moderator and HEMI FIEND

To some degree your right montros BUT since Daimler has Joined/bought Chrysler they have gone from the number 14 auto producer to the number 5...whats not to like. Chrysler makes more cars and more money per car than mercedes ever did. Whats not to like there??
Go check out the numbers yourself at DaimlerChrysler.com
Instead of just making opinions check some facts out.. something I will give you is that Chrysler has taken a back seat to the interests of daimler...possible bad news for us in the future.
my .02
maxwedge
Old 06-21-2000, 07:39 AM
Inactive User

Thanks for the numbers Maxwedge. The merger(acquisition)I also believe bolstered both. And at the time, these numbers were published, as I recall, to the general public. My previous post with it's opening statement'...and may drop the name altogether." ,is pure conjecture on my part. The tone and content of that post was in part reflective of what I was reading from other members posts: Disappointment and disenchantment with DC's purported decision to drop NEW CHARGER project. All in all,I'm with you(that is, if you dont become a"GM Guy") and believe me, I will never give up on MOPAR! Even if it acquires a slight accent in the future.Yah!!

------------------

[This message has been edited by montrose ram (edited June 21, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by montrose ram (edited June 21, 2000).]
Old 07-08-2000, 04:20 PM
Inactive User

Say what you will about the Germans but in case any of you hadn't noticed Mercedes makes RWD cars. Some of them are even sports cars. I doubt very much the Germans had anything to do with the axe of the charger. Chrysler has been trying to shove this FWD thing down everybody's throat ever since Iacocca and if anyone is to blame for this it is the people hired during the Iacocca years. Put the blame where the blame belongs - with Chrysler. They have been screwing up for years and if the germans can make a better company out of chrysler then I am all for it.
Old 07-09-2000, 06:48 AM
Inactive User

Chrysler is a much larger and more successful "auto" company than Daimler. The numbers prove it. Daimler's size can be attributed to its other interests such as aerospace and rail. The Daimler side of DC would be stupid to interfere with the auto making/marketing success of their Chrysler side and Daimler didn't get where they are by being stupid! I seriously doubt that the Charger's fate was decided by Daimler people. If indeed it is dead, I'd bet a month's pay that it was a Chrysler Group decision. As I've said before, the Daimler-Chrysler merger was a good move for both companies. They both needed each other, and can you think of a better partner than Daimler for Ma Mopar? Think about it!
Old 07-11-2000, 04:40 PM
Inactive User

Thumbs up

For what it's worth, Reuters yesterday printed a rumor that ALL 2004 LH cars will be rear wheel drive. I've posted the entire article elsewhere on this site. Excerpts:

"DETROIT, July 10 (Reuters) - German-U.S. automaker DaimlerChrysler AG is working on plans to switch all its Dodge and Chrysler LH sedans to rear-wheel-drive for the 2004 model year...

"The LH cars were originally supposed to be redesigned for the 2003 model year, with plans to offer the 300M and Charger in rear-wheel-drive along with a V-8 engine, sources said. However, that made those cars more expensive and reduced profits on the other cars at the Canadian plant SO THE DECISION WAS MADE TO DO THEM ALL IN REAR WHEEL DRIVE."

(My capitals!)

Old 07-11-2000, 05:27 PM
Inactive User

Biggrin

Followup: The same rumor was reported by Ward's Automotive News. Complete article and photo of the 2004 Charger on-line at:
http://www.wardsauto.com/v3/article....70900963200039
Old 07-11-2000, 11:44 PM
Moderator and HEMI FIEND

I will be glad to see and own one of them when they come out. Hopefully it wont be marred by recalls and bad design..I hope all the computer design propaganda is true and that they put it to good use.
Maxwedge
they build a charger R/T with a 6 speed Im getting 2!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-12-2000, 12:24 AM

Don't forget that Chrysler also had large military and aerospace divisions before 1980. Chrysler sold it's tank division to General Dynamics in the late '70's. Chrysler also was a major contractor on the Apollo moon program, I believe they were responsible for either the second or third stage integration and operation contract.

[This message has been edited by IndyRam (edited July 11, 2000).]
Old 07-12-2000, 03:56 AM
Inactive User

I hope they really do this. I would very much like my next new car purchase to be a mopar. Tell me, is this new small block hemi a real hemi or is it a canted valve engine like the new prostock hemi?
Old 07-12-2000, 05:57 AM
Moderator and HEMI FIEND

I dont think I have read anything on the exact style of head..other than its a dual plug affair...I cant wait