Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 06-03-2003, 11:19 PM
Inactive User

Default bulkhead connector problems

we're having a problem with the bulkhead connector in my brothers 71 satellite. sometimes everything will be dead in the car, and when i play with it, everything will come back on and there is an actual buzzing noise coming from the connector. it feels kinda loose too.

also, while the car is running, there is somthing clicking on the left side of the dash (underneath), but i can't see anything that would do it... every time it clicks, the rpm lowers a little, and the lights go dim, then it clicks again, the rpm raises, and the lights get bright...

any help is much appreciated! is there any way to get a new, or another bulk head connector? (i can trim and reconnect wires if need be, or get another type of unit thats actually in the firewall?)
Old 06-03-2003, 11:35 PM
Inactive User

The buzzing noise is probably the electicity jumping between the ends of the connectors inside the bulkhead connector. May be some risty connections.
The dimming may be the ends arching and maybe a short. The clicking may be a relay for something like turn signals/hazzards that is shorting out. Unplug one of them and try it. Then put that one back in and take out the other. This is a start anyway.
Old 06-04-2003, 12:21 AM
Inactive User

hey, 72roadrunner, be careful with that bulkhead connector! there is a lot of juice going through there (alt gauge) mine caught on fire due to a bad connection. burned through my oil gauge line too. all while driving through the massey tunnel. yee haa! my son was freaking out, at the flames coming from under the dash, and th oil squirting onto the floor. ( dad, whats so funny?)

anyways, like i said, it will catch fire!
Old 06-04-2003, 12:39 AM
Inactive User

Lightbulb

take conectors all apart and use a metal prep from pro paint shop,and clean or soak ends in solution and wa la .they will look new and conduct much better too.Use die electric grease to re assemble and repair any bad or loose pins .
Old 06-04-2003, 01:03 AM
Inactive User

i'll try that. thanx. any way (besides a painless kit and rewire the whole thing) to put a new or reconditioned bulkhead connector?? kinda doubt it, but still...

thanx guys!
Old 06-04-2003, 09:46 AM
Inactive User

Check this ebay items and ask him. I bought a connector/box last year but can't find the person yet. I'll let you know when I find the info. John Kunkle bought one also.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=38636
Old 06-04-2003, 09:55 AM
Inactive User

Thumbs up More advice.......

Had a similar issue with my '69 Coronet.

My background is electronics so I knew a few tricks to get connections working again. FIRST, examine the bulkhead connector for warped, melted, bubbled, places and other damage. If the connector looks ok then disconnect the connector at the firewall. MOST LIKELY 30+ years of weather has oxydized the contacts. That is easily fixed. You need a brass brissled brush and a can of contact cleaner. Wear the brush out on cleaning the contacts. THEN, clean everything up with the spray cleaner. Trial fit the connector back together and make sure it feels like the lugs and spades are getting a good 'bite'. If it seems that some connectors are making good contact, use a small blade screwdriver and bend the female ends of the connectors in a bit so they bite into the spade. Once you are confident that all connections are making, then use diaelectric grease inside the connector.
It is possible that the bulkhead connector can just be flat WORN OUT, if it has been apart and dicked around with dozens of times. I have fixed odd electrical problems on mopars many times using this technique.
Old 06-04-2003, 03:07 PM
Inactive User

amxauto: thanx for that link! i'll show my bro and see what he wants to do...for $10+shipping, why not??

Dr.: i'll do that first, but after this bad header gasket ...hate the sound of a leaky header on a 440!

thanx all!