Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 06-06-2003, 04:08 PM
Inactive User

Default Pertronix elect Ignition update pre '70 issues ?

Quick question:

I called Pertronix and the girl on the phone wasnt 100% sure, and she compared me to her bf's 62 Cadillac

I have a 68 383HP motor and the ignition is a single point and I want to upgrade to electronic

If you go the MoPar electronic conversion route, I would have to also upgrade my alternator and regulator to a '70 and later version (electronic and single wire). I dont want to do all that.

For the Pertronix conversion, do I have to upgrade the alternator and regulator to a '70 or later, or can I just drop it in and go, keeping the original electromechanical regulator and 2 wire alt ?(which I would really like to do to keep everything else original on the car)

THANKS !!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-06-2003, 04:18 PM
Inactive User

I would just put a big capacitor next to the distribitor +12 feed to filter the power going to the pertronic ignition module.
Old 06-06-2003, 04:52 PM
Inactive User

Default electronic distributor:

You do not have to upgrade the alternator and regulator to change to electronic ignition,I did it to my 68 383 two days ago.
Old 06-06-2003, 04:53 PM

my 68 300, 440 motor, has a MP electronic coversion, I DID NOT
change the alternator or the voltage regulator. That was 1999, no problems.
Old 06-06-2003, 05:08 PM
Inactive User

http://www.fourforty.com/techstuff/ignition.html

I saw this and several other sites that all indicated the one wire alt and Electronic Voltage Reg upgrade on a pre 70's car as being the thing to do.

FYI..... the snippet....

"Whether you are converting an earlier ignition system, replacing Lean Burn, or repairing an existing electronic ignition system, the work is not at all difficult. Because the electronic ignition system used only a few components, it is easy to work with and troubleshoot. The requirements for installing an electronic ignition system are as follows:

An alternator with an electronic voltage regulator.
Electronic Control Unit (ECU).
Distributor with a pickup coil.
Ballast resistor.
Wiring harness. "

Thanks for the replies so far !
Old 06-06-2003, 05:25 PM
Inactive User

From the MP Electronic Ignition Conversion Instructions:

3. Battery voltage is very critical to electronic ignition systems. You may want to use a Mopar Performance High Output Voltage Regulator (P3690731 for 1970 & newer, P3690732 for 1969 and older). They are especially useful if you use an alternator cutout during racing. The MP voltage regulators are set for a constant alternator output of 14.5 volts, they should not be used for continuous operation.

Note: for the '69 and older cars, the electronic regulator P3690732 should be considered a race only option unless your engine has a high rpm miss.

sounds like its an option afterall....

thanks Guys !
Old 06-06-2003, 08:11 PM
Inactive User

the only real issue with the pertronix ignitor is to be sure to use a coil with a 1.5 ohm rating.

i have used several on ford, chevy, and now my mopar with no trouble at all. takes 10 min. to install and be riding electronic, and looks stock too...if your in to that.
Old 06-07-2003, 08:31 AM
Inactive User

Lightbulb pertronics ignition:

Rob, I have a practically new pertronics unit from my 68 383 that I am not useing, I went with a rebuilt electronics unit from Cuda Don. Let me now if you are interested. Dave
Old 06-07-2003, 09:42 AM
Inactive User

Rob, I just converted my 1962 413 with the Mopar Performance kit without any trouble. Well almost no trouble!!!!
I did use my old alternator but I did change my Regulator with an electronic one. This regulator looks exactly like the old style, 61 and up to I do not know what year, except that it is electronic inside. It all seems to work great. I mounted the ECU up under the dash. For that I just had to make 3 of the wires longer. Now my 62 Chrysler 300 Convertible looks stock except for the 2 wires coming out of the distributor and the exrta wire to the fire wall.

The only TROUBLE I had was following the instructions and not remembering some of the basics of big blocks. The last V8 I did plugs and wires was my 318. Clockwise rotation. WELL the instructions clearly have 2 diagrams of the small blocks AND the big blocks with Clockwise rotation. I followed the diagram and when I went to start it, it wouldn't. After pounding my head and some trouble shooting I finally found out that big blocks are counter-clockwise rotation. Rewired the dist. and it fired right up.

While the diagrams clearly showed clockwise rotation for the big blocks, the next page in printed words said it was counter-clockwise. My fault was only looking at the diagram and thinking that I knew more than I did. Anyway it all worked out and she runs fine.

Charlie
Old 06-09-2003, 01:06 PM
Inactive User

On Friday I went ahead and ordered the Pertronix Igniter and Flame Thrower coil (in black) We shall see how it goes !

I have one of Dons Igintion Rebuild/Custom Curves in my 70 Challenger with a Road Demon 625 , seems pretty good so far.

With the '68 Im trying to stick to original appearance as best I can/what is truly practical, which is why Im going the pertronix route.

Guys Thank You ALL !!

Robb
Old 06-11-2003, 01:09 PM
Banned

Have a look here:
http://www.4secondsflat.com/electricalsystems.html