Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 06-10-2003, 04:25 PM
Inactive User

Default six pack air cleaner base woes

I just put a six pack hood on my 69 Roadrunner, I know the original air cleaner bases were fairly large and square with a gasket that sealed to the hood when closed. My problem is, I am running a single carb and apparently there are no six pack air cleaner bases for single carbs. Has anybody encountered this, and more importantly how did you solve it ( aside from getting a six pack setup; which is tempting !) Frank R
Old 06-10-2003, 04:36 PM

There were a several air grabber hoods that mated to single 4-ballel carbs on '69-'72 B body cars.
While the single carb air cleaner bases might not mate perectly to your hood, they might work with a little tweaking. Year One has several repop single 4-barrel bases available.
Old 06-10-2003, 04:44 PM
Inactive User

I have both styles of the Oval Air Grabber air cleaner (high and low), but the base for the six pack Lift off hood I believe is quite a bit larger, I'm guessing slightly larger than the scoop?? I didn't see that at year one but I will look again..I know they sell the base for the 3 barrel lift off hood but I didn't see a base for a sigle carb lift off hood. Hope I clarified what I was trying to say earlier... Frank R
Old 06-12-2003, 05:46 PM

On the Year One site do a search for AA5069, AA5070 or GC100.
One of them might come close.
Old 06-12-2003, 05:56 PM
Banned

Do you want to just seal it to the hood or use an air cleaner too?

NEVER done it myself but I have heard of people doing it....... they had to hand-make an alum piece.
Old 06-13-2003, 12:06 PM
Inactive User

I want to do both, run an air cleaner and seal it to the hood. I suppose if there is nothing out there ready made I will have to try and fabricate something. I was hoping some of these repop people would have had the foresight to predict that not just people with 3 carbs would be buying their product and offer an air cleaner base for single carbs that seal to the hood. It seems like the aftermarket industry approach Mopar stuff like red headed stepchildren unless it is for a "chevy". They tend to deliver products for Mopar "al la carte" and deliver a "full course meal" to the most worthless of Chevy products. I guess I should be thankful for what they do have. Frank R.
Old 06-13-2003, 02:41 PM
Inactive User

Hey Frank, I know what you mean. I looked into this exact same thing a while back, never did it though. Nobody made a single hole six bbl base that I could find. If I remember correctly, didn't the `69 1/2 cars use the underhood base/seal that had a standard 6-pack base bolted to it?
Jim
Old 06-14-2003, 07:31 AM
Inactive User

Frank,

Won't the regular Airgrabber setup work. Truth be told, I can't remember what the carb/air cleaner setup looks like for a 69 1/2 hood.

I have a 69 with an Airgrabber setup and the aircleaner base for my four-barrel Thermoquad.

What's the difference between what I have and what you need?

(Pardon the ignorance; just curious.)

Terry
Old 06-14-2003, 04:25 PM
Inactive User

My original 69 hood has the air grabber system which has the oval base and orange oval top with the "coyote duster" graphics. The air grabber part is attached to the hood and stretches across the hood from scoop to scoop. A large oval gasket attaches to the air grabber and when the hood is closed seals to the air cleaner base. There is a cable inside the car labeled "carb air" , this cable operates doors and allows you to open or close off air coming through the scoops on the top of the hood. The hood looks like a normal 69 hood except the scoops have a metal mesh on top instead of being solid. I went with the six pack hood for two reasons, the main reason is my air grabber system is completely intack and when I put the new engine in, I used a different manifold so everything sits higher in the engine compartment and I didn't want to risk cracking or breaking the air grabber box (my fears were justified, after getting everything in, the aircleaner sits higher than the fenders so my stock hood would not have fit). The other reason was...looks, the six pack hood looks bitchin on Roadrunners. The lift off hood's air cleaner base is more squarish and the seal, seals around the scoop so the air is captured for the carb's. Thats the main difference between the two set-ups, my plight is to try and seal the hood to the air cleaner base which if I had 3 carbs wouldn't be a problem. Frank R.