Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 06-10-2003, 05:54 PM
Inactive User

Biggrin Dog S#!* luck...never again

Hey guys,
Been a while since my last post and a lot has happened. I need some advice lowering my quartermile times on a 16-year old's budget (a.k.a $500 :-P).

My last outing at the track this past sunday was a sign that miracles CAN happen. It was my 2nd actuall race I entered and guess what?? I won 2nd place! in the street class that is....
Heres whats really odd--> I went down to the track at about 10:30am. Passed tech, went directly to the staging area. Did a 3 sec burnout (on nice meaty gas-station 2nd hand tires 195/75/14...Price= $Free.99) My first run I ran a 15.205 @93.14 MPH. I was trippin' out! my best run on previous races was 15.54 and I didnt change a THING! I did another run and my time started going down, Despite a .534 reaction time I only managed a 15.48 @94MPH. My shifts were almost identical (on my 727 that is...hehehe, dont tell me to put it in drive it aint go no kickdown). Ill post my cars stats at the bottom so you can all point and laugh at the feeble little attempt at mopar fame. Also I noticed that every OTHER run there was a top-end miss like a little gremlin was playing with my throttle at about 5500 RPM or so. It was like a very slow revlimiter. I removed the fuel filter and it helped somewhat but I still felt like the car was only running at 90% throughout the powerband. The only reason I got 2nd place was becase every person I challenged BROKE OUT! hahaha! A tail wind picked up and I was the only one with a dial in SO OFF that I didnt break out. I lost in the last round to a friggin jeep cherokee 5.9L running 16.1. Oh well...so, anyone got any advice for me? I was thinking of investing in a new rear end, torque converter, and mallory Hyfire IA ignition. What should I get first? check my car stats:
1972 Dodge dart Custom 4d w/rust hole induction throughout
318 V8 transplanted from 225 /6. Stock 7 1/4 w/stock diesel gears
Edelbrock Streetmaster 318 intake
Holley 600CFM vaccum secondary
Summit .441 lift 218/228 duration cam
heddman headers (open at the track)
electric fan (I know...VERY generic isnt it?)
727 w/transpak @highperformance settting (no kickdown)
stock torque converter
Stock electronic distributor w/accel 8mm wires

Other than that everything else is stock...Ive heard of people grinding the sparkplug washers so they point down to the pistions better, does this help? Any cheap ugrade advice and quartermile help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 06-10-2003, 08:16 PM
Inactive User

Well, one thing I can tell you is, if you don't have a manual valve body you need the kickdown. It controls the throttle pressure and with out it you won't have enough pressure applying the front clutches. They will burn out.
Old 06-10-2003, 08:36 PM
Inactive User

Ditto on the kickdown, it won't live long without being hooked up and adjusted. Won't hurt your times.
Old 06-10-2003, 08:36 PM
Inactive User

well since you're in Hawaii, you don't go on any really long drives, so i would step up with some gears in the rear. see if you can get an 8 1/4" rear for that car, alot stronger than 7 1/4 , and should be totally obtainable even there. i was to Hawaii 2x, years ago when i was single and could afford to go. i stayed at a friends house in Lahaina,Maui & did the tourist thing in Oahu,Waikiki. loved Maui , did the road to Hana and cycled down Haleakula with my own bike i brought from NY. go for a trac-lok or sure-grip w/the 8 1/4 and 3.55 gears should do nice for a dual purpose machine.
Old 06-11-2003, 12:14 PM
Banned

It sounds to me like you were getting a lean miss at the top end.

Here's some cheap things you can do:

Carter 120 GPH mechanical pump under $80.00

Pro Flow cannister fuel filter $39.00

Get a good free flowing air filter Rush or K&N

Run a 180 thermostat and drill 3- 1/8 holes in the flange to circulate water constantly....$10.00

Put a switch on the field wire for your alternator so you can turn it off when you make your pass.....$6.00

Take the spare tire and tool box out of the trunk....$0.00

Practice your lights...although a .534 is dam respectable!....don't practice too much I may have to race you someday....LOL

Forget the spark plug indexing....it won't do anything on your car.

Get that tranny fixed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You may need to just get the Lokar kick down cable kit to make life easy.

You can also try a 1/2 inch 4 hole spacer under the carb...$30-40.

Good luck...cut a good light run 'em out the back door!
Old 06-23-2003, 04:19 PM
Inactive User

Default RE

Thanks guys, sorry I took so long to reply

A few things I forgot to mention...
I am not currently running a thermostat, or air filter so my car is flowin' like the mississippi! I was looking at a bunch of Holley Red 110GPH fuel pumps on ebay for $50, they worth it? Im running a 1'' open spacer, the guy at Shell told me I should also add on a spacer with the center divider (forget what he called it) so I get better bottom end with my all top end vehicle.

Now about that transmission thing...
I been noticing a 1/4-1/2 sec. slip into third under heavy acceleration...guess I cajuned those clutches nice and good huh?
Where can I get a kickdown for cheap? Keep in mind there arent any scrapyards where I live and NO ONE's got Dodges. So i'd need to order it. How much is that lokar cable one? Any website with cheap dodge parts would be appreciated, thanks!

Also the problem of the top end lagging miss is still there but it seems to get worse the more runs I do, im thinking its my fuel pump not keeping up, since the one I have is a borg warner mechanical. Im pretty sure it isnt lean, in fact, I think im running rich. The exhaust gasses from my car are equal to that of onions and nerve gas. You cant stay under that car for more than 5 sec without your eyes watering up BAD and stinging and coughing. My dad says its raw gas not being burned thats making those funky fumes. Any more info? Thanks again!
Old 06-23-2003, 06:09 PM
Banned

Where to start????????????????

You need to read the tech articles on Demon tuning 101 and Edelbrock tuning so you have a better understanding of how a carb works and what circuits do what.

Then go read the Mission ignition post so you uinderstand about timing and when and the events need to occur.

4 hole spacer for good idle and better bottom end, 4 hole spacer for top end and full out race cars.

Air filter or new rings...you choice.

Put a thermostat in it.
Old 06-23-2003, 07:37 PM
Moparchat Bronze member

Default Late comer here.

That miss up top is prbably due to a week ignition. Upgrade the coil at least. The whole ignition at once would be best.
Rejet that carb. It is costing you big at the track.
Get the tranny fixed!!!!!
Listen to cuda66273, he has excellent tips.