Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Neon Club Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 10-25-2000, 01:22 PM
Inactive User

Cool

Try putting about -.1 camber in the front. This makes a HUGE difference in handling and actually reduces uneven tire wear if you flog it hard on the street. If you don't have the ACR package like me , then you can order a set of crash bolts from dodge that allow some adjustability. I had mine aligned yesterday and the car is a different animal in the corners. When you throw it into a corner, instead of urging you to exit along a straight line, it just grips and goes. It actually feels like it wants to be in the corner

Ahhhhh, now I just hope it doesn't affect my off the line traction at the dragstrip.

------------------
* 97 ACR (9.762@71.53) 1/8 mile

Old 10-26-2000, 01:17 AM

I ran neg 1 degree on each side in the front on my Neon R/T. Made a world of difference.
I also had my toe set at 1/32 toe in on each side...total of 1/16.
The Neon suspension is designed so that under hard throttle the tires toe out slightly.
I slotted the mounting holes in my struts to be able to get the camber I wanted. Just takes a few minutes with a file, and it's way cheaper than "crash bolts".

If you drive your Neon on off ramps hard, you will really like this set up. I ran mine for 32,000 miles like this without getting ANY uneven tread wear patterns at all.

Later,
Jeff C.

------------------
"There's no such thing as too much cam, just not enough motor"
-David Freiburger

00 Dakota RC 2wd, IB 4.7 V8 5spd. 3.55's. Decal free, 255/60-15 Firestone's, loud pipe's, homemade intake and traction bars, removed overloads, and more to come...
Old 10-29-2000, 04:45 PM
Inactive User

Cool

If I go to get an alignment can I bring specs? What other specs should I know about?

Thanks

J
Old 10-29-2000, 06:27 PM

Cool

You have to talk to the shop.

Some shops are "by the book". They won't do anything outside of stock spec's. The problem is, stock specs leave quite abit of room for improvement.

The Neon (non ACR) has no provision for camber adjustment. You will have to either slot out the mounting holes on the struts, or buy a set of "crash bolts" from a dealer.

Ideal settings are:
neg 1 degree on each side---front
toe in 1/32 on each side---front
toe set as close to zero---rear
camber on rear straight up

Try and see if they will do the alignment with you in the drivers seat. Then you know the settings are as close to perfect as possible.

You will pobably have to sign a "waiver" showing that you approved these settings.

Later,
Jeff C.

------------------
"There's no such thing as too much cam, just not enough motor"
-David Freiburger

00 Dakota RC 2wd, IB 4.7 V8 5spd. 3.55's. Decal free, 255/60-15 Firestone's, loud pipe's, homemade intake and traction bars, removed overloads, and more to come...