Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 06-15-2003, 02:05 AM
Inactive User

Default Wiring Hell

Being new to the forums i feel i should introduce myself, and my purpose for visiting the site.
I'm an 18 year old 1/4 mile enthusiast and have done everything possible to learn as much as possible to learn the sport i love, and activily participate in the local bracket series.
Anyways, why i'm hear is that a buddy of mine recently bought a 68' Dart, 440 engine, 727 trans, 4.10 rear gears. Mildly modified engine.
The car is his daily driver, as well he will be racing it. We have been having some serious problems with the wiring. The car has been a butcher job from previous owners, and they've really destroyed most of the stock wiring harness.
I have a hell of a time trying to get the current owner...Jon to focus on getting the car reliable! Being that his main concern weather or not he realises it.

I need the wiring diagrams for the 68' Dart, particularly the Interior harness.
The previous owners cut it all up to install kill switches, fuel pump switches, tachs, ect.
At this moment i'm not sure that we have the option of buying a whole new harness, but i'll look into it.
I'm going to attempt to repair every aspect of the current harness.
I'd appreciate everyone's opinion on the best, longest lasting, strongest and most weather resistant type of splicing wires available to me?
Thanks.
Old 06-15-2003, 03:27 AM
Inactive User

Biggrin

Wiring diagrams can be found in Haynes and Motor manuals, wiring harnesses can be purchased from Year One. Hope this helps a little.
Old 06-15-2003, 10:46 AM
Inactive User

Dart,

If your lucky you can find an unmolested harness at the junkyard. I have two of them for future use but mine arent for sale. They arent that hard to remove, just need a little patience to unhook everything and carefully remove from the dash. I was in the same boat you are as far as hacked up harnesses go, but have been lucky enough to find the problems and correct them. Now I have the extras like map lights and such for future use.

I'm sure someone here can help you with the wiring diagrams.

Good Luck

Old 06-16-2003, 09:58 AM
Inactive User

On splicing wirres... my trick is to solder them together, put heat shrink tubing over, then dip the connection it "plasti-dip" avail at homedepot. I did this on my car trailer lights, and never had a problem with them since. I try to solder all connections. Maybe overboard but I hate wiring.
Old 06-16-2003, 12:46 PM
Inactive User

rb77413,

Ever since seeing the MAD electrical web site I have been using butt joints soldered and shrink tubing as well. I have come a long way from twisted wires and tape!