Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 06-15-2003, 12:25 PM
Inactive User

Help Head Advice/Lead Additive Wanted

I've got a set of 906 BB heads. I had them redone and fully ported years ago, but I left the valve size stock. The shop that did them was supposed to install hardened seats for unleaded gas, but they did not. I've been driving this car for almost 10 years using unleaded 93 octane. It did run strong and made 485 hp and 512 lbs/tq. Anyway, due to other motor problems I've pulled the motor. I've ben told hardened seats cannot be installed---there is not enough material.

Now I have a couple of options and decisions to make.

1. Redo the heads with 2.14s and 1.81 and run a lead substitute. But, what lead subtitute?

2. Find another set of factory heads and have them ported and redone with hardened seats.

3. Buy Edelbrocks---This is my least favorite solution because I already plan on buying one set of E-heads for another car. I just don't have the money for two sets right now.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.
Old 06-15-2003, 12:59 PM
This account disabled due to bad email address!

I would get a opinion from another machine shop, would be the first thing, sounds like there blowing smoke .........well you know were! Honestly, I would go with the 2.14/1.81 sizes valves without the hard seats at all, depending on what your plans are with the engine. If its going to be in a truck/wrecker that will see lots of miles and towing go for ther hard seats. If it going into a weekend warrior or street car that wont even see daily use forget the hard seats. There is no reaseon why they cant put in seats and keep the same valves, the bowl is machined out and the hard seat insert is push/pressed in. The the normal valve job can be takin place. Remeber the hard seat only need to go on the exhuast side any way. If your machine shop says diff, load your parts up.......give em a good cursing.........and run far far away!

Oh yea, you said your self that the engine ran great for 10 years, without them........so you have your answer now right? For the price of the seats and labor, you can have the seats now open up and purchase the 2.14/1.81 valves for around the same cost as just installing and buy those hard exhaust seat.
Old 06-15-2003, 01:39 PM
Inactive User

Default Re: Head Advice/Lead Additive Wanted

Quote:
Originally posted by Sixpack2Go
I've got a set of 906 BB heads. I've ben told hardened seats cannot be installed---there is not enough material.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.
Did the machine shop tell you this? Cant believe there is not "enough material" when they can still do a 2.14/181 valve job.
I would seek out another shop.
Old 06-15-2003, 02:24 PM
Inactive User

BB Chrysler heads dont have a whole lot of room on the short turn on the exhaust in stock form. I dont use seats larger than 1.812" or deeper than 7/32". Its possible that who ever ported the heads removed too much material there and thats why the shop says there is not enough room for seats. Cant tell without looking but its possible.
Old 06-15-2003, 02:53 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally posted by hedgehog
BB Chrysler heads dont have a whole lot of room on the short turn on the exhaust in stock form. I dont use seats larger than 1.812" or deeper than 7/32". Its possible that who ever ported the heads removed too much material there and thats why the shop says there is not enough room for seats. Cant tell without looking but its possible.
If the heads were ported correctly and I am assuming they were by the # reported there should not have been that much material removed from the exhaust ports
Old 06-15-2003, 03:15 PM
This account disabled due to bad email address!

I have been running 516/906 heads for over ten years in diff cars, with factory seats for leaded fuel. If its not a daily driver, I would forget the hard seats. Heavy loads/lugging a vehicle like towing is were the hard seats will make the diff. I would forget about the lead additive, it very expensive, doing that route, you will be cheaper to have the hard seats intsalled. Have all that work in the heads, new valves, new hard exhaust seats, cleaned, decked, valve job, springs, retainers, assembly, and mostly labor. The eddy heads maybe within that budget, and will only result in a much lighter front end, better performance than most any fully ported stock head compared to box stock eddys. The come assembled with good springs, you can run around a point higher compression, in your engine with premium pump fuel, with optimal timing WITHOUT detnation..............hmm that would be the route i would go, before i dump $1000 into a head thats 30+ years old, thats inferour to the new eddys.
Old 06-15-2003, 03:35 PM
Inactive User

I totally agree with 6 packing you could sell the heads on Ebay to recoup some of the cost for the eddies, but I just hate it when a shop tells me a bunch of BS. I took a set of P&P 452 heads to a shop for some work and the shop called said the heads were cracked/ junk and had throwen them in the junk pile. The rest of the story is way to long and nasty to post here but I got enough to buy a set of new eddies.