Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 06-19-2003, 12:02 AM
Inactive User

Default cutting/flaring brake line

don't know if this is performance or restoration since restoration would probably not need to cut the lines. How can you figure out the correct length to cut the lines so that the flare seals into the fitting?? I got the double flaring tool from the parts store loan a tool program but of course there are no directions. I'm going from a single reservoir drum system to a dual reservoir 4 wheel disk system and maybe add a line lock if I can get this length question figured out. Thanks
Old 06-19-2003, 12:53 AM
Banned

Why not just get the lines all pre bent and install them and do away with the hassel?
Old 06-19-2003, 04:06 AM
Inactive User

Default Re: cutting/flaring brake line

Quote:
Originally posted by mauve66
don't know if this is performance or restoration since restoration would probably not need to cut the lines. How can you figure out the correct length to cut the lines so that the flare seals into the fitting?? I got the double flaring tool from the parts store loan a tool program but of course there are no directions. I'm going from a single reservoir drum system to a dual reservoir 4 wheel disk system and maybe add a line lock if I can get this length question figured out. Thanks
Do yourself a favour and get a small piece of pipe that you'll be using (a 2 inch section will do). Make sure it is a definate length. You'll have to measure it and remember the original length. Then double flare one end. Then re-measure the length. It should be about 1/4 shorter. Either way, the difference between the two will give you a number. After you bend all of your tubing, cut the length you need PLUS whatever the number difference there was in the first step (example: if you need 5 feet of pipe, and the difference was 1/4 and since you need two ends flaired, your total pipe length should be 5 feet and 1/2 inch.) Hope that helps.
Old 06-19-2003, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by dwc43
Why not just get the lines all pre bent and install them and do away with the hassel?
Because some people would prefer to do it themselves and save $20.
Old 06-19-2003, 10:55 AM
Inactive User

I hope I understood your question correctly and gave a good responce. You just wanted to know how to get the right length after you had the total length plus whatever length you lost in flaring the pipe, right? Like I said, I'd venture a guess at a 1/4 of an inch loss on one end, 1/2" for a solid piece flared at both ends. That metal piping gives a bit though, you don't really need to compensate much at all. I'd use some pieces of puddy and a length of string or yarn to get the length I needed of any given section. You can use the puddy to hold the end of the yarn securely to whatever you start at, and then more pieces attatched to the chassis/body/engine bay where you would need the "piping" to bend. Just my $.02
Old 06-19-2003, 11:07 AM
Inactive User

Default double flaring brake lines

mauve,

I recently did my brake lines...I started out with a couple of pieces of scrap to practice flaring on first. This should give you a good idea of how much length is used up doing the double flare. Do you know how to use the tool? I would use a fine file on the end of the tube first to smooth any sharp edges and make sure the round attachment will fit smoothly in the inside diameter of the tube. There are a number of web sites that will give you a visual picture on how to do this. Just do a search for brake line flaring and I'm sure you'll find one.

Here's one I found in ten seconds...

http://www.rx7turboturbo.com/robrobi...brake_line.htm

hope this helps

Bruce
Old 06-19-2003, 02:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by ehostler

Because some people would prefer to do it themselves and save $20.
I'll pay 20 bucks for less hassel, sometimes ...
Old 06-19-2003, 03:09 PM

I didn't know there was that much hassle in the cut and flare of a brake line. Besides, most people can buy what they need at the local auto parts store and custom up a brake line in just a couple minutes. The other option is to order the prefab line and wait while it is shipped to you and pay too much for it.
Old 06-19-2003, 03:13 PM
Banned

He did not say what he was working on but I can pick up most stock suff in town or overnight like that.
Old 06-19-2003, 11:57 PM
Inactive User

thanks for all the responses. I don't think that they even make an aftermarket re-bent kit when switching from a single reservoir to a modern dual reservoir. Even the original equipment front disc/rear drum still only had the single reservoir. The 4 wheel disc setup came with some lines theat have the connectors on both ends but I thought that I should be ready if I need to make one of my own. I like the idea of just getting a scrap piece, flaring the ends and re-measuring to get the diference. Plain generic brake line shouldn't be very expensive is it?? besides, I'm already way over budget and only have 6 weeks to have it drivable so I can get it to the new house without the disgrace of towing it AGAIN.................... after the brakes I still need to finish the exhaust so I can get it to the alignment shop...... still in 6 weeks
Old 06-20-2003, 12:06 AM
Inactive User

Hah. Do not be disgraced, no matter what you do. Brakes? Who needs them. You've got the cabled emergency brake. Worst comes to worst, get an anchor and some 1" chain and throw it out the window when you want to stop. Alignment? Just hold on tight with both hands Good luck with the brakes.
Old 06-20-2003, 06:39 PM
Inactive User

Default Buying brake lines...

I've recently bought brake lines from E-Bay. They've already been flared and have all fittings and adapters needed. All I needed to do is bend them, so the actual shipping costs weren't that bad since it didn't need to be packed in a large box.