Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 06-19-2003, 11:22 PM
Inactive User

Help 440 intake gaskets

I'm ready to install a Holley Dominator manifold on my 440. I have a new Fel-pro valley tray and 4 fiber gaskets. My question is, do I use all 4 gaskets and sandwich the valley tray between them? I tried this but the bolt holes don't line up. It seems the holes in the manifold are up too high on the heads. I removed the top layer of gaskets and that leaves about a 1/16" gap between the head and manifold. What am I doing wrong?? Also, are there gaskets that go under the front and rear of the valley tray?
Please help this 440 first-timer!
Old 06-19-2003, 11:38 PM
Inactive User

Sounds like the block and/or heads have been milled enough to affect the way the manifold sits. I would recommend removing the heads and having the intake sides cut so the manifold will fit properly. I dont recommend cutting the intake as it will only fit your current combination. There are no end gaskets, just the bars to hold the pan.
Old 06-19-2003, 11:47 PM
Inactive User

If I were to cut the manifold, are you saying have the gasket surface machined? This sounds better than having the heads milled because the valves would have to be removed, cleaned and reassembled wouldn't they?
Old 06-20-2003, 12:20 AM
Inactive User

Yes the heads would have to be disassembled and cleaned. Its up to you but if the manifold is cut then it wont fit any other head/block combination unless it is exactly like what you have. Meaning that the manifold basically cannot be used on any other engine. If it is an expensive intake i would'nt recommend cutting it. If its cast iron then i would'nt worry about it.
Old 06-20-2003, 08:44 AM
Inactive User

Default Re: 440 intake gaskets

Quote:
Originally posted by WayneT
I'm ready to install a Holley Dominator manifold on my 440. I have a new Fel-pro valley tray and 4 fiber gaskets. My question is, do I use all 4 gaskets and sandwich the valley tray between them? I tried this but the bolt holes don't line up. It seems the holes in the manifold are up too high on the heads. I removed the top layer of gaskets and that leaves about a 1/16" gap between the head and manifold. What am I doing wrong?? Also, are there gaskets that go under the front and rear of the valley tray?
Please help this 440 first-timer!
Let me think on this one. If you take one set of gaskets out and there is a 1/16th gap. Then if you machine the intake side of the heads, then the gap will be bigger! So don't do that.

Try putting the intake on with out any gasket at all and tell us how the bolt holes line up. And if the surfaces are touching. There should be a little bit of a gap. Then try it with just the valley pan gasket. I've only used the pan gaket. I've never needed the other gaskets.
Old 06-20-2003, 11:43 AM
This account disabled due to bad email address!

You will never be able to use bith gaskets at the same time. The valley pan gasket may be .020 thick, the fibers must be .040 thick or more. If your using both there is somthing serious mismatch. Like AMXAUTO said lay the intake on the engine without gaskets take a look around. You want to make sure its nessiasary to pull the heads and have milling done that you dont need.
Old 06-20-2003, 02:11 PM

I think we bought the same gasket kit! My heads and intake are new and the block has never been milled. I had the same problem when trying to use the paper gaskets along with the valley pan. I agree with AMX, in that I've always used the valley pan with sealer (no additional gaskets on either side) and never had a problem. Mine fit fine without the paper gaskets. Another option is to make or buy a custom valley pan that doesn't cover the intake ports. Then you'd be fine using just the paper gaskets???

Later,

Greg

Old 06-20-2003, 02:21 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally posted by gsmopar
[B] Another option is to make or buy a custom valley pan that doesn't cover the intake ports. Then you'd be fine using just the paper gaskets???

Later,

Greg
How are you going to seal the line/edge along the inside of the head/valley? The valley will leak oil past the pan if it isn't sealed somehow.
Old 06-21-2003, 06:49 PM
Inactive User

I figured it out, this is what I did..........

Bolted the intake onto one head without any gaskets and measured the gap to the other head. It was .050 (that equals .025 per side.) The valley pan measures .020 thick. So I used the paper gaskets on the head and the valley tray on top of those. The bolts went in easily. I put a small bead of silicone around the ports and snugged the bolts down. Then removed the intake to make sure there was an even seal around the ports. Everything looked good so I torqued it down. I also put some silicone in the corners where the head and block meet.
Thanks for all your input.
Old 06-21-2003, 08:23 PM

I've never had a Fel-Pro valley pan come with the paper gaskets. They've always come with the metal pan and the Fel-Pro Brush Tack. The brush tack always provides a great seal, for me. I've never had a leaky valley pan with the Fel-Pro brush tack.