Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > General Chat > Street Warrior Forum - great street race stories.....

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 06-20-2003, 05:04 AM
Inactive User

Cool FWD rice should take a C-Body in the curves?

OK this is a bit of a departure from the regular kill stories here, but its fun and its Mopar so I thought I'd post it.

Theres a long stretch of road up in the hills, its fairly tight and its all up, down, left, right, up,down if you know what I mean. Nice scenery.

Lots of the bikers go up there to blast their Hondas and Yamahas and such to the limits so the cops have a helicopter to watch the speeders as well as a fair few camera traps.

I was just rolling along in my '68 Sport Fury enjoying the countryside when I spotted this Vauxhall Corsa in my mirror. This is kind of a Honda Civic type car over here, the ricers love them because they are cheap GM products with poor resale so they have plenty cash over for "styling"... Anyway this one was all pearl paint with extra wings and those 18" alloy wheels where the spokes stick out further than the rim because of the amount of inset needed to get 'em under the arches and a sun-strip that covers half the windshield

So we are on a straight and the limit is 60 but I was cruising about 55 or so and this guys right on my back bumper. he's just come down the long straight about 90 MPH. We are just approaching the twisty bit and 1/4 mile up ahead is a tight right hander. The Corsa can't get past because of oncoming traffic.

So I take the right hander fairly tight and quick, keep the speed up on the exit for a 1/8 mile straight and a real sharp left hander. the lanes here are only 7' wide so its precise driving needed in a big old car. I come out of the bend and I'm exactly on the speed limit by the straightaway, and the Corsa is flogging to catch me, but theres another curve and a uphill grade quite steep, so I just keep it at 60 the whole way and the rice boy just can't keep with me, he's lost his momentum in the bend and hasn;t got the Fury's torque to get him accelerating on the hill.

Theres a switchback and then its down hill again, I'm slower through the double than I thought but I'm going down hill, foot on the foot brake to keep to the limit and the little Corsa is thrashing down the hill about 80-90 mph to catch me.

So now I'm just laughing.

Rice boy is right on my bumper again as we head off the down hill and into another switchback which he takes quite well but still lost about a good car length on me, and then up hill again, me coming out of the switchback about 35 mph and quickly up to 60 on the hill, the Corsa struggles up the hill at about 30 - 35 and quickly looses about a 1/8 mile on me.

All the time I'm just doing 60, like the sign says officer

This went on for about 5 - 6 miles. Great fun. Just reeling him along behind, watching him playing catchup with the big boy

If it wasn;t for the speed limit I'd have walked him and left him dead. Its only that I was sticking to 60 max was why he could catch me on the down hills only!

Eventually he made a right and disappeared. Good job beacuse my brakes were getting quite hot and starting to fade out a bit on braking.

The part thats all wrong about this though is my Fury is stock. No G-machine handling, not even great tires, just 195/75x14 white walls. He wasn't just losing me on the up-hills - there were a fair few curves I beat him on.

I thought that these little FWD cars were supposed to be able to beat a big old RWD land yacht hollow on the twistys? :lol: :lol:

heck he got a shock,

So did I really

The funniest part is my Fury is a 318 2 barrel!
Old 06-27-2003, 11:06 PM
Inactive User

Biggrin

that is one of the best rice slamming stories i ever heard! a few days ago the same thing happened to me. Some guy in a black mercury tracer was on my tail going throughe a town. So when we exited town I stomped it and left him. A few minutes later at about 90 i see him gaingning again to I floor it and get up to about 110 and he's still back there n theres corners comming up. I could hear my front tires shreaking through both wide corners and exit abou 120 hold it there n turn into town. The worst part is this is in my primer black slant six 78 aspen. Which is anything but a handling or speed machine
Old 07-02-2003, 02:23 PM
Inactive User

Glad you liked it.

Can;t wait to get some decent dampers and tires on it...
Old 07-02-2003, 02:45 PM
Inactive User

This reminds me of the time I was driving home from work when I used to live out in the country. I had a 75 dodge Monaco, big tank, with cop car rims, and 235 truck tires all the way around. It was a 400 that I put an RV cam in, offy intake with a carter 635 on it and dual exhaust. It had 2.73 gears in the 9 1/4 in the back.

Anyway I'm cruising home at about 10k over the limit when I see an electric blue IROC Camaro in my mirror. He pulls out to pass me on a straight stretch and I think, no way chevy bozo, so I floor the old girl and he can't keep up so he pulls back in. A set of curves is up ahead so I back it down a bit and he thinks he's going to pass me in the curves. I punch it again, all four tires emitting this eary groan as I drift through the curve full throttle. Either the sound of the big block roaring or the sight of a 5500 pound car sliding through a curve scared him and he backed off again. Camaros are supposed to handle right? Anyway I wind it up to about 110 mph on the next straight and decide I've had enough. So I back down around 70 and the Camaro pulls up beside me, and buddy in the passenger seat hands me a can of beer out the window! I grabbed the can and nodded in appreciation, smacked it to the floor and left him sitting again. I never saw these guys again, but I am sure they both have some respect for Mopars now, even if they can't tell their chevy buddies about it.
Old 07-03-2003, 02:39 AM
Inactive User

wow! that is a very cool story! thought i'd show you a pic of my car[IMG] [/IMG]
Old 07-15-2003, 10:45 PM
Inactive User

400's got a bad rep for what reason I don't know, but you can really make them go. Nobody would give a 360 the time of day 10 years ago either.
Old 07-29-2003, 04:40 AM
Inactive User

Default 400's rock!

Theyre EXXCELENT derby car engines Our 66 charger has a doggy-ass 400 in it and its given shiny better condition better sounding cudas a good run speed wise even
Old 07-30-2003, 12:43 AM
Inactive User

LOL 400s don't suck

If you build it like a 383 you have a real monster. The point of this post was that a kid in a tricked out Honda ran my 89 Acclaim turbo down for it's dogeared looks. 224K will do that to a car. He ran his mouth so I told him I'd meet him on the street. He protested that his car was stock, 4 cyl and auto. I told him so was mine. He agreed, and I wasted, Wasted, WASTED his ricer, with tires smoking across the intersection (GOSH I wish I hadn't sold it now!) and when we got back to the Sonic, I showed him the worn out underhood area. He flipped out that the car was a turbo, and I told him that Honda wasn't the hot setup with a turbo, but you can buy a ChryCo turbo for little to nothing. Two weeks later, I saw him in a yellow Conquest. Closer, anyway!
Old 08-05-2003, 02:17 PM
Inactive User

Nice one, will convert those heathins yet!
Old 08-08-2003, 04:29 PM
Inactive User

Laugh Sily Rice boy Mopars are corner carvers!

76 Charger SE
Stock 360, MP dual plane intake, Carter style 600 cfm Edlebrock, Headers, Duals, 904 with shift kit, 8 1/4 2.76 gears.

My corner carving story starts when i was coming back from a friends late one night in my 76 Charger SE. The road I was on is a fairly twisty one lots of elevation changes and some hard fast corners. The speed limit along the road is 60 kph (Canada) or about 40mph you can easily do about 90-100 kph on the straitaways and about 75-85 in the fast corners but there are a few real sharp ones where you really have to slow.

So I was driving along at about 85 when a late 80's early 90's RX-7 comes up behind me. I wasnt really in the mood to let him pass me so I speed up to about 95 where I could, didnt know a 76 Charger could slide through a turn but it does a bit! He had the usual rice can muffler and the thing sounded like a sick camel.
and intercooler, gauges, and the usual "aero kit" hehe. He could out handle me going in most corners but I would toast him coming out of them. He passed me on one of the sharp corners because I wasnt going to go to ape$hit through it, I ownly had 215 70 15's on it on the factory Rallye's. But after it there was a long straight stretch. I passed him along there at about 100 and slowed down for the next corner. That was the only time he passed me. I pushed it a bit harder and actually gained some distance on him. I pulled off to get some go go juice and he followed me in out pops this 5 foot tall asian dude with shoe that have 6 inch tall soles and shiny white pants! He walks over looks at the rusty quarters and stock wheels and tires with a shocked look then he looks at me in disgust and says in broken english "wrong boot type I wear for shift" he then hops back in his camel mobile and peels off as im laughing my a$$ off. Hope ya enjoy.
Old 08-08-2003, 06:00 PM
Inactive User

If the real cops dont get him the fashion ones will
Old 08-15-2003, 10:12 AM
Inactive User

Never heard footwear blamed for getting spanked! Hahahaha! If they can do one thing right its come up with excuses!
Old 08-17-2003, 01:51 AM
Inactive User

Never heard that one before, but I love it.