Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Neon Club Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 10-31-2000, 12:02 AM
Inactive User

Unhappy

i have a sudden oil leak, it doesn't do it all the time, seems to be when i drive real fast. i replaced the valve cover gasket and that seemed to fix most of the problem but it still leaks a little. Does anyone have any advice ??
Old 10-31-2000, 02:01 AM

Arrow

Give us a little more info please.

What year, what engine, etc...

What area is it leaking from?

Most common area's on 2.0's is the cam sensor seal, and the infamous headgasket.

Later,
Jeff C.

------------------
"There's no such thing as too much cam, just not enough motor"
-David Freiburger

00 Dakota RC 2wd, IB 4.7 V8 5spd. 3.55's. Decal free, 255/60-15 Firestone's, loud pipe's, homemade intake and traction bars, removed overloads, and more to come...
Old 10-31-2000, 04:33 PM
Inactive User

95 neon 2.0 liter,leaking from top of engine. I first thought it was the valve cover gasket and i changed that and it took care of most of the leak but it still leaks a little and it seem to be when i drive 65 mph or higher
Old 11-01-2000, 06:04 AM

If it is leaking from the drivers side of the head area it is most likely the head gasket.

The only way to find out for sure is to clean the area, brake cleaner works great.
Take it out for a spin, then when you get home pull up on ramps, and crawl under the car. Look up at the backside of the engine (between the engine and firewall) for leakage. The best way is to use an oil dye and a special light to spot leaks.

We do no less than three 2.0-2.4 headgaskets per week at my dealership.
Let me know what you find out, maybe I can give you some idea's to save you some money.

Later,
Jeff C.

------------------
-David Freiburger

00 Dakota RC 2wd, IB 4.7 V8 5spd. 3.55's. Decal free, 255/60-15 Firestone's, loud pipe's, homemade intake and traction bars, removed overloads, and more to come...
Old 11-01-2000, 03:32 PM
Inactive User

Smile

thanks maniac i'll do that this weekend and get back to you !!
Old 11-05-2000, 05:39 AM
Inactive User

Thumbs down

HEY MANIAC i did what you said sure enough still leaking fron driver side top of the head ?? what now, do i need a head gasket ?? HELP any tips would be greatly appreciated
Old 11-05-2000, 06:02 AM

The first thing to check is the cam sensor seal, it sometimes makes it look like it's coming from the head.
If it's actually coming from the head, you have a couple of choices. Either buy the parts and install them yourself. (about $150.00 worth of parts)
Or you can call Chrysler customer service and try and get them to fix it for you. They will probably tell you to take it to your local dealership and have them inspect it to verify the leak.

I can give you a couple of good hints to help in getting help.

1st...be nice to them. You don't want to come off like an a$$hole. It won't help, and more than likely they will say "sorry, but your out of warranty".

2nd...let them know you are aware that they have had ALOT of headgasket problems with the Neon's, you want to be FIRM without being an a$$hole.

They will most likely offer to pay for parts, and you pay for labor. Don't go for it, the parts aren't anything compared to the labor. See if they will fix it for a $50.00, or $100.00 deductable. I have heard of quite a few people that have been able to get that deal.

They will give you a case number, which you take to the dealership.

Hope this help's...

Later,
Jeff C.

------------------
-David Freiburger

Old 11-10-2000, 04:23 PM
Inactive User

I recently bought a '95 Neon for my 16-year-old daughter. It has the 2.0 SOHC engine and automatic tranny. After parking it in the garage a few days ago, I noticed it had an oil leak. I looked under and saw oil coming from the driver side, rear of engine, dripping from the corner of oil pan. I took it in for service. They said I needed a head gasket and cam sensor seal. Cost me $768 to replace. When I got it home, I pulled it into the garage to check for leaks. Still leaking from the same area! Needless to say, I was upset. Took it back the next morning. They said that the new head gasket had caused the main seal to blow out! Cost me another $260 to replace! Anyone ever heard of this or was I bamboozled? If I was bamboozled, is there any recourse for me to recoup some of my expenditures? I also noticed that when they changed the head gasket, they had charged me for 5 qts of oil and an oil filter, but the oil filter looks like the same little Fram that I put on it the day I bought it.
Old 11-10-2000, 04:58 PM
Moparchat Barracuda Owner

attsr On the oil and filter issue I would say you were taken because it would be a mopar filter on there. I would say that you should take it to them and show them were thats the filter you put on long before they did any work and you want the money back for the oil and filter.

I have said this before and not too many people do this. Any parts that a mechanic replaces they have to let you have back most people dont want the parts back so usually they jsut throw them away, but I always ask for them. In this case the old filter and gasket and seal just to make sure they replaced it and if they can't produce it then they cant prove they replaced it and in such can not charge you for it.

Christian

by the way I dont think there is that big of a leak problem with the neons head gasket I think its always the cam seal. Thats the problem on mine and even before I changed the head gasket at 133,000 miles it wasn't leaking the cam position sensor seal was.

------------------
Http://ThunderRacing.Knudstrup.net/

68 'Cuda 383 Best of 8.363@83.78 in the 1/8mile which is a mid 12 with a 1.89 60ft
Formula S recreation not original but making like they should have at the factory) Working on adding EFI
69 'Cuda Race Parts Car
76 Duster 273 recent transplant
95 Neon 2.0 SOHC best of 16.96
84 Dodge Ram D50 transplanting 360
Old 11-12-2000, 04:44 PM

Mopar_Maniac
Do the 2000 & 2001 models have better head gaskets? What have you seen for problems on these cars ? I have a 2001 LX auto and would like to get a little more torque out of it, any suggestions.
Old 11-12-2000, 06:28 PM
Inactive User

Mid 99 the neons went to the steel layer gasket. This is DC's latest revision in the oil leak prob. Also the cam sensor O-ring has been revised about a year ago to a deeper design. If your Neon, Stratus, Breeze (2.0 most suseptable, 2.0 DOHC, 2.4 DOHC also prone to leaks) doesn't have the steel mls gasket I'd be getting one if you see any sign of oil leakage. Another thing is DC is aware of the prob and you may stand a good chance that they will cover it under warranty, may require a deductable depending on year and mileage, but definately worth a shot. If the dealer won't work with you, give the chrysler # a ring, it's in your owners manual.
Old 11-14-2000, 01:51 AM

Cool

As J-body said...they went to the new MLS gasket in 99.

As for more power, depends on how much you want to spend.
The most inexpensive thing is to install a IceMan cold air intake system.
Ported throttle body.
Free Flowing muffler.
Underdrive pulley.
Header.
Camshaft package.
Nitrous system.
Turbo Charger/Supercharger.

I think you get the idea, the faster you wanna go, the more you gotta spend.

Later,
Jeff C.

------------------
-David Freiburger

[This message has been edited by Mopar_Maniac (edited November 13, 2000).]
Old 11-17-2000, 06:25 AM
Inactive User

No one has answered my question yet. Does anyone know? Have you ever heard of a head gasket replacement on a 2.0 liter SOHC Neon (1995 model) causing the main seal to blow? The Neon has 89,000 miles on it. That's what the dealer told me about mine. After spending almost $800 on a new head gasket and cam sensor seal, it still leaked oil. They told me that the head gasket was indeed leaking, but that replacing it caused the main seal to blow. Cost me another $280 to get it replaced. Was I taken?
Old 11-17-2000, 02:44 PM
Inactive User

attsr, replacing the head gasket would in no way effect the rear main. However, if the gasket they removed was the fiber type one, not sure if you saw it, I would bet it was probably leaking. The amount of oil these things leak can get pretty bad, and it all ends up on the lower left part of the engine and on the bellhousing of the trans where a rear main seal would leak also appear. I have seen this happen a few times and now give a word of warning to the customer about the possibilities.
Old 11-19-2000, 02:22 AM
Inactive User

Thanks for the info, J-Body. I really hate to be taken, especially for that much money, but I guess there's really nothing I can do about it. I really think that the main seal was the problem to start with. It appeared to be leaking from exactly the same spot after they changed the head gasket and cam sensor seal. I did ask to see the blown head gasket, but the mechanic said that the trash man had already picked it up. If there's one thing that I've learned from this, it's to take my vehicles to a 5-Star dealer for service from now on. This dealer was not a 5-Star, and I've now heard from other people that the 5-Star dealers are much better in that they tend to have better service people as well as sales personnel.
Old 11-19-2000, 05:20 PM
Inactive User

I AM A MECHANIC AT A FIVE STAR DEALER IN ILLINOIS. HEAD GASKETS ARE A BIG PROBLEM ON THESE CARS, WHAT HAPPENS IS THE SEALING RING AROUND THE OIL PASSAGE BEETWEEN THE HEAD AND THE BLOCK BLOWS OUT THIS IS LOCATED ON THE LEFT REAR OF THE ENIGNE. THE NEW MULTILAYER STEEL GASKETS HAVE NOT GIVEN ME ANY TROUBLE UNLESS WHO EVER PUT THEM ON DID NOT PREP THE BLOCK RIGHT. I HAVE ALSO SEEN A LOT OF NEONS THAT HAVE REAR MAIN SEALS LEAKING, I THINK WHAT HAPPENS IS THAT MOST MECHANICS ASSUME TOO MUCH THAT IT IS THE HEAD GASKETS AND JUST GO AFTER IT WITHOUT REALLY CHECKING. I DON'T REALLY FEEL THAT U GOT TAKEN THOUGH BECAUSE SOONER OR LATER YOUR HEAD GAKETS WOULD HAVE PROBABLY STARTING LEAKING ANYWAY. NOW U HAVE THE STEEL GASKET AND SHOULD BE GOOD TO GO. BY THE WAY I SEE CHRYSLER WARRANTY A LOT OF THESE GASKETS BY THE PEOPLE CALLING THEM DIRECTLY I HAVE HEARD THE WILL USUALLY WARRANTY PARTS AND LOBOR IF MILAGE IS 70,000 OR LESS. ALSO IF U HAVE A 98 OR NEWER THEY ALREADY HAVE THE MULTILAYER STEEL HAVE NOT SEEN ANY PROBLEMS WITH THEM. LATER
Old 02-02-2001, 05:05 PM
Inactive User

Wink

My old '98 neon blew it's head gasket at only 19K. Luckily it was covered 100%. I'm now on my second '98 Neon (used w/ only 4500 miles - what a deal!) and worried about it going again. I hear it's a design defect solved by the new MLS gasket which made it's debut on most '99 models. Should only need to pay $100 and point out Chrysler NO: 09-05-98 - SUBJECT: Multi-Layer Steel (MLS) Head Gasket Installation Procedures. I heard some people can get out of even the $100 co-pay if you try hard enough.