Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 06-21-2003, 04:08 PM
Inactive User

Default Suspension HELP

Hi I am currently in the progress(slow progress) of building a big block Dakota and am trying to figure out what I am going to use for rear suspension. Originaly I was just going to use the leaves and a custom pinion snubber, but was also thinking about keeping the leaves and adding ladder bars. Another option was ladder bars with coilovers(no leaves) or a 4 link but Ive been reading alot about suspesion binding with these setups on the street. The last option was a 3 link setup. What do you guys think?? I am hoping to get low 12's possibly high elevens with this truck but It will mainly be street driven . Any suggestions??
Old 06-21-2003, 04:18 PM
Inactive User

I'm no suspension guru. I'd refer you to the post about SS springs and pinion angles where a bunch of the pros that work and design these things got together and put all of their info on the table (I even threw in a couple of bits of my drivel ). In my opinion, if you are going to big block a pick-up truck, you better be damn sure you can hook up because you've got jack sh!t over your rear. Put some weight down in the back to start, even if just to help balance the Center of Gravity. I'd refuse to spend the insane amouts of cash these companies are asking for for a four link setup. I've already drawn up prints and milled brackets for my own. I'm comfortable with leaves and a four link because I don't trust coil overs. What I would do, without knowing all of the details? Go four link. Forget about ladders. On a pickup, with the length and overall front end mass, you are going to have to extend your arms PRETTY far to get the Dead Lift Actuation you are looking to achieve to allow you to hook. With the four link, you can pull your chassis mounting point closer to the rear axle and still get the cross point from the two bars that you would have gotten from the ladder setup. Plus you've got a lot of room to play around with adjustability and setup. Get some heavy springs. I would advise against a mono spring but I don't have any real scientific grounds on it. I just don't see them as long lasting or strong. Just my opinion that, again, isn't backed by anything. Tighten up your leaf packet by adding braces at the ends of each leaf and pulling them together. Lower your front end a bit to help eliminate too much static weight transfer. Get yourself a Pinion Angle Finder and a proper set of leaf spring shims and get your pinion angle somewhere withing 3-5 degrees down. Again, after I post this reply, I'll go find the other thread and give you a link. It discussed pinion angle pretty thouroughly. You won't need a pinion snubber, nor will you have to worry about custom fabbing one. That four link will hold you rock steady. Uhm.. as I type this, I realize I've run out of things to say. But I'm 18 and am pretty good at flapping my jaw. I'm sure I'll come up with something else in a minute. Good luck
Old 06-21-2003, 08:29 PM
Inactive User

I am looking into moving around spring hangers in order to use ss spring on my brothers dakota. I think b body stuff will be closest length. Once i figure it out ill post the info.
Old 06-21-2003, 11:31 PM
Inactive User

You can buy the spring relocation kits and even buy hanging hardware, new, to support the SS springs. But pulling them off a wreck would be cheaper (a lot cheaper). Plus, if you want to really hook up, you should move your springs inboard, allowing for a much wider tire.
Old 06-24-2003, 07:01 PM
Inactive User

Do you guys think that SS leaves and a pinion snubber would work to get this thing gripped up?? How will affect the handling as this will also be a street truck and I want it to handle decently. I will be adding a larger front and a rear swaybar for the street but it will be removed at the track. Any help would be appreciated .
Old 06-24-2003, 08:42 PM
Inactive User

Theres no way SS leafs and a snubber will keep your tires on the ground.

My truck is only about 300lbs heavier than yours, with a 400 that makes about 350 hp. I have unbelievable traction problems(even with sure grip and 295 tires on 10" wheels) and I only see low 15's so far.

You will need 600 hp to get the times your talking about, and you won't hook up 600 hp with ss leafs and a snubber.

I'm in the process of fabbing a ladderbar setup for my truck(with the leafs). Hopefully it will add what I need, to get something that resembles traction.

I don't know what to suggest to you, but I will let you know if the ladderbars help with my situation. I may know by friday night.
Old 06-24-2003, 10:11 PM
Inactive User

Unfortunately, dave is right. I didn't read your initial posts that you were hoping for 12s out of a mid size daily driven pickup. race vehicle only would be concidered a possibility, but a difficult one at that. Due to centrifugal force, when you start your wheels moving, they want to move outward, away from the hub. With as little weight as you are talking about over your ass-end, those tires will burn all day. As far as suggestions go, I'm still saying 4-link it. Worst comes to worst, even if you don't hook and break 12s, you still will know you've got everything you need to run fast. To answer your second question, a set of stiffer springs and a pinion snubber will not get you hooked with a 700 +/- horsepower engine.