Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 06-24-2003, 05:27 AM
Inactive User

Default DUI ignition

Just curious if anyone out there has had any experience with the davis unified ignition for small blocks?
Old 06-24-2003, 06:03 AM
Inactive User

Thumbs down D.U.I. not for me

that ignition was a real horror story for me. for what they charge you could buy a MSD dist. & a MSD 6al box, that would blow that system away. you can't use a regular 14" aircleaner with DUI it won't clear the HEI, so that's more money to be spent. you have to buy either new HEI terminals for your ignition wires or a new set of wires.
Old 06-24-2003, 06:27 AM
Inactive User

i hit the wrong button, i'm not finished complaining. i bought a DUI for my cuda'340 last spring, saw magazine articles, thought it would be cool. unit arrived, i installed correctly, car wouldn't start. cranked the hell out of it , playing with timing and whatnot, just no spark, wound up killing my starter. no biggie , put in new mini starter wanted to anyway. i sent unit back to DUI, they sent it back 3 weeks later!! they said nothing was wrong with it i must have installed it wrong, yeah right. i reinstalled w/new plugs , car started , it ran ok, but i didn't see any improvement in idle quality, throttle responce, or anything. but i was happy the car was running and i was driving it. so the car sat for 2 weeks , cause i was busy with work and family and didn't get a chance to play with my toy. i went to drive it around to gain confidence in the reliability of the ignition, yeah right. came back home after a 20 min. drive in the neighborhood, parked in front of my house, when i went to put car in garage it wouldn't start, no spark again, man was i flippin'out. that was it i returned the unit again to DUI and demanded a refund, and fortunately they complied. this piece of crap kept my car out of commission for well over a month. i went back to my tach drive mopar dist. and bought a black mopar MSD 6al. car starts faster than ever w/MSD, and big improvements in idle quality and throttle responce. maybe i got a lemmon from DUI, i don't know but i can never recommend it to anyone, stay away from it, far away.
Old 06-24-2003, 08:05 AM
Inactive User

Thaks for the info.ThinkI'll stay with the mopar dist for now.