Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 06-25-2003, 01:40 AM
Inactive User

Angry Ignition systems and ACCEL

I have a 1968 dodge charger with a 440. One day I was driving the charger and it really hauled ass (2 break stands :P). I then drove home and put the car away for the night. The next day she started up and ran great. So seeing it was running well, i drove it to work. It finally was my break and i felt like going out to eat, i stopped off and then started the car up. It sound find and then it started to tick alot. I pulled over and thought she was low on oil, so i put oil in and started her up. Still a tick. So i started driving down the street and all of a sudden i hear a huge bang ( it must have back fired), all horsepower was gone for a couple of seconds. Then i turned the corner and it came half way back. She was sputturing and had nothing. Then I got it home and recently i have rebuilt the mopar distributor. I started her up and it dosen't even idle. It has zero power nothing. I have a brand new orange mopar box, new accel super stock coil, accel wires, and new champion plugs. I took the wire from the coil to the cap and check the resistance. Those stupid wires have more resistance than the stock wires. I'm trying to wonder if the car is getting weak spark or any spark at all. She barley runs at all. I think it may be the coil is shot, but its basically brand new. I think Accel is the crappiest brand ever. I'm reallly mad so i'm going 100% MSD. If you think you have an explination for my sick 440 please help. thanks!
Old 06-25-2003, 03:19 AM
Inactive User

Idea

huh friend has an accel super coil that works great even though it's a ford, but anyway he went through several super coils before he checked the resistor going TO the coil. Before this was replaced he burned up a coil a week. They were covered under warranty so it wasn't a super big deal but still might check that out or MSD might not even solve the problem they don't go bad to often but that fixed part of his ignition problem. Rest was solved when he went to electronic . Just a thought. I'm with you though when the ignition comes up for an upgrade after a few other things think that MSD will get my business just because their stuff looks better and I haven't heard anything bad about them yet!
Old 06-25-2003, 10:43 AM
This account disabled due to bad email address!

Make sure your endgap between the reluctor and pickup in the distributor are set properly, thinking around .010 will do it. You may have got it close when putting it togather and the reluctor is hitting the pickup, once wore down it will miss and carry on like your talking about. Also make sure that the resistor isnt craked overworking the coil, which should be cool, not hot to the touch. Check the distributor, should see metal shavings in it. Check the wiring again, it may be a bad orange Box, this happens. Look here for wiring diagams.

http://www.bigblockdart.com/wiring/ignition.htm
Old 06-25-2003, 11:42 AM
Banned

It's most likely the orange box. They go out often. Nothing wrong with accel. I have a set of wires on my 4x4 and one of my race cars with a msd7al2. With no problems. I'd swap out the box or just go msd it's better any ways.