Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 12-26-1999, 07:28 PM
Inactive User

I was wondering if any one has had any success tunnel ramming a 360 for the street. I plan on using a dual tunnel ram c/w twin 425's , headers, ported and polished heads,030 over, headers, 3.70 gears, auto, Crane 288/292 adv. 458/465 lift, MSD 6, 9.5-1 compression. All this in a fairly heavy car that will only see cruise night and weekend tours. (55 Dodge). Am I dreaming with this combo, or what would I need to change to make it work ,if it is feasible?
Old 12-26-1999, 08:27 PM
Inactive User

Wink

The biggest mistake that Chebby guys make when "tunnel ramming" a small block is that they think that they're 350 can handle two 600's without bogging. Your 425's should run decently well, but I would go one step further and suggest running a pair of Holley 390's. This is because if you were running a single carb application few intake/cam combo will EVER call for more than 750 CFM's. The two 390's wil put the CFM's to around the size of one 750 Double pumper (the size carb recommended for most race smallblock apps). I am really unfamiliar with Mopars with tunnel rams, but you could get a better idea for the combo from the intake manufacturer or a cam company. You should be able to get good numbers for carbs and cam choices (I personally think your cam is too little).

If your after performance and not looks, just about everybody recommends the Edelbrock Victor Intake for race and high perf applications (I myself have one under my Christmas Tree right now).
Old 12-26-1999, 11:29 PM
Inactive User

Sounds cool!! what body style is your 55? I think too your cam is too small to warrant a dual four setup but why not run the T.R. with a single four?That way you have form and function.Who makes 425cfm carbs? If your comparing cfm's remember that holley and edelbrock/carter use different flow pressures to determine cfm, for instance a 750 edelbrock is equal to 580 cfm at the holley pressure.Ideally your 360 can handle a 750 vac sec holley,the bright zinc finish they now offer sitting on a tunnelram looks pretty good to me.Just dont get sucked in to the "all show and no go" type of gm thinking.....PRO....
Old 12-29-1999, 04:56 PM
Inactive User

Pro...My 55 is actually a 55 plymouth Savoy with a 55 Dodge Royal front end. It is nosed and decked with a 4" chop and lowered 2".It has been registered as a Dodge, but I really do'nt know how they did that.I like your idea of a single carb setup,but I thought perhaps the challenge of a dual carb might be worth a try.(I'm a sucker for punishment! lol)I may just wimp out and go with a Holley street dominator that I have laying around here, if the T.R. proves to be a pain. What do you think? I'm looking for a little show,but alot more go!
Old 12-29-1999, 11:23 PM
Inactive User

Hey Sanders: I have a Offenhauser tunnel ram for an A-engine. It is a single carb top and I would be interested in selling it. I will take $165 + shipping, if you are interested. E-mail me: blake.blewitt@valleylab.com