Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Diesel & Turbo Diesel Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 07-04-2003, 04:26 PM
Inactive User

Default Turbo question

On my '99 Ram Diesel, some one told me that I could adjust the wastegate to make higher boost. Is that true? If so, how high could the boost go without hurting the engine. I'm not planning to do any upgrades. How could I put in a boost gauge?
Old 07-04-2003, 08:25 PM
Inactive User

On the 99 and newer trucks, just adjusting the waste gate will set a code , you will need a boost fooler or a power box.
The Cummins will stand a lot of boost, some guys see it over 100!!
The first thing to ask is, what will the tranny stand?
Try reading over at the TDR site for info and if you want a good gauge try Genosgarage.
Old 07-05-2003, 11:30 PM
Inactive User

Walt..
Boost may be changed at turbo,BUT,without the addition of a fueling and timing box it will set a code as stated.

You could buy a small Box from one of the major manufacturers which will help spool it better and make it move the way you want without setting a code.Its the best way for you to do it.You will not need a big comp style box just something which will add some fueling and timing to make you smile as you whack the pedal.

One misconception fox has made here is boost totals.I have seen stock trucks with boxes alone hit at or near 40lbs of boost.Once your over that the HX-35 becomes inefficent and will cost HP.Thats when a hybrid turbo is needed and I have seen some of those singles whip up to 75lbs.Keep in mind a stock headgasket will only handle about 50lbs sustained for a little bit and pushing the limit will pop its cork.There a few guys who are o-ringed and twins which hit 85-100 easily and couple of trucks which use triples and splat 200+lbs.

If I can be of assistence let me know.......BRM
Old 07-06-2003, 02:04 PM
Inactive User

How much would one of those boxes cost and where would I get one? I can't afford to spend much 'cause it isn't my truck and I need to spend my money on my 'Cuda. I'm trying to do something nice for my dad.
Old 07-10-2003, 12:48 AM
Inactive User

Walter..

Sorry for the delay I was out of town getting some work done to the truck for the Chrysler show at Carlisle this weekend.One of the best places to call is Enterprise Engine located in Thornville,OH.Their knowledge of thse trucks is very deep and their customer service is second to no one.I'll add you a link at the bottom to their website,call them they will ship what ever you want via UPS straight to you.....BRM

www.enterpriseengine.com