Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 07-07-2003, 02:34 PM
Inactive User

Question Auto Tranny swap to a 4 speed Questions

A couple of questions about the trannies, first off the tranny in my truck is going i don't have 3rd or second not sure which on is going but i think it is second anyway how hard is it to change from auto to a 4 speed i know i have to find the linkage and the clutch pedal and all the other good stuff,anyway i have a backup tranny that needs rebuilt but plus the auto in the truck now personally i am a 4 speed man would rather have a clutch than an auto. The motor in the truck is a 440 and also have a backup 440, which 4speed tranny's would bolt up to a 1973 440 motor and a 1975 440 motor the 73 is in the truck now and i am sure that the bellhousing for both years is the same, anyway i am not sure if i am going to do it , just want some input about the swap any help would be great. Thanks mudfleapa (matt)
Old 07-07-2003, 03:25 PM
This account disabled due to bad email address!

That will be a tough one. You best bet is to find a Van or truck with a small block and get all the stuff from it. The early 80's stuff shouldnt be hard to find, but is a OD tranny. This will give you greater gas milage and will do just fine in a daily driver. You just need the Big bell housing for it, and the van drive shaft is the same, you should use you existing cross member. Thing is they didnt make to many 4 speed trucks, they were mostly Low bulldog type gears, or OD trannys. I would prefer the OD over the Lower geared one.
Old 07-07-2003, 10:43 PM
Inactive User

The A-833 will bolt to any of the alum or cast 4-speed bell housings, the OD unit being the exception. It has a larger front bearing retainer OD and requires a larger opening (machinist fixable) than the reg A-833. Your problem will be the crankshaft is not drilled for a manual tranny. This can be remedied by shortening the snout on the tranny and using the aftermarket bearing setup that sits in the auto recess of the crank. If you're talking a 4-speed with integral shifter (truck type) it requires a different flywheel, starter, bellhousing, and possibly other items.
Old 07-08-2003, 12:05 AM
Inactive User

Smile

I know it was going to be difficult was just wanting to know how easy or hard it would be to do it like i said before i have another auto tranny that i can have rebuilt to put in and have the one in the truck rebuilt also or wait till the other one goes and have that rebuilt,it would be cheaper and easier to just make do with what i have now, but no harm in asking, anyway hope to get some more input i am going to keep my options open. Both trannys are 727's and the motor in the truck now is pretty stock except for intake and holley carb so don't know what i may do but i will keep you all posted on what i do. Thanks mudfleapa (matt)