Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 07-07-2003, 03:29 PM
This account disabled due to bad email address!

Arrow Too Hot under the Hood Ideas?

I need some help lowering the temp on my 73 Duster from the awfull heat that is traped. Im wanting low buck cheap ideas to help. I will be inversting in a roll of 50ft exhaust header wrap. So this I know will help. Im think a fresh air scoop like the old SS ones. Is there anything else i can do Like modify the rad support or shim the back of the hood up? Like I said I dont want $300 worth of stuff, Im not to scared to pull the Saw-Saw out and cut some holes in the support.
Old 07-07-2003, 03:40 PM
Inactive User

I would try adjusting the back of the hood up, even slotting the holes in the bracket.
Old 07-07-2003, 07:48 PM
Inactive User

Id stay away from the header wrap. It has a bad habbit of rusting out pipes fast.
Old 07-07-2003, 08:54 PM
Inactive User

Default Thermostat?

Do you know what type of thermostat you have?
Old 07-07-2003, 09:34 PM
Inactive User

i bought header wrap for the same reasons than asked about it. i had 100 guys tell me not to use it and i sent it back. it is awfull hot under me hood too. i took the insulation under the hood off and opened up the scoops in my challenger hood but it still seems very hot. i have trouble getting it started after a drive on a hot day and i think its vapor lock but stumped.
Old 07-08-2003, 01:55 PM
Inactive User

The radiator support needs to be airtight to force all the air at the front to go through the rad for cooling purposes. Do the cutting on the inner fenders each side of the shock tower, it will help in 2 ways. It will allow air to flow and will cut down or reflected heat.
Old 07-08-2003, 02:24 PM
Inactive User

Air has to go through the rad to cool the engine and that air is hot the hot air has to leave the confines of the engine compartment too keep from having a big heat sink. Just open the hood and you will belooking in the direction of air flow. See what you can open up left and right, above and below to increase air flow. Put more air in and more air out, Heat doesnt rise, heat moves to a source of cold
Old 07-08-2003, 06:01 PM
Inactive User

My engine compartment had some tar paper type stuff attached to the wheel well and the frame. I removed that when I put the headers on and it seems to keep cool enough.
My friend had an interesting experience with header wrap. His water pump bearing went out and antifreeze splashed on the headers 'n soaked into the wrap, then ignited. Luckily enough, he carried an extinguisher in the cab. I never knew that antifreeze was flammable... God-awful stink from the wrap, too.
Old 07-09-2003, 09:08 AM
Inactive User

HMMMMM, I wonder what a blown valve cover gasket or a cracked tranny line could do with header wrap? Yet another reason not to use it. Header Flambe anyone?
Old 07-09-2003, 09:24 AM
Inactive User

Default Quick question

I saw there appears to be reasons not to use header wrap, what about this...?

Same problems? I was going to use it on my headers due to the same reasons mentioned here (heat under hood).
Old 07-09-2003, 12:23 PM
Inactive User

I took a 2 5/8 hole saw and swiss cheesed my inner fender wells for wieght reduction and cooling. kinda gives it that nostalgia dragster look too. I used a 1" holesaw on the radiator core support. Was this a bad idea? would it run cooler if I blocked them off again ?
I wonder if you ran a 4" duct from under the bumper into the engine compartment, would that help temps any? Would there be any problem with trapped ir or pressure under the hood ?
probably a stupid question, but just thinkin out loud.
Old 07-09-2003, 12:59 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally posted by ajmopar
I would try adjusting the back of the hood up, even slotting the holes in the bracket.
Thats a great tip and works. There is sometimes a weater stripping piece at the back of the hood. You can remove that as well.

Ceramic coated heaters works but ???
Old 07-09-2003, 01:32 PM
Inactive User

Default Re: Quick question

Quote:
Originally posted by Bagherra
I saw there appears to be reasons not to use header wrap, what about this...?

Same problems? I was going to use it on my headers due to the same reasons mentioned here (heat under hood).
I'd think it'd work the same as header wrap, just not the whole length of the pipe. I don't get the part about high velocity, though.
Old 07-10-2003, 09:37 AM
Inactive User

Supposedly, the higher velocity is due to the fact that hotter air will flow faster than cooler air.
Old 07-10-2003, 09:42 AM
Inactive User

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally posted by Ron Henry
I'd think it'd work the same as header wrap, just not the whole length of the pipe. I don't get the part about high velocity, though.
Thanks for the info!

The material seemed a little different than the header wrap I've seen, so I was hoping it would not burn up like some people have mentioned with the wrap in this thread.
Old 07-10-2003, 11:13 PM
Inactive User

The real problem, as I understand it, from header wrap is that it will hold in moisture and cause the headers to rust real quick.
Old 07-11-2003, 01:37 PM
Inactive User

Default headers coating?

It's my understanding that header coatings can reduce underhood temperatures dramatically.

See http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles/80038/index.html
Old 07-11-2003, 05:05 PM
Inactive User

look into http://www.jet-hot.com/ I know you said low-dollar, but by the time you spend 50$ on header wrap and have to buy a new set every few years, they'll take the headers you have and make em cooler, stronger, and prettier.
Old 07-11-2003, 09:45 PM
This account disabled due to bad email address!

If I cared much how they looked, i would have optioned for the nickel plating when I purchased them from Schumacher for $80 more, i wouldnt waste my time and money taking them off, shipping them, spending probably $100 and then buy new gaskets. Just to look good, I really dont think the coatings will make that much diff on the temp under the hood. I know the header wrap does, My friends 440 has kit and when running you can lay your hand on them. I dont see a paint coating a few .001 thick could hold heat in. If I wanted a good header wrap, I would get some asbestos at work and make my own, that stuff insulates better than anything they have out now. But could make you

I guess the only real option is to cut the inner fenders and add a hood scoop!
Old 07-11-2003, 10:40 PM
Inactive User

Would it be feasable to do some tinwork and bend up a set of poor man's shrouds to direct airflow from under the car, over and between the pipes, then exit behind the tire/under the cabin? I'm not much of a metalworker, but it seems like it would be less expensive than coatings, and not as damaging as wraps. I don't think it would add all that much weight.
Just a thought...
Old 07-12-2003, 12:07 AM
Inactive User

sound slike you want to cut your fenderwells and add a hood scoop! Go for it! But don't discount the Jet Hot guys. They do some pretty amazing stuff, and it's just a bit thicker than paint (sarcasm). They coat them inside and out and they've proven the stuff to be useful over and over again. Why don't racing teams use header wrap? Why do they use Jet Hot?
Old 07-12-2003, 01:01 AM
Inactive User

I had a teacher that was an ex Winston cup crew chief. He swore by Jet-hot. He said if he wanted to put an engine to the max, he would have the headers jet-hotted and extrude honed. He said it was good for a couple extra on the wheel dyno. That kind of thing is crucial in racing like Winston cup where everything has to be at max to compete, and he said it was worth it for an application like that.
Old 07-12-2003, 01:31 AM
Banned

We run Hookers or Hedmans and remove all of there baked on paint. Rough them up and coat them ourselfs using an air brush. It can not go on too thick or it will flake off. Then all headers are wrapped. Wrapps do not hold anynoisture nor do they cause rust. I have a favorite set I keep for one of my cars that I run at a certain track. They are almost 10 years old now and are still wrapped up. The wrap really helps. I've blistered skin just barely touching a bare header. You can actually touch the wrapped ones on purpose and they barely feel warm. Of course I would not recomend trying to hold them.