Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 07-16-2003, 02:51 PM
Inactive User

Default Bad Performance

I have an 89 318 in an old Trailduster. I added a high rise manifold, spacer & basic 600cfm vac sec Holley. It doesn't seem to kick in the secondaries. The throttle cable loops once around and then hooks to the carb. I guess my question is could this too long cable be hurting the performance factor? Throttle response is minimal at best. Is there an aftermarket cable out there that would be shorter? Thanks
Old 07-16-2003, 03:00 PM
Inactive User

i guess i have a similar problem, my wifes got an 85 ramcharger that I put on an edlebrock manifold and 600 edlebrock, I cant get it to downshift. I did all the usual usual 2 to 4 bbl conversion extension work and adjustment. Im trying a lokar cable if i cant get it right soon. its not like this is new to me, or i'm not familiar with the usual problems, but im done messing around with this one.
hope you have more luck that me
Old 07-16-2003, 04:53 PM
This account disabled due to bad email address!

Hey 68 Sat
Try using a paper clip or Bobby pin pushed up tight against the bottom of the vacum pod on the 2nd's rod leading to the throttle plate, then take it for a spin open it up, that way when the vacum pulles the shaft up into the pod you will see how much if any they are opening, cause it will be slide down on thw shaft. It may be too heavy of a spring, common in big heavy trucks and small cube motors. Get the quick change housing offerd through Holley, svae you some trouble of disassemble when changing springs, cause you take all the choke hardware off then the vacum pod, just to change that little spring, also the diaphrams tend to rip easy, which would result in none functioning 2nd's. I think its $20 or os, and the spring kit is about the same,which comes as diff stiffness and size springs, (all it does is the vacum overcomes the tension of the spring) to open them up, obvious that a lighter spring will open faster, keep going lighter springs untill it bogs from a dead stop in gear, then go up one size in stiffness. Aso NOTE THAT THE 2ND's WILL NOT OPEN BY WINGING THE ENGINE IN THE DRIVEWAY IN PARK OR NUETRAL!!! NOTE THAT THE 2ND's WILL NOT OPEN BY WINGING THE ENGINE IN THE DRIVEWAY IN PARK OR NUETRAL!!!

Also never use a screw to open the 2nd's in the linkage as you may have seen or been told, never do this, the engine can become lean and cause failure. First detrmine if there opening at all by the paper clip test, then let us know, we can help you fine tune that thing for sure. I hope its not a single plane intake like a Torker II or Dominator, give us some more specs on the car, like camshaft size, type of intake, timing (both intial & total),compression and other things, like gearing and converter size, the more we know the more we can help.