Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 07-20-2003, 10:08 PM
Inactive User

Default holley accel pump

started the Charger to take it to the exhaust and alignment shop and the rear carb (sixpak) float was set way to high (I wonder who did that) and fuel was pouring out every hole in the carb. Brought that float down and noticed that the center carb was pouring fuel out of the accelerator pump housing. Didn't check the float as the gas was rolling down the edge of the valve covers towards the hot headers by then..........
I took the accelerator pump off thinking I would find the gasket or 2 rubber pieces torn up but they look ok. Should I replace them anyway or is the center carb float probably the culprit?? Can a high float cause this leakage ?? Please don't let me go up in flames, I've got 4 weeks before I switch houses.........
Old 07-20-2003, 10:26 PM
Inactive User

Replace the pump diaphram. A high float setting won't cause the pump to leak.
Old 07-20-2003, 11:10 PM
Inactive User

i read somewhere this advise that i should have listened to: make fuel lines out of rubber hoses while setting up your sixpack so you dont have to mess with the steel fuel lines all the time. every time i changed something or tinkered with one carb, another would develope a leak. in the past 3 months i have changed acc pump,squirters, vac springs, power valves, jets, gaskets, i pulled out the plugs off the metering screws on the outboards to adjust to give me 6 way idle metering adjustment. every time you want to change something you have to pull a carb off, so if you think you may be making any changes take the advise i didnt and save yourself alot of trouble.
Old 07-20-2003, 11:15 PM
Inactive User

mauve66
i just reread your post and was wondering, what do you mean when you say, you thought that it might be the gasket or two rubber pieces torn up? are you talking about the fuel bowl? there is just a rubber diaphram in the acc pump housing.
Old 07-22-2003, 12:11 AM
Inactive User

there are 2 rubber pieces in the accel pump, the big black one that the spring sits in and the little red piece that sets in the bottom of the carb. Both seem fine, no tears or any thing
Old 07-22-2003, 11:47 PM
Inactive User

mauve, all i could tell you is that all my carbs leaked at one time or another and i would take it off, replace the gasket or whatever and put it back together. then something else would start leaking.go figure.
Old 07-23-2003, 01:10 PM
Inactive User

mauve: The black rubber thing you refered to is the accelerator pump diaphram. The red thing is a one way valve that allows fuel to flow into the accel. pump chamber when the diaphram retracts (closing throttle) but prevents fuel from being pushed back into the bowl when the diaphram moves up (opening throttle). It's possible that the spring could have slipped between the diaphram and the pump cover during assembly. This would cause a leak even though the diaphram was O.K. Using flexible fuel lines with a Six Pack IS a good idea because, as was stated, it is much easier to remove one carb at a time.