Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 07-22-2003, 12:02 AM
Inactive User

Default lifter noise on '73 Challenger 360

I'm having some trouble getting new lifters/cam/adjustable rockers to quiet down. I've tried every adjustment within spec. - 1/2 turn past 0 preload, 1 turn etc. I'm convinced it's an oiling issue because we ran the car with no valve covers for over 1/2 hour. Oil is visible running out of each rocker arm's oiling hole (on top). However, there was no splashing or huge mess I've read about at any rpm (up to about 3000). A new oil pump pickup was recently installed and the oil and filter are new (full). A mechanical guage reported acceptable pressure at hot idle (so my father says), and the oil light stays off. I'd like to run the car on the highway for sustaned high rpm oiling but was hoping you guys could help before I break anything (like the new cam). My dad says anything over 15 lbs at hot idle is fine but my 340 Demon registers 40 hot. What do you guys think? Blocked oil passage ways? Mis-installed pickup? Bad oil filter? This is my 18 year old brother's car and we're all starting to get pretty frustrated. Any insight is appreciated. Thanks.
Old 07-22-2003, 01:32 AM

How many miles are there on the block? Did you rebuild the motor or are you putting the cam in a used engine? Reason I ask is sometimes on a high mileage block you can get a lot of wear around the lifter holes and sometimes these need bushed to prevent excessive oil leak off and slop.
Your oil pressure seems normal enough. Did you soak the lifters in oil before installation? Its possible you may have some air trapped that hasn't bled out yet, if you didn't. Sometimes you got to run a motor for a bit before the lifters all quiet down, that is, if there is nothing else wrong, like worn rockers , rocker tips or pushrods.
Old 07-22-2003, 06:38 PM
This account disabled due to bad email address!

What Kind of cam and lifters are they? Some are a bear to get quit, it dont matter if you have 60 PSI hot too. I wouldnt like 15 psi hot at all, that telles me there is excessive clearances and tolerances in the engine. It wouldnt matter if it has 100,000 miles on it if the clearances are right you should have at least 25-35 psi at idle hot. I dont think the idiot lite comes on untill like 5 psi has been reached the the switch closes and truns the circuit and light on. You need to install a mech oil pressure gage, even if temprary.
Old 08-06-2003, 01:34 AM
Inactive User

This is the little brother. The engine is not rebuilt and has around 70,000 miles. I installed a crane cam energizer and lifter kit (hydraulic). The specs are very mild. I forget the duration but the lift is .454. Yes I did soak the lifters (over night) and lubed them up before installation. I ran the engine at 2,000 rpms for 15 min. LOTS OF NOISE.
I read in another post that someone else was having the same problem so he removed the rocker shaft and manually pumped the lifter with the p-rod.
WHEN I RUN THE ENGINE WITH NO VALVE COVERS SHOULDN'T I HAVE OIL ALL OVER THE WINDSHIELD AND HOOD.Or at least a decent mess to clean?
I have driven the car several times. I tried to take it for a beat run to pump up the lifters but all it wants to do is stall out. I got it up to 55 for about a minute but still noisy.
WHAT DO I do?????????
Old 08-06-2003, 08:27 PM
This account disabled due to bad email address!

No there should be no oil shooting everywere. Thats how Chevy's are. The oil is distributed from under each rocker arm below the rocker shaft and just above the rocker, so it cant squirt everwere! The Crane Chevy grind cam maybe the problem. Also note that the rocker arms have to be on the correct side. They are left and right handed rocker arms. If mixed up they will cause lots of noise, also if the rocker shafts are upside down this could also be the problem, a very bad problem. Double check to make sure the rocker arms are correctly sided. The the rocker tips MUST be centered over the valve tip. Make sure the oil holes are facing down on the shafts. If this doesnt help, pull that chevy cam out and get a new cam made for Mopars. I have seen many new engines that tick due to these new High tech grinds, available from Comps and Crane.
Old 08-06-2003, 09:21 PM

Here is a thread (from the archives) that should help.

http://www.moparchat.com/forums/show...threadid=71947
Old 08-08-2003, 08:44 AM
Inactive User

Did you install new valve springs.
Crane's springs have a little larger O.D. & can
contact the underside of the rocker, causing a noise
that could be mistaken for a lifter noise.
Fix; use cranes retainers but still check for clearance.
I have a similar crane cam in my engine & it runs quietly.

Another suggestion, if all else fails check the cam bearings.
If for some reason they are worn out, you could have low oil
pressure to the lifters.(If there was no noise before you changed the cam then this is probably not an issue.)