Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > General Chat > Street Warrior Forum - great street race stories.....

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 07-23-2003, 06:29 PM
Inactive User

Post 69 Road Runner Vs. 2000 T/A

I thought you guys might like to hear this one. I own the 2000 WS6 Trans Am 6 speed set up for street action. I've done my work to it to the tune of 430 hp and 475 ft lbs tq. at the rear wheels (not crank). There is no roll bar in it and the interior is completely stock. I use the stock tachometer with a hidden shift light in the A pillar vent.

I always hang out at the same spot looking for action. This was a domestic only V8 rear drive hang out when I started there at the tender age of 15. Now its heavily populated with rice. The V8s are still there just highly out numbered.

This 69 RR I saw off and on parked in the lot, it had no hood. It was in a garage mechanic type shape. Faded orange paint some wear in the interior and really never clean but not terribly dirty. It had a 426 hemi that looked in the same shape as the car. It was a 4 speed with no roll cage. I had never seen a 426 hemi car in this kind of shape. It looked weathered.

I never talked to the guy cause I never saw him around his car. He was never at the street races, he just hung out in the lot.

One night I followed him out of the lot and over to a road that we ran on time to time. Him going to this street meant it was on. I knew he knew why I was following him.

I came up along side him cut outs open. I dropped to second gear at about 50mph and he jumped on it. We both came out even me fighting for traction for a few feet (both on street tires). I grab 3rd, chirp and look over to see him looking at me. We are dead even! The shift light hits me like the morning sun and I grab 4th. Look over and we are still dead even. He looks as bewildered as me. We shut down at about 120 dead even.

We putter up the road and pull in a nearby gas station. He puts the petrol stick in his ride and walks over with his passenger to say hi.

First thing he says is what the hell have you done to this. I come back with that thing rolls a lot faster than it looks. He even had a passenger and ran with the windows down!

His story is the 69RR was a 383 car. He found this hemi and put it in. He didn't go into specifics on the engine but all the outside hardware looked stock down to the cast iron manifolds! 4:11s out back.

I told him the numbers I laid on the dyno to the rear wheels. That seem to put his mind at ease but not mine. How the hell did he just do that??

I haven't caught him at the local track in full race trim yet but like me he probably doesn't frequent it to often without a roll cage. I get booted with my mid 11 runs at 120

Pictures of some of my junk.
http://community.webshots.com/user/kevsws6/
Old 07-24-2003, 06:18 PM
Inactive User

Gimme a friggin break!! You are askin how a Hemi did that?? ...LOL The head of the street Hemi production team readily acknowledged that most made around 500hp from the factory. That was with better gas and brand new parts. But even a well tuned but old Hemi is gonna make allot of HP and more TQ than most people can comprehend. From either perspective the other guy was really doin good. You held with a HEMI he Ran with a new hotrod.
Old 07-24-2003, 08:06 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally posted by GUAM_SS/T
Gimme a friggin break!! You are askin how a Hemi did that?? ...LOL The head of the street Hemi production team readily acknowledged that most made around 500hp from the factory. That was with better gas and brand new parts. But even a well tuned but old Hemi is gonna make allot of HP and more TQ than most people can comprehend. From either perspective the other guy was really doin good. You held with a HEMI he Ran with a new hotrod.

I must say he did a good job. It looks ruff and hauls a**. Sleeper, if a Hemi can be that. I roast big blocks often enough. I've never seen a stock looking and sounding Hemi trap 120!
Old 07-25-2003, 12:31 AM
Inactive User

When's the last time you saw a stock looking HEMI get really beat on and driven hard?? Most HEMI owners baby them.
Old 07-25-2003, 11:49 AM
Inactive User

Quote:
When's the last time you saw a stock looking HEMI get really beat on and driven hard?? Most HEMI owners baby them.
This is true, But I do have one on video that looks like he just got done with a restoration job. It was built with headers and one big ass lumpy cam running through header mufflers. I cant remember his times but I think he was in the high 10's or low 11's. I'll have to watch the video to see if I can here the time.

We run at a ghetto track with no timing board and most times the announcer doesn't call the times.

If your interested in the video I'll post it for you. I think he's running some poor guy in a supercharged 68 or 69 camaro. He just eats him alive.
Old 07-25-2003, 02:31 PM
Inactive User

Just imagine what the HEMI car would have done if he had as much money in it as you have you're Chebbie
Old 07-25-2003, 06:01 PM
Inactive User

Imagine what it would have done if the guy just had a good set of ported heads, headers and a radical cam. Those engines breathe deep stock and a little opening them up gains huge improvements. My wife has heard there is a HEMI car around here in really rough but driveable condition for $2,500 I have her on the trail now She works at the auto shop on base so hopefully she can get a good lead on it soon.
Old 07-26-2003, 10:09 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally posted by bj96droppedram
Just imagine what the HEMI car would have done if he had as much money in it as you have you're Chebbie

I hear ya. You pay alot for new technology and cars. Dont think I wouldnt snatch up a Hemi if I had the chance. I'm still trying to figure what to do with the 71 460 interceptor motor in the grage.

I snatch up anything I can find for cheap. I mostly have chevys cause they are cheap and all over the place. I do have 1 Ford, 1 International and 1 Dodge.
Old 07-26-2003, 10:14 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
Imagine what it would have done if the guy just had a good set of ported heads, headers and a radical cam. Those engines breathe deep stock and a little opening them up gains huge improvements. My wife has heard there is a HEMI car around here in really rough but driveable condition for $2,500 I have her on the trail now She works at the auto shop on base so hopefully she can get a good lead on it soon.
I dont care if it was torched, for that money I would already own it. Thats the way I found my 1965 Convertible 4 speed Vette, torched.
Old 07-27-2003, 02:11 AM
Inactive User

allot of people just don't know what they have. I can't imagine a driveable HEMI car for sale at $2,500 I hope this is true and not just some B.S.
Old 07-27-2003, 03:27 AM
Inactive User

Congrads on the high speed race !! I wonder how fast that 2000TA will be in 34 years ? Technology is always hard to beat when it comes to racing. Its just taking everyone else 30 years to keep up with Mopar engineering.
Old 07-27-2003, 11:26 AM
Inactive User

Quote:
allot of people just don't know what they have. I can't imagine a driveable HEMI car for sale at $2,500 I hope this is true and not just some B.S.
I'll say a little prayer for ya.
Old 07-27-2003, 11:28 AM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally posted by darren509
Congrads on the high speed race !! I wonder how fast that 2000TA will be in 34 years ? Technology is always hard to beat when it comes to racing. Its just taking everyone else 30 years to keep up with Mopar engineering.
I know my TA will be dead in 34 years, I beat the piss out of it!
Old 07-29-2003, 04:33 AM
Inactive User

Default NICE

All the races ive ridden in *not 16 yet lol* have ended at about 60-70 when the other chevy or ford/rice backs out cuz they cant keep up Most the old mopars in my area are like that, babied to death, never run even half potential.
Old 07-29-2003, 08:48 AM
Inactive User

Kevws6, well at least you're not a wussy, there's a guy in my town who has one, with all the "stadard" rice mods, big ass ugly wing, lowered, rims and exhaust, and the guy is such a wussy, I think one day he might have pushed the gas halfway down, but I'm sure that's the closest to nailing it he's ever been, one night I went to the street races and he was there, I was in shock, thinking he's gonna race, so I raced him with my 96 RAM ext cab short box and I smoked him, after the race I asked him if he was running in two cylinders or what? he's like, Oh I'm still breaking it in, so I never floor it, he's had the car for at least a couple years now, maybe it's takes more time to break in a chebbie, but c'mon, two years, who's he tryimg to kid??
Old 07-29-2003, 11:17 AM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally posted by bj96droppedram
Kevws6, well at least you're not a wussy, there's a guy in my town who has one, with all the "stadard" rice mods, big ass ugly wing, lowered, rims and exhaust, and the guy is such a wussy, I think one day he might have pushed the gas halfway down, but I'm sure that's the closest to nailing it he's ever been, one night I went to the street races and he was there, I was in shock, thinking he's gonna race, so I raced him with my 96 RAM ext cab short box and I smoked him, after the race I asked him if he was running in two cylinders or what? he's like, Oh I'm still breaking it in, so I never floor it, he's had the car for at least a couple years now, maybe it's takes more time to break in a chebbie, but c'mon, two years, who's he tryimg to kid??

Sounds like he's in the wrong game. Tell him to get a tricycle and graduate up from there.

All is legal in street racing.......err maybe that should be illegal?
Old 07-29-2003, 11:27 AM
Inactive User

I told the guy, if he just wanted to LOOK fast he should get a honda and put a body kit and wing on it, then people won't laugh at him so much, cuz they expect him to be a wussy
Old 07-29-2003, 11:28 AM
Inactive User

Default Re: NICE

Quote:
Originally posted by WishIhadAC
All the races ive ridden in *not 16 yet lol* have ended at about 60-70 when the other chevy or ford/rice backs out cuz they cant keep up Most the old mopars in my area are like that, babied to death, never run even half potential.

Oh yes 15. That's when I started riding shotgun in my girlfriends older brothers 71 Z28. There use to be a lot more muscle around here back then.

Richard with his 68 427 fastback Mustang, Ray with his converted 73 355 Vega, Gary with his 74 455 SD T/A, Robert with his 71 340 Duster, The Duster actually squeezed out the T/A one late Saturday night. The Duster has long since been sold but Gary still owns the T/A. I need to stop. At the age of 35 still acting like a kid.
Old 07-29-2003, 11:35 AM
Inactive User

Growing old is mandatory, growing up, however is up to you.
I'm still just a kid (22) but my Dad is 51 and he's still thinks he's in his twenties, just the other day, I'm driving home from work and I see this crazy guy in a paint covered caravan passing like 15 cars on the shoulder of the highway, of course that was my Dad showing some kid that the race only ends when you stop racing, not always at the next light. I swear, he's gonna be like a kid till he dies
Old 07-30-2003, 12:31 AM
Inactive User

Laugh Mine too...

My dad is the same way. Some kids pulled up by me in a new Ford "boss" (or "wuss", was it?) and atarted revving the motor. My dad is 67 and has built more racemotors than most people will ever see. See my mods at the bottom of this post. They gun it hard at the first light, then have to stop again at the next. This light is the last one for quite a ways. The light turned green, they got about a half-truck jump (remember, I'm launching a 5,300 pound Crew Cab with two full tanks and about 500 pounds of junk in it) but by 60, I was ahead, and pulling hard till I backed off about 120. They kept hard after it and were pulled over about 2 miles down the road! Dad loved every second!
Old 07-30-2003, 11:41 AM
Inactive User

Default Re: Mine too...

Quote:
Originally posted by pcrmike
My dad is the same way. Some kids pulled up by me in a new Ford "boss" (or "wuss", was it?) and atarted revving the motor. My dad is 67 and has built more racemotors than most people will ever see. See my mods at the bottom of this post. They gun it hard at the first light, then have to stop again at the next. This light is the last one for quite a ways. The light turned green, they got about a half-truck jump (remember, I'm launching a 5,300 pound Crew Cab with two full tanks and about 500 pounds of junk in it) but by 60, I was ahead, and pulling hard till I backed off about 120. They kept hard after it and were pulled over about 2 miles down the road! Dad loved every second!
What's your track time and traps on that thing?

I'm taking my RV out to the local track. I'm going to race my buddy in his new Ford power stroke diesel.

You say RV against truck no way! My RV is only 18 feet I think his truck is 22 or 23. He has the weight advantage but I have the HP and TQ advantage.

It will be hilarious to watch these two go down the track.

Pictures of the RV
http://community.webshots.com/album/80994288yqzaAA
Old 07-30-2003, 10:51 PM
Inactive User

I can't wait to hear the results of that one..LOL
Old 08-04-2003, 04:16 PM
Inactive User

Default kevsws6

Here in Arkyland, we don't have a quarter strip, and only 2 eighths! A 5,300 pound truck doesn't launch very well. My best info I can give you is this: 10" wide 265/70/R16 ten ply radials (for load hauling), one tank half full and an empty truck resulted in a stopwatch telling 0-60 in 5.35 and 100 mph in 10.7. All this is provided that the speedo is correct under power. Wish I could run it at a strip, but since I beat around in it, I rarely ever run empty. Never beaten but once by a guy in a HEMI shortbed. That thing moved!!! I had about 500 pounds of parts in the back, but no whining. Bill "Maverick" Golden did a golden job on these heads!
Old 08-04-2003, 06:32 PM
Inactive User

I don wanna grow up im a ricer eatin kid!!!! That shud be our new motto for the site Whos with me!? lol
Old 08-04-2003, 07:41 PM
Inactive User

Count me in !!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-10-2003, 12:35 AM
Inactive User

Sounds good to me, now lets see what happens between the PS and the Motorhome
Old 08-10-2003, 11:07 AM
Inactive User

Thumbs up

Nice run Kevin.
Sounds like you have alot of time and money invested in that car.
You say it traps at 120, that should be good for low 11's with the proper gearing.
Old 08-10-2003, 01:04 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally posted by MOPARMANJAMES
Nice run Kevin.
Sounds like you have alot of time and money invested in that car.
You say it traps at 120, that should be good for low 11's with the proper gearing.
Its got 3.43's in the rear. Its a 6 speed on stock suspension with 10 inch MT Streets on it. I havent been able to do better than a 1.78 60ft. Our local track doesnt prep at all.
Old 08-10-2003, 01:09 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally posted by bjoehandley
Sounds good to me, now lets see what happens between the PS and the Motorhome
I just got back from a weeks trip to Shasta lake. The PS and RV will get to the track. Its just not top prority. Getting ready for desert season is. I have to port and polish the Banshee to stay ahead of the PS guy on his Raptor! Plus the PS guy has put some mods on his PS. Will see....
Old 08-10-2003, 01:17 PM
Inactive User

Default Re: kevsws6

Quote:
Originally posted by pcrmike
Here in Arkyland, we don't have a quarter strip, and only 2 eighths! A 5,300 pound truck doesn't launch very well. My best info I can give you is this: 10" wide 265/70/R16 ten ply radials (for load hauling), one tank half full and an empty truck resulted in a stopwatch telling 0-60 in 5.35 and 100 mph in 10.7. All this is provided that the speedo is correct under power. Wish I could run it at a strip, but since I beat around in it, I rarely ever run empty. Never beaten but once by a guy in a HEMI shortbed. That thing moved!!! I had about 500 pounds of parts in the back, but no whining. Bill "Maverick" Golden did a golden job on these heads!
Get it to the 8th then. If I can take my RV to the track you can take your truck. How are those new Hemi trucks anyway? One passed me on the way home from Shasta and he was moving!